• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Current Temps - Problem?

Associate
Am running a 3900x (on Asus X570-E) which I have been running for about 3 months.

To begin with it was a shock moving from a 5820k (overclocked to 4.6) simply because the operating temperatures were so much higher on the 3900.

However having read up a bit I realised that this was to be expected given the number of cores etc.

Did consider that I might get better performance and/or better temps if I were to either run an overclock and/or a power plan but in the end decided that such did seem a bit pointless as long as the heat did not get too much.(overall I believe that looking to overclock would not give me much , if any, improvement in performance)

Running the pc today I noted that the temps have risen substantially - idle /tick over about 37 to 40c with it topping out when gaming at 72c.

Even though I would prefer them lower I do not believe that these temps are in any way a 'problem' - thoughts appreciated. (and if anyone considers that there is anything to be done please advise!)

Am running a cusom loop cooling both cpu and gpu.

Lastly just to mention that per the Asus website there is a new bios for my board which refers to a new
Update AMD AM4 AGESA PI 1.0.0.1 which I believe is a good thing which I will install tomorrow.

Soldato
Is that stock? I'm running mine at 4425Mhz all core, I can only mention idles at high 30's to mid 40's. Load in realbench/cinebench is high 70's, cannot give a game load, nothing utlises my CPU much, I'll play odyssey at some point as I do not have a game which pushes it.

Caporegime
Check your BIOS for any sort of performance enhancement settings, Motherboard vendors have very recently had their knuckles wrapped by AMD for too aggressive power plans.

The CPU's brain monitors voltages and amps coming out of the VRM's to regulate the CPU, what some Motherboard vendors have been doing (and Asus are one of them) is deliberately underreporting those aspects to the CPU to make it think it has more headroom than it actually has, the result is more volts and amps are being pumped into the CPU than what should be.

Go Into the BIOS and make sure performance enhancements settings are set to "Disabled" not "Auto" the BIOS update you see might be a fix for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Temps seem about right given the current increase in ambient combined with a GPU in the loop as well.

I am running a 3950X with PBO on a single 360mm custom loop and my temps in game are in the ~55-60 range (Idle all over the place due to the way Ryzen turbos...). Full load in something like Blender or Cinebench is 70c.

I imagine if I were to add my GPU into the loop the temps would go up by a few degrees thus be more in the ballpark of what you are seeing.

Associate
OP
My thanks to all who posted :)

Humbug - I found 'Performance Enhancer' in the Bios BUT the only options are :-
Auto ( which it is set at)
Level 1
Level2
Level 3 (Overclock)

Thoughts?

Generally I noted also that in my Bios under the Precision Boost Overdrive section all 4 are set at 'auto' (the 4 being Precision Boost Overdrive, Precision Boost Scaler, Max cpu boost clock overide and Platform Thermal Throttle ) - again thoughts appreciated as to wether to disable them all?

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 those temps are fine. You should try running Threadripper on air... :D TBF I have 24c/48t and my idle is 40-50 die temp, and under normal heavy loads about 60 to 70 (28 ambient). Synthetic/power virus loads (Realbench, Prime) are 90oC, under the worst case usage on worst case weather days. I'm happy with that. As long as you're under the tjmax don't worry about it. These chips are dense and warm, but very efficient.

Associate
OP
Am trying to be relaxed about it all!

I think that if one strips out the fact that temps do fluctuate (up and down like a yo yo ;)) whatever is going on (including next to nothing!) then my temps are reasonable and it is not worth losing any sleep over.

I did believe that in time the temps 'problem' would be solved with new power plan /bios BUT I am now of the view that given the facts that the cpu has double the cores (was on 5820k) on a very similar sized die etc that this is probably not going to happen - I will just have to live with it AND enjoy the cpu for what it is :D

Soldato
In winter my 3900X scored ~250 points higher in Cinebench. Its almost the same as winter for most things though, I just turned the fan speed up a little and gaming is 55-67C depending on game. Idle temp min = 32C but its up and down like they all are.

Soldato
Temps seem about right given the current increase in ambient combined with a GPU in the loop as well.

I am running a 3950X with PBO on a single 360mm custom loop and my temps in game are in the ~55-60 range (Idle all over the place due to the way Ryzen turbos...). Full load in something like Blender or Cinebench is 70c.

I imagine if I were to add my GPU into the loop the temps would go up by a few degrees thus be more in the ballpark of what you are seeing.

I still find it strange how without a manual voltage config the 3950x runs hotter in games than with an overclock. I verified the result myself and found in average a stock 3950x would use higher voltages than a manual voltage limit would to get it stable. I guess though it shouldn't come as too big of a surprise given that the 3950x uses less power than the 3900x through simply using a lower voltage curve. But anyway, if you want your games to run 10c cooler, manually set the voltage :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom