Headphones for fps

Soldato
Ive changed my setup yet again. I had convinced myself I needed a dac/amp nice set of headphones and had ended up with a iFi ZEN DAC and a set of Philips Fidelio X2HR. This was after trying lots of cans and amps.

Whilst it sounded good, I still found myself only using it at night so as not to wake the little ones with modern warefare blasting out till all hours. In normal hours and when listening to music I much prefer listening to speakers rather than headphones. Ive got a set of Dynaudio Xeo 2 Active Wireless Speakers which make amazing PC speakers.

So I packed up all the stuff and sent it packing to Amazon for a refund. And ive just ordered myself a set of MASSDROP X SENNHEISER PC37X headphones. Ill try em with motherboard audio first, if its terrible ill grab a Sound BlasterX G6. Id rather not have to as I dont need the 7.1 and I hear their software is still terrible.

Associate
OP
Fair enough, we all have different takes and it's been years since I used the HD598's myself so I'm possibly a bit nostalgic over them, although as stated I did find them exceptional in the price range for positioning. Of course, this was some years ago when you could find a set for around £90-100.

I absolutely agree on the tube amp statement, I've used a couple which were just flat out awful (although as stated it can depend on the tubes) and a couple which sounded exceptionally good. My Bottlehead Crack puts my HD650's on a whole different level, I can't say as to whether there's any solid state amps out there capable of doing the same but if there were I'd probably jump on it. I'm currently looking for a replacement for a WA7 Fireflies setup to go with my LCD-2's, ideally I want to get away from using tubes due to some of the problems that can come with but it's difficult finding something that offers what I want. Chances are I'll end up selling the HD650's + Crack to part fund something as the LCD-2's are pretty much my end game at this point.

@Bigbud I would be interested in knowing if/where you found the Tygr for under £200!

only place to get them is direct from manufacturer’s, mine are on way from Germany. Sound like a cracking set going by the YouTube reviews, and don’t need an amp ! Just need to pick up a mic now. Not keen on the mod mic so going to have to look desk mics

V F

V F

Soldato
Personally, after trying DT990s, DT880s, K702/K712, Mobius and others, I'd go for the Beyer Tygr R headphone plus a mic of your choice (ModMic perhaps). I'm just getting mine modded to have a removable cable and will use the Beyer Boom Mic once done to make a great headset for about £160/£170 all in.

Just fine the Tygr have the better balance for me to cover all uses. They image really well (to my ears/brain at least) and find I pick out directional audio with these better than anything else I've tried.

It took me a while to find a good setup for a gaming mic. Yamaha AG06 Mixer with Modmic v5 to XLR power converter.

Soldato
only place to get them is direct from manufacturer’s, mine are on way from Germany. Sound like a cracking set going by the YouTube reviews, and don’t need an amp ! Just need to pick up a mic now. Not keen on the mod mic so going to have to look desk mics

If you don't need super high quality the Trust GXT 232 Mantis is cheap as dirt and passable, bit of an odd design mind you but it works well enough for the price.

More than good enough for Discord/Skype etc.

There's a few reviews on youtube worth looking at.

Associate
Fair enough, we all have different takes and it's been years since I used the HD598's myself so I'm possibly a bit nostalgic over them, although as stated I did find them exceptional in the price range for positioning. Of course, this was some years ago when you could find a set for around £90-100.

I absolutely agree on the tube amp statement, I've used a couple which were just flat out awful (although as stated it can depend on the tubes) and a couple which sounded exceptionally good. My Bottlehead Crack puts my HD650's on a whole different level, I can't say as to whether there's any solid state amps out there capable of doing the same but if there were I'd probably jump on it. I'm currently looking for a replacement for a WA7 Fireflies setup to go with my LCD-2's, ideally I want to get away from using tubes due to some of the problems that can come with but it's difficult finding something that offers what I want. Chances are I'll end up selling the HD650's + Crack to part fund something as the LCD-2's are pretty much my end game at this point.

