Music channels on Sky TV

Associate
I've always loved pop videos and have always been a fan of the music video channels on Sky, it's one of the main reasons that I got it in the first place so am very disappointed in the diminishing number of channels that are now available on Sky.

This last week we lost three more (MTV OMG, MTV Rocks and Club MTV). Just a few years ago there were more than 30 channels and now there are less than half.

There seems to be a broad userbase here, does anyone have any experience in the industry that can explain why they keep going?

Associate
OP
The reduction speaks for itself so yes, you must be right about popularity.

I do however wonder about the control and expenses though. Both Heart and Capital had channels which both shut at the same time. Vintage TV seemed to be totally independent yet was forced "online".

I miss them!

Caporegime
But that is pretty much why music channels are redunant. A few weeks ago i cancelled my virgin tv sub as I mainly watch stuff on youtube or other streaming services.
How long can Sky Tv and Virgin tv last i wonder?
Sky is actually going from strength to strength recently. They’ve added subscribers every quarter for over three year’s now despite many people’s belief that they’re dying. The diversification into having Disney+, Netflix and other apps on their Q box helps massively, it’s all in one place.

Soldato
Sky is actually going from strength to strength recently. They’ve added subscribers every quarter for over three year’s now despite many people’s belief that they’re dying. The diversification into having Disney+, Netflix and other apps on their Q box helps massively, it’s all in one place.

all on my apple tv aswell without the hefty monty fee for the sky package.

Soldato
Have to see I was looking for more in depth knowledge than "streaming" and "youtube".

You also have to look at the channels themselves, particularly their quality. Many of them were far less about music and just seem to pumping out rinse and repeat formulaic reality TV shows about people full of botox and tattoos. It's hardly music is it? Also adverts are a particular problem for music channels, the standard 12-15 mins of content followed by 3-4 minutes of adverts just doesn't work in todays environment, particularly when young people are by far the biggest consumers of music content and they can access virtaully ad-free stuff very easily. Even free content on youtube serves up less ads than TV, ergo less interruptions and irritations.

Also with the YT Premium VPN trick you can access Youtube Premium and Youtube Music for about £10 per year.

Caporegime
don't most people just watch music videos on youtube.

if you want them all in one channel then VEVO seems to have just about every artist or playlists linking to artists official channels
Vevo is an American multinational video hosting service founded on June 16, 2009, as a joint venture among three major record companies: Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and EMI.

if you just want indie stuff then the "radio" channels on youtube exist for almost every genre, they tend to be mostly unknown songs they acquire the rights to for cheap but most of it is just as good as the big names anyway.

often have this on in the background when I'm doing housework or whatever

Don
all on my apple tv aswell without the hefty monty fee for the sky package.
All on my Roku Premiere for an even lower up front cost vs an apple tv :)

if you want them all in one channel then VEVO seems to have just about every artist or playlists linking to artists official channels
VEVO app on Roku has been our go to alternative, since ditching Sky (and consequently losing music channels)

Associate
OP
don't most people just watch music videos on youtube.

if you just want indie stuff then the "radio" channels on youtube exist for almost every genre, they tend to be mostly unknown songs they acquire the rights to for cheap but most of it is just as good as the big names anyway.

often have this on in the background when I'm doing housework or whatever

This is an interesting factor too, the dominance of certain record companies, the same old, same old stuff. Dua Lipa could have a video of her taking a particularly difficult dump and it would be shown once an hour whilst there are other artists like the girl, whose name escapes me was in the news the other day because she wasn't eligible for an award because she didn't hold a British passport despite living here since she was an infant. I had never heard of her and never seen any of her videos on any channels.

Channels like VEVO are good but i like the randomness of not picking the next song yourself.

Back
Top Bottom