• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato

AMD have said forth generation Ryzen will be out late this year, and they will because they know Intel are wounded but not out and time is critical, they are not going to take the pressure off Intel and allow them time to recover.

** Inflammatory comment removed **

I said earlier in the thread that they'd likely release desktop in Q1 '21, and it ended up in you arguing with me. What has changed your mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Does it have to be anything specific, or can it just be a general realization?

That's fine, just 3 months is a long time to realise something you argued so vehemently against, you've now flopped to agreeing all of a sudden. Anyhow, don't really want to get into another 'discussion' like the last one, but would have been nice to know what changed your mind. If you don't know, or don't want to say that is fine, but that's the end of my input on the matter. :)

Caporegime
Didn't think it would be released this year as soon as the XT rumours started. Oh well only have to fork out for a couple of new consoles and a GPU now :D

Yeah, XT CPU's release in month 7, that's 5 months left in this year.

Usually Desktop CPU's are out before server, probably to bed in the node, this time were also getting new high-end GPU's from AMD and unless the are talking about "RDNA to????? Shouldn't that be two? GPU's" being workstation cards they are coming this year, that's a lot of demand on that enhanced 7nm node, perhaps they want to make sure they can supply demand for those GPU's.

Those XT CPU's are a consolation prize.

Associate
Hmmm I still think Ryzen 4900X or 4700X are coming October this year.

There is no stand-out reason why the gap between Ryzen 3000 first release and 4000 should be almost 2 years, this deviates quite significantly from AMD's roadmap claims.

Soldato
Hmmm I still think Ryzen 4900X or 4700X are coming October this year.

There is no stand-out reason why the gap between Ryzen 3000 first release and 4000 should be almost 2 years, this deviates quite significantly from AMD's roadmap claims.

2 years..........your are joking ? Yes ? The vast majority of the 3000 series was released last July. The last one being the the 3950x released at the end of November with next to no availability until Xmas. God almighty, some peeps have got very very short memories...........3000 isn't even 11 months old yet :rolleyes:

Soldato
I used "announce" to mean sort of "paper launch". Launching Zen 3 as server part or just on paper has same outcome for us.
Fair enough. I do however disagree because i think that share holders would kick up a fuss and could potentially sue them if they pulled a bait and switch like that.

Soldato
Fair enough. I do however disagree because i think that share holders would kick up a fuss and could potentially sue them if they pulled a bait and switch like that.

Share holders suing AMD for doing what is said at the FAD? They have only so far publicly stated that Zen3 will launch in 2020, and first and foremost committed more towards Milan than Vermeer. There has been no bait and switch as you put it.

Here's a link to this years FAD video, lots of good info in it.

Associate
2 years..........your are joking ? Yes ? The vast majority of the 3000 series was released last July. The last one being the the 3950x released at the end of November with next to no availability until Xmas. God almighty, some peeps have got very very short memories...........3000 isn't even 11 months old yet :rolleyes:

Well if you read it...I said 'first release' so ok, 2 years is an exaggeration, but 3700X landed all the way back in July 2019. If 4700X and co launch in March 2020, that's 20 months gap.

A Q1 release for Ryzen 4000 puts it in direct competition with Rocket Lake 10nm shrink to fit 14nm, with a rumoured huge IPC increase for first time since Skylake and similar clocks to current Comet Lake, meaning it'll be competitive with Ryzen 4000. This will mean they miss giving Intel the smackdown they deserve.

Soldato
Q1 release for Ryzen 4000 puts it in direct competition with Rocket Lake 10nm shrink to fit 14nm, with a rumoured huge IPC increase for first time since Skylake and similar clocks to current Comet Lake, meaning it'll be competitive with Ryzen 4000. This will mean they miss giving Intel the smackdown they deserve.

I think you got a point there. However i also think AMD is very confident with their zen 3 part that they will be comfortable with intel’s competition.

anyway all we can do is wait....and wait

Soldato
A Q1 release for Ryzen 4000 puts it in direct competition with Rocket Lake 10nm shrink to fit 14nm, with a rumoured huge IPC increase for first time since Skylake and similar clocks to current Comet Lake, meaning it'll be competitive with Ryzen 4000. This will mean they miss giving Intel the smackdown they deserve.

Rocket Lake is 14nm though, or is that what you are saying?

Soldato

An Intel mainstream 10nm sku is still pie in the sky in all honesty, they can't even produce enough 14nm products to supply the market as it is now. AMD are in my opinion doing the right thing by holding off Zen3 until next year for a number of reasons. The first and most important is to try and gain as much OEM market as they can when there is really no competition. Second is to gain even more of the enterprise and data center market, again when there is no competition. AMD already have the vast majority of the retail cpu market anyway, which is the sector that us on here are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom