Upgrading from i7-2600K, and feeling lost!

Soldato
Hi All,

My PC that I built in 2011 has given up the ghost - and I don't know where to start.

i7-2600K
16GB RAM
500GB SSD
And a few data drives
ATI 6850 Graphics - triple display.

I'm completely out of the game when it comes to new hardware these days, and it seems that Ryzen maybe the way to go?

My PC is certainly a workhorse, as I use it for work, photography and a little bit of gaming. Simulator titles mainly - ETS2, ATS.

Work wise is pretty varied from the basic stuff, Adobe Creative Suite, occasional use of virtual machines for testing.

Ideally I'd like to keep the built cost at a £1000 or less, but open to suggestions?

Many thanks

Soldato
Hi

You can build a pretty decent PC these days for a £1000, AMD Ryzen would be be the way to go yes they have come a long way since 2011 and are finally giving intel a run for there money.

I have made a selection of components for you so you can get an idea of what you could get for your money.

You can keep your current SSD/drives and use that for games/software ect but i have also included a 500GB nvme drive in the price.

Windows 10 can be had for around £12.

Have a look and see what you think.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £987.55 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Soldato
Assuming you don't need any extra storage you can fit the 3700X in there. You lose out on Ryzen 4000 support with B450, but there would still be an upgrade path to the 3900X/3950X.

The B550 chipset boards are due on the 16th June and will support Ryzen 4000, but I guess you need something ASAP ?

Are you going to reuse the case from your current pc ?

If going with the Phanteks P300 Air I would try and get the Arctic P14 PWM PST fans, as you can run them off a single fan header.

Total: £977.88 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
OP
Yeah Ideally I need to get something ordered and built this week.

Thanks for the idea so far, would like to replace the case as never been happy with it. I'll re-use all of my drives, and also the power supply is fairly new Corsair 800W or so.

Soldato
Yeah Ideally I need to get something ordered and built this week.

Thanks for the idea so far, would like to replace the case as never been happy with it. I'll re-use all of my drives, and also the power supply is fairly new Corsair 800W or so.

If you don't need a psu then you could bump the gpu up to a 5700XT.

Total: £840.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
OP
I never got this sorted as been a bit busy with various work projects.

What would peoples thoughts now being based on Ryzen 4000?

Soldato
Zen 3 isn’t due to release now til late Q4 apparently. Performance increase is reported to be 10-15%.

I wouldn’t hold off if you need it... But if you want to wait then go for it. :p

If you’re reusing your drives and PSU, you can get a good 3700Xrig with £1k like lee suggested last month.

C64

C64

Soldato
1600 af or 2600 if you want to max gpu upgrade money, an overclocked 1600 af or 2600 are almost as good as having a 3600

the msi b450 gaming plus max is pretty much a tomahawk max barring connection differences to save some money there too, i'd just go 3600 though as it is still better than the 1600af and 2600

The reason everyone says the msi tomahawk max gaming plus max carbon and mortar is they're are t he best performing only good performing vrm temp boards

B-die ram starts at about £130 though i just plumped for some lowish latency 3600 myself

Ryzen 4000 might be a generation everyone ends up skipping maybe the 3600 is the new sandybridge who knows it's always the way

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm running an i7-2600k I'm going to hold off upgrading now probably till next year, maybe be late this year.

Hardware prices right now are high, plus on a personal note I'm waiting to make sure my job is secure(ish).

Soldato
Hold. Technically just upgrade your GPU and run the i7

Thing is, most games it's actually ok, I'm running an EVGA1070 8gb, and most games run smooth 1440p 60fps.

But.... And I'm not really that much into multiplayer games, but PUBG for example, I tried it on my brother's computer and it's just smoother, I feel like my CPU just struggles just for like micro seconds, but the whole lot affects input lag, netcode etc. Where as I'm sure if I had a modern CPU I wouldn't get that. It's the minimum FPS that gets you killed.

I'm also at some point interested in getting a 140 Hz monitor 1440p, although I appreciate that's mostly GPU load even so the CPU will be needed for the minimum FPS.

Soldato
@BUDFORCE

What's CPU clocked to ?

PUBG about clock speed. Can use more then 4 cores but after that load isn't heavy

32" 1440p 165hz goes for £420 odd .

4.2ghz, it's the most I can do on my motherboard. I had to flash the BIOS for it to be compatible with a PCI-E 3.0+ card which meant I lost some of the OC support.

It's hard to explain though but a guy who did a YouTube about if it's time to upgrade from an i7-2600k, sorry I'll never find it, but basically said despite the stated FPS count it'll just feel much faster in a modern spec CPU, and it's true, my brother has a new(ish) Ryzen 5 or 7 thing, anyway, his monitor is also 60fps refresh so in theory should be the same, but on his PC it just "feels" smoother, a lot smoother. Hard to explain.

Back
Top Bottom