@Bigbud I would be interested in knowing if/where you found the Tygr for under £200!
The HD650 and crack is just such a fun set up. I spent so much time and money chasing the unicorn LCD-2 which are close to as resolving as the HD800, I finally achieved it and found it by chance but looking back I could've been just as happy with a HD650 and Bottle Head Crack with Speedball. I'm focused on upgrading my PC and learning coding but if I wasn't I'd happily grab the pairing again but recent HD650's are a bit harsher then they used to be. If you do ever decide to sale it give me a shout! I prefer simple Solid State with the LCD-2, best match I found was the Asgard 2 or Asgard 3 as they just go so well together without breaking the bank.

I do think with the right set up the HD650 is more resolving, than the LCD-2 but a good LCD-2 is just so responsive, musical people talk about ZMF headphones for their musicality but the LCD-2 does so many things well.

Soldato
The HD650 and crack is just such a fun set up. I spent so much time and money chasing the unicorn LCD-2 which are close to as resolving as the HD800, I finally achieved it and found it by chance but looking back I could've been just as happy with a HD650 and Bottle Head Crack with Speedball. I'm focused on upgrading my PC and learning coding but if I wasn't I'd happily grab the pairing again but recent HD650's are a bit harsher then they used to be. If you do ever decide to sale it give me a shout! I prefer simple Solid State with the LCD-2, best match I found was the Asgard 2 or Asgard 3 as they just go so well together without breaking the bank.

I do think with the right set up the HD650 is more resolving, than the LCD-2 but a good LCD-2 is just so responsive, musical people talk about ZMF headphones for their musicality but the LCD-2 does so many things well.

The WA7 really do justice to the LCD-2's in so many ways, and I leaned towards the headphones to begin with because I wanted a step up from my HD650's and they just seemed like the most logical option. In many respects they're so similar to the HD650's, just more responsive, the bass is possibly the best I've ever heard on a headphone shy of going for a higher end planar. I love the WA7 setup but as mentioned I really want to move away from tubes and like you I do feel like I'm chasing a mythical beast trying to find something solid state that does them justice. The only other option would be to punt for a higher end Audeze headphone as I genuinely don't think any other company (from what I've experienced at least) par perhaps Sennheiser with the HD800S come close in nailing every area that I look for in audio. I did spend a few weeks with a friends HE-500's which were fantastic, but they felt like a step down from my LCD-2's unfortunately, that said I've developed a definite preference for planars outside of one or two outliers and I very much appreciated the cans for what they were. I think if I'd heard them prior to falling down my current rabbit hole I'd have been quite happy sticking with a set.

If I do end up selling my crack/HD650's Ill be sure to let you know. The 650's are about 8-9 years old now but very well looked after and in pristine condition, I seem to remember Sennheiser having some QC issues a year or so after I bought mine due to changing manufacturer so I definitely timed my purchase well!

Associate
The WA7 really do justice to the LCD-2's in so many ways, and I leaned towards the headphones to begin with because I wanted a step up from my HD650's and they just seemed like the most logical option. In many respects they're so similar to the HD650's, just more responsive, the bass is possibly the best I've ever heard on a headphone shy of going for a higher end planar. I love the WA7 setup but as mentioned I really want to move away from tubes and like you I do feel like I'm chasing a mythical beast trying to find something solid state that does them justice. The only other option would be to punt for a higher end Audeze headphone as I genuinely don't think any other company (from what I've experienced at least) par perhaps Sennheiser with the HD800S come close in nailing every area that I look for in audio. I did spend a few weeks with a friends HE-500's which were fantastic, but they felt like a step down from my LCD-2's unfortunately, that said I've developed a definite preference for planars outside of one or two outliers and I very much appreciated the cans for what they were. I think if I'd heard them prior to falling down my current rabbit hole I'd have been quite happy sticking with a set.

