Witcher 3

Soldato
Ok, so I took the potion to reset my abilities. Spent five points on all the blue second row, leaving me with 32 points...I used all the five available with a blue greater mutagen but I still can't access the third tier. It says I need an additional point in the tree? I can't use any more. I'm stumped.

Each ability can be upgraded.

Caporegime
I fired this up to have a look. Took me 30 minutes to find/buy a potion of clearance. :D

Anyway, you spend 6 points in the first tier to unlock the second. Then you have to spend a further 12 points in tier 1 or 2 (or both) to unlock tier 3. So it's 18 points in one particular colour (red/blue/green). And then 10 more points to unlock tier 4. This is indicated by the number under the padlock in each row.

Some skills can be upgraded several times - three points, five points, etc. so it may be that you didn't see that.

Last edited:
Associate
I fired this up to have a look. Took me 30 minutes to find/buy a potion of clearance. :D

Anyway, you spend 6 points in the first tier to unlock the second. Then you have to spend a further 12 points in tier 1 or 2 (or both) to unlock tier 3. So it's 18 points in one particular colour (red/blue/green). And then 10 more points to unlock tier 4. This is indicated by the number under the padlock in each row.

Some skills can be upgraded several times - three points, five points, etc. so it may be that you didn't see that.

THIS.

I suspect @Arcane hasn't invested enough in a particular area to unlock the next tier. Eventually for a spellsword build I will need to invest some in strong attacks (purely light attacks/fleet footed/undying at the moment) in order to have enough invested to unlock the final tier.

Shawrey

Soldato

This is what I'm confused with. If I buy the entire second row of blue, that's 5 points spent right? So then when I look at the third tier it says I need 1 more point in the tree to unlock it, but there's nowhere to spend that extra point?

I've tried unlocking the second row on all sections, just one, and also red and blue. I just can't seem to unlock any third tier. I'll screen grab it tonight and post it.

Associate
This is what I'm confused with. If I buy the entire second row of blue, that's 5 points spent right?

For combat/alchemy/signs you can invest multiple points in each ability as this multiplies the effects and bonuses. You can spend several points in each ability. Some have 3 and some have 5.

For instance: Muscle Memory which is the first 'Light attack' ability has 5 ranks so you can invest 5 ability points into it. https://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Muscle+Memory.

I want to be able to have the next Tier of 'Light attacks' which is Precise Blows https://thewitcher3.wiki.fextralife.com/Precise+Blows but as you can see in the link this requires 8 points total invested in combat skills.

"This skill requires 8 points to be spent in Combat Skills to be unlocked."

So if I then go to Strong Attack's 'Strength Training' and put 5 ability points into that so it is maxed out I have 10 points cumulative in Combat Skills which counts towards the requirements for unlocking the next Tier of abilities (in this case Precise blows however, unlocks the rest on that row including crushing blows - under Strong attacks and Fleet footed - under Defence etc.) with 2 points over the required amount for that Tier.

The game tells you in red in the description of the ability how many points left are required to be spent on all of the abilities in that field (Combat Skills/Alchemy/Signs) to get you to that Tier.

Shawrey

Last edited:
Caporegime
I started this again (not because the TV show as I haven’t had time to watch it yet) but just because I was bored with CoD and it’s taken over my life. I started way back on PS4 at launch and put about 30 hours in not even making to Skellige, now I just hit level 19 and have been and looked around Skellige a little and checked off Novigrad.

I’m also going more in on potions and bombs too and looting EVERYTHING!

the games taken over my life, I’ve got my full set of cat gear and want to go after the other stuff too.

I’d advise people to loot everything you can for ingredients and crafting, now I have my cat gear I also sell all armour and swords to my main armourer man in Novigrad square, he gives good prices!

this was a handy guide discovering the sellers that give the best prices

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/73274378

Post no7.

https://witcherhour.com/witcher-school-gear-sets-guide/

this is also a good guide to the different wot her gear and where to kick off the quests. Lots of stuff I’ve already come across just through exploring.

Caporegime
This is what I'm confused with. If I buy the entire second row of blue, that's 5 points spent right? So then when I look at the third tier it says I need 1 more point in the tree to unlock it, but there's nowhere to spend that extra point?

That's what you're missing. Those skills each have more than one point available to them.

Soldato
So, it's official, I am simple. You were right, I didn't realise you could upgrade the skills more than once. Thank you ic1male and Shawreyboy, I've upgraded shield and flame all the way, ploughing through anything put it front of me nicely.

Soldato
Currently on a 2nd play through and this game is just so damn fantastic, I have missed so much in the first time I played it and everything is somehow feeling fresh and new - I think that is helped by patches, DLC content and just forgetting half the game as it is so vast!

Just got a full set of Griffin armour / swords set and looting everything I possibly can and exploring everywhere, just taking my time with everything

Soldato
Completed the main story, hit level 35 and done all the Witcher contracts possible (well got the trophy, dont know if there is more in the DLC?), have got Mastercrafted Wolven Armour set - Going to mop up all the treasure hunts and question marks eventually

Just about to start the Heart of Stone DLC! :D

Soldato
Awwww damn it! Reading this thread makes me want to start the game from scratch again, and I've just restarted Alien Isolation :D

Might fire Witcher 3 back up, and just finish the question marks and whatever else I can find.... maybe, or I'll just start it all again, as it's so good.

Soldato
Quick heads-up for anyone who owns this on console. You can claim a free PC copy via GOG's Galaxy 2.0 launcher.

This includes people who played the game through Game Pass.

Back
Top Bottom