Main PCB module removed from panel and flipped over
eHgEYPB.jpg

PCB removed from housing showing fan assembly over GSync module
bdeeJdh.jpg

Heatsink removed - note thick layer of paste
qat36Ye.jpg

GSync fan
CgQaSTJ.jpg

Thank you for the comments and photos. I've initiated a return on my 1st 38GL (mfr date 05/20) due to hissing but haven't sent it back yet. The noise continues even when the monitor is off for 8 hours. I ordered a 2nd 38GL (sale price) but haven't tested yet. I've ordered 2 of the mouser fans (just in case) and they'll be here in 3 days. I'm emotionally invested in this 38" form factor and dread the idea of going back to 34" but the hissing, especially at this price, is annoying.

could you muster the will to create a simple guide for the disassembly and replacement? i returned my first unit a couple of weeks ago, but i still want this screen, even if i have to replace the fan myself, but i really want to avoid damaging anything as much as possible. also, can you please link where you ordered the replacement fan exactly?

thanks mate.

2nd person here interested in a guide. I'm mostly worried about breaking a plastic tab.

Thank you, ordered 2 replacements to see if I can fix the hissing on my 38GL mfr date 05/20

Associate
Thank you for the comments and photos. I've initiated a return on my 1st 38GL (mfr date 05/20) due to hissing but haven't sent it back yet. The noise continues even when the monitor is off for 8 hours. I ordered a 2nd 38GL (sale price) but haven't tested yet. I've ordered 2 of the mouser fans (just in case) and they'll be here in 3 days. I'm emotionally invested in this 38" form factor and dread the idea of going back to 34" but the hissing, especially at this price, is annoying.

2nd person here interested in a guide. I'm mostly worried about breaking a plastic tab.

Thank you, ordered 2 replacements to see if I can fix the hissing on my 38GL mfr date 05/20

enable deep sleep and the fan will stop spinning when you turn the screen off.

Associate

Is the 38" loads better compared with 34"?
I am almost ready to purchase a 34" widescreen, coming from a 22" 16:9, however now I see lots of noise on forums mentioning the Odysee and also 38" monitors.
a lot of money, just don't want to reggret hitting the button on the 34" if not too great.
I intend to use for gaming and maybe learn some occasional video editing.
Currently have i7 2600k and Vega56

Associate
I still look at this 38” screen and think it’s too small, not by much but could deffo do with a bit more. I suppose that’s coming down from a 49” for ya.

Your biggest challenge is pushing all those pixels and your video card.

Associate
Is the 38" loads better compared with 34"?
I am almost ready to purchase a 34" widescreen, coming from a 22" 16:9, however now I see lots of noise on forums mentioning the Odysee and also 38" monitors.
a lot of money, just don't want to reggret hitting the button on the 34" if not too great.
I intend to use for gaming and maybe learn some occasional video editing.
Currently have i7 2600k and Vega56

I started my monitor journey in Jan 2020 coming from a Dell 27" monitor and Vega 56; 34" will be amazing for you. I think the LG and Alienware (Dell) 34" Curved Ultrawide monitors are great. First I had the LG 34GK950F, then the Alienware AW3420DW, and eventually got the itch and bought the LG 38GL950G. If I could do it all over again I would not spoil myself with overpriced LG 38. I would either get the Alienware AW3420DW new ~$1000 or shop around for the older model AW3418DW (not the HW 1080p version) for ~$400-500. Currently I have the LG 38 and a 2080ti.

Associate
I started my monitor journey in Jan 2020 coming from a Dell 27" monitor and Vega 56; 34" will be amazing for you. I think the LG and Alienware (Dell) 34" Curved Ultrawide monitors are great. First I had the LG 34GK950F, then the Alienware AW3420DW, and eventually got the itch and bought the LG 38GL950G. If I could do it all over again I would not spoil myself with overpriced LG 38. I would either get the Alienware AW3420DW new ~$1000 or shop around for the older model AW3418DW (not the HW 1080p version) for ~$400-500. Currently I have the LG 38 and a 2080ti.

Thanks for your honest opinion.
I was looking at the 34 GN850. If this was in stock would be tempted to buy today as off work for a few days so it would solve my itch to treat myself.
What made you switch from the LG to the Dell? Was that not a small upgrade?

Would you say that 38 is a little too big?
I think because I sit close 34 may provide enough wow for now. It is still 1440p over 1080p so should still grab a bit more height.

