2019 is now problematic

Soldato
I don't think Tropic Thunder is likely to receive much serious criticism, as the butt of the joke was clearly 'the stupid white actor who feels the need to blackface via surgery', rather than a straight up black facing scenario.

I think you're giving people significantly more credit than they are due. For some, it seems any excuse to get offended is worth jumping on, regardless of how justified or not it is.

Soldato
I think you're giving people significantly more credit than they are due. For some, it seems any excuse to get offended is worth jumping on, regardless of how justified or not it is.
The year is 2028 and OcUK forums are just another casualty in the internet wasteland. Their crime was facilitating the sale of illegal, unsanitised Blu-Rays in the Member's Market, not to mention the abundance of wrongthink... :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the whole black face in that film the joke? It's all about how absurd it is.

It's not like he's portraying a black person in a serious role.
I think after Leigh Francis came out and apologised for his characters in Bo' Selecta! all bets are off.
I believe prominent black figures even questioned why he was apologising for what was very clearly exaggerated jokes of both black and white individuals.

I do get it though, with everything thats occured I can see how an artist would look back on their work and question whether it was proper conduct..problem is the current atmosphere is preconditioning the artist to say it wouldnt be rather than being more objective about it.

Caporegime
Are you sure it's not because it glorifies Xenophobia (to the point even a young child has come to referring to members of another race as "monsters"), and portrays a group of government affiliated soldiers as the "good guys" even whilst they perform systematic genocide on that entire race - ultimately destroying their entire home (including a rather visceral scene where the children of that race are burned alive whilst their mother tries desperately to protect them)?

Heh.

Made me chuckle

Caporegime
I think it's time I started getting some downloads of old films.

Getting to the point where a film 5 years old will fall foul of a new trend and be removed from Netflix etc never to be seen again.

I do not like this slippery slope of censorship

I need to gather a list of films at risk.

Select * from Imdb where year(date) < year(getutcdate()) - should cover it

Last edited:
Soldato
We're being treated like children.

What does it mean to be an adult that we can't be assumed that we have common sense?

Do they really think watching Aladdin is going to make someone racist? Where is the proof?

And does anyone else here hate the word problematic?

Don
Harmful depictions of Arabs?

What are you waffling on about?

Does Frozen get the same level of cultural dissection based on its stereotypes of scandinavian and indeed English protagonists , antagonists

(the trope of the evil and cowardly upper class white English man as depicted by the lord of 'Weazeltown')

and other actors?

* see also most Star Wars movies (amongst others) where the baddies are often played by the common trope of the upper class white Englishman.
Well, if you engage in wokeness, then upperclass white englishman are the baddies!

Commissario
I think it's time I started getting some downloads of old films.

Getting to the point where a film 5 years old will fall foul of a new trend and be removed from Netflix etc never to be seen again.

I do not like this slippery slope of censorship

I need to gather a list of films at risk.

Select * from Imdb where year(date) < year(getutcdate()) - should cover it

Which one is your schema/table name in that request? :p

Soldato
While i agree it's been taking a bit too far, some one you are being rather melodramatic.
What was the downfall of civilisation? Was it climate change? A nuclear war? A asteroid?
No, someone put a trigger warming on a film and society fell apart.

Back
Top Bottom