If I do end up selling my crack/HD650's Ill be sure to let you know. The 650's are about 8-9 years old now but very well looked after and in pristine condition, I seem to remember Sennheiser having some QC issues a year or so after I bought mine due to changing manufacturer so I definitely timed my purchase well!
It's been a while since I've heard the WA7 I've forgotten how it sounds but not the looks, that thing looks gorgeous on a desk. I've always found the LCD-2 the sweet spot where as the LCD-3 moves away from the lush presentation to more treble presence, leaner, but not as hefty in the bass and the LCD-4 being the LCD-2 upgrade but too expensive. I had the LCD-4, I returned it, just couldn't justify it, I liked my LCD-2 that much I carbon fiberd the headband and will keep it around for rock, faster paced music. You should try the Verum one, it is a nice sounding planar, I preferred it the the LCD-3 I compared it with and would say it's a tad behind the LCD-2 I've got here but it has better treble extension. It trades off the LCD-2's lush voicing for a snappier, more forward sound but it never sounds harsh or rough. Apart from that I find it's hard to recommend a planar that is worth it over the LCD-2 outside of the LCD-4, HE-6, Verum, PMX2. Oh cool! I do love an oldie, I do find the the compression of pads etc makes the HD650 sound better over time so the older the better haha.

Soldato
It's been a while since I've heard the WA7 I've forgotten how it sounds but not the looks, that thing looks gorgeous on a desk. I've always found the LCD-2 the sweet spot where as the LCD-3 moves away from the lush presentation to more treble presence, leaner, but not as hefty in the bass and the LCD-4 being the LCD-2 upgrade but too expensive. I had the LCD-4, I returned it, just couldn't justify it, I liked my LCD-2 that much I carbon fiberd the headband and will keep it around for rock, faster paced music. You should try the Verum one, it is a nice sounding planar, I preferred it the the LCD-3 I compared it with and would say it's a tad behind the LCD-2 I've got here but it has better treble extension. It trades off the LCD-2's lush voicing for a snappier, more forward sound but it never sounds harsh or rough. Apart from that I find it's hard to recommend a planar that is worth it over the LCD-2 outside of the LCD-4, HE-6, Verum, PMX2. Oh cool! I do love an oldie, I do find the the compression of pads etc makes the HD650 sound better over time so the older the better haha.

Honestly the WA7 is possibly the most stunning headphone dac/amp setup I've ever seen, one of the reasons I'm loathe change to something else.

I agree entirely, the LCD-4 sees you running into diminishing returns hardcore. I really couldn't justify the price of it and the main reason I focus on headphones for my personal audio is due to living in a flat. In an ideal world I'd have a hefty speaker setup instead of my meagre Wharfedale 10.1's! I'll take a look at the Verum, I've seen a little about them before but never looked in too much depth. Honestly, in hindsight and an ideal world I'd either have picked up something like a Mobius from the get go or just stopped with the HD650's + Crack. I don't regret getting the LCD-2's but it's an ever ending journey with them no matter what you run them on, they sound amazing but you know you can still squeeze that little bit more out of them.

I do wish Audeze would vary their design a little, but in my mind at least they're at the top of the game in the headphone world.

Associate
OP
Personally, after trying DT990s, DT880s, K702/K712, Mobius and others, I'd go for the Beyer Tygr R headphone plus a mic of your choice (ModMic perhaps). I'm just getting mine modded to have a removable cable and will use the Beyer Boom Mic once done to make a great headset for about £160/£170 all in.

Just fine the Tygr have the better balance for me to cover all uses. They image really well (to my ears/brain at least) and find I pick out directional audio with these better than anything else I've tried.

Ive no other reference than my old PC360's but these Tygr300r's have blown me away, there amazing compared to what im used to :) Thanks for the suggestion

Associate
Hows the Beyer peaks of death? I've heard more tamed on them?

Yea - I'm quite sensitive to the usual Beyer peak but these are far more tame in that regard. I've read there is some acoustic fleece over the driver which seems to do the job :) Literally find I don't need to touch any eq at all with them which is more than can be said for the DT990 and DT1990 I tried!

Ive no other reference than my old PC360's but these Tygr300r's have blown me away, there amazing compared to what im used to :) Thanks for the suggestion

Glad you like them ;)

Back
Top Bottom