Associate
Thanks for your honest opinion.
I was looking at the 34 GN850. If this was in stock would be tempted to buy today as off work for a few days so it would solve my itch to treat myself.
What made you switch from the LG to the Dell? Was that not a small upgrade?

Would you say that 38 is a little too big?
I think because I sit close 34 may provide enough wow for now. It is still 1440p over 1080p so should still grab a bit more height.

Especially since you don't have a 2080ti left I would recommend shopping for a good, used 3418DW and then putting that saved cash and perhaps some from selling your Vega 56 to getting a 2080ti.

Associate
I ordered a replacement GSync fan (same model) from Mouser in the US - the fan is pretty cheap but once you add in the VAT and Shipping it cost £25.

I'm happy to report that the hissing sound has gone away - there is still a slight warble from the the new fan (if you put your head right next to the monitor) but it is most definitely 'quiet' compared to the old fan.

So, if you have a hissing sound from the monitor it is most likely a bad fan - see https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33438986 for a previous post in this thread for a clearer recording of the noise from another user. Mine was exactly the same.

So, thanks for nothing LG - there was clearly a problem but you refused to stand by your warranty and recognise the issue.

My original and replacement 38GL makes a hissing noise (gsync fan) so I took my replacement apart. I took some photos along the way so I wouldn't forget screws and connectors; your photos make more sense now. I have 2 replacement fans from mouser per your recommendation but unfortunately each of those fans makes a similar 'hiss' noise just from spinning in my hand. Are you sure your hissing went away?

Discouraged by replacement fans also hissing I initiated a return on my replacement monitor which I have 2 weeks to send back. I've been web browsing for a few hours in a 20C room with my refresh rate in NVIDIA control panel turned down to 60hz from 160hz as a test, I thought maybe during non-gaming hours I could quiet the monitor but it's still hissing.

Watercooling a monitor sounds ridiculous but finding a generic waterblock to fit that module wouldn't be too difficult. Running tubing all the way to the PC seems excessive and so does making a water loop dedicated for the monitor. Cutting out the steel bracket and the plastic back wouldn't be difficult if I were brave enough to disconnect the fans and have a bigger fan or two blowing on that gsync modules cooler permanently. Could I splice in a Noctua 4-pin case fan into the proprietary LG connector?

I think the gysnc fan is running constantly and if it gets too hot then the 2nd, side blower-style fan, starts blowing to help cool more though I don't think I've heard this come on. For a moment I considered switching the fan plugs so that the side fan would run constantly and only if overheating the main (hissing) fan would start but the black and red wire locations on the 4-pin connectors are switched on the fans.

How do y'all monitor the temperature of the gsync module?

I'm out of ideas but I've got 2 weeks to decide whether to make this a very expensive project. I've considered buying a 38GN but they're still not available and I wonder if I'd notice a performance drop.

Soldato
These are the exact same questions I asked myself bud. With one difference.

I sent my GL back many weeks ago. And ordered the GN.

I'm currently running an AOC 35" from 2018. I figured that the gsync at worst will be the same as my current panel. Which is absolutely fine for me. .
But the kicker is the fact that you (other users) have had to crack open this panel and solve the problem which is a bit scandalous for a 1500 quid monitor.

Associate
Yeah still completely fine for me, nothing but praise here. Have asked family and friends if they can hear anything and so far no-one is able to, ranging in age from earlier twenties up to me at 42.

Seems to me like the bespoke fan is the part that varies in quality. There are alternatives but not from Noctua or the likes.

Associate
Are you sure your hissing went away?

Sorry to hear that the replacement fans are noisy as well. For me there was a clear difference in noise when manually spinning the original fan and the replacement. My monitor still makes a very slight hiss but you have to put your head right next to the monitor to hear it. So for me, it's something that I can (and indeed have to) live with as I'm outside my return window.

For me there is no doubt, if you have the opportunity to return it - just do it and move on. It's a lottery whether you get good one or not - you definitely shouldn't need to crack this open and try repairing it yourself for the money you've paid.

With regards to gsync module temperature monitoring - you can access this data via the service menu. In my case I could clearly hear my old (and very noisy fan) come on as soon as the module hit 50C.

Permabanned
hello guys whats the measurement of the screen vertical and horizontal? on this 38 inch? also anyone have a screen measurement of a 49 inch wide screen?

Back
Top Bottom