FA Cup Final Arsenal v Chelsea - Saturday 1st August *** Spoilers ***

Soldato
Only if he's denying a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity. The ball was running away from goal and a couple of Arsenal defenders were getting back - difficult to say that was clear enough to be a red.

I think with no one between him and the goal that’s a goal scoring opportunity personally. I thought the game was reffed poorly in general.

Don
Fair play Arsenal, very well deserved. It must be so frustrating being a fan knowing what they're capable of and then the next game getting turned over by some duff team.

Chelsea apart from the first 15 minutes were pretty terrible. Poor Frank :(

Soldato
Fair play Arsenal, very well deserved. It must be so frustrating being a fan knowing what they're capable of and then the next game getting turned over by some duff team.

Chelsea apart from the first 15 minutes were pretty terrible. Poor Frank :(

The injuries killed them off aswell. I need to start putting bets on my predictions :(.

Don
I think with no one between him and the goal that’s a goal scoring opportunity personally. I thought the game was reffed poorly in general.
Well he didn't have possession of the ball and the ball was going towards the corner flag, not the goal. At best he would have been shooting from an angle with 2 Arsenal players between him and the goal.

Caporegime
TBF, this is pretty impressive from Arteta. Don’t remember the last time we managed this in 8 months of the same season....

Mikel Arteta arrived in December & he has already beaten Klopp’s Liverpool, Pep’s Manchester City, Ole’s Manchester United, Lampard’s Chelsea & Nuno’s Wolves.

Underboss
Great end to a turbulent season, looking forward to seeing what we do in the market and what MA can do with a full season in charge.

COYG

Don
TBF, this is pretty impressive from Arteta. Don’t remember the last time we managed this in 8 months of the same season....

Mikel Arteta arrived in December & he has already beaten Klopp’s Liverpool, Pep’s Manchester City, Ole’s Manchester United, Lampard’s Chelsea & Nuno’s Wolves.

And probably the most impressive, Bielsa's Leeds.

Soldato

Its the improvement your defence thats the most inpressive imo. Under Emery you wete one nil down before it kicked off.

Still think you need a cb though and another in midfield. Grealish would be a good signing.

Edit. I didnt think he had improved your defence so i should add that. Just seen a stat of 0.7 goals per game from 1.5 under Emery.

Soldato
When I saw the line up of the teams I thought we had the beating of them. Our 11 is better than the Chelsea 11 especially upfront. Auba / Laca and Pepe is a much more potent front lineup than Pulisic / Giroud and Mount.

Also I think Arteta out foxed Frank today. Sit back defend and go on the counter and we got lucky and the cards fell Arsenals way.

Soldato
Interested to hear the neutrals views on this one - been having a lively debate with some friends, what do you think of the big decisions that went against Chelsea today?

For me the penalty was a stonewall pen, and given he wasn't trying to play the ball there is a case for a red card there (double jeopardy rule doesn't apply as there was no intend from Azpi to play the ball) - the official line is that Zouma was covering so it doesn't make Azpi the last man. My personal opinion is a red would have been harsh and would have ruined the game, penalty and a yellow was fair.

In regards to the second Arsenal goal, is that a foul by Bellerin on Christiansen in the build up? Bellerin bursting through, Christiansen slides in with a fantasticly well timed challenge but gets clattered by Bellerin as they're both getting to the ball at the same time. I know when the goal went in I was absolutely terrified it was going to get disallowed.

The Martinez 'handball' has been conclusively proved not to be a handball, although I certainly had my doubts a the time.

Kovacic should never have picked up a second yellow, that wasn't a booking.

That probably was a foul by Pepe on Pedro on the edge of the box just before Pedro got injured while running through.

This isn't some anti-Arsenal bias, I'm an Arsenal fan so absolutely overjoyed with the win and I think on the face of things we were narrowly the better team, but I'm really interested in what the neutrals think.

Associate
Anthony Taylor - Expected nothing less from that bell-end today.

The penalty was debatable, contact started outside the area but on the flip side it saved Azpi from getting a red, plus we were warned countless times before hand when Maitland Niles kept running in behind.

The Martinez handball wasn't even replayed (see below), and Kovacic's red killed the game. VAR has been a major problem all season and this adds more questions. I've no issues with it being used on yellow cards but for second yellows it absolutely should. They should be treated just like straight reds.

Taylor was just being his knobish self throughout the game though - examples like when blew the whistle whilst looking the other way when Tierney (?) went down and instantly got back up in the Arsenal area, then later in the second half completely missed Aubamayananagabanggang pushing Zouma in the back from a corner. Small things like that repetitively happened.

Overall we were crap after the first 15 minutes and Arsenal deserved their win, but I have major issues with Taylor ever reffing a final again. Twice now that tit has ruined it.

Moving forwards we absolutely need to get rid of some of the dead weight and under performers in the side. Rudiger, Christensen, Jorginho, Emerson, Pedro, Kepa, Batshuayi and Barkley can all say bye bye, and that's before you get to the vast numbers out on loan. I trust Frank to make the appropriate signings over the next couple windows, this is where he's now going to be judged.

IMG-20200801-WA0002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom