• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Sorry but i think they can and will blow NVIDIA out the water like they have with there cpu with intel

So do I, their silence is strangely reassuring.

I love reading post slike this based only on brand loyalty and dreams. To think AMd are going to "blow Nvidia out of the water" is an exercise in delusion. The best they can likely hope to do is provide performance in the same ball park at similar or cheaper price-points. If AMD had an Ampere-killer we would have seen controlled leaks before the Ampere launch in order to disrupt it. Their silence is not a good sign.

Saying that, I DO hope that AMD provide something competitive in the 3080 class and below... but considering this release has very strong price/performance then they are realistically going to be very hard-pressed.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at the computational specs of the Big Navi 21, if true, it would appear to be matching the 3090. Its only in RT that there might be a noticeable gap.

Pricing will be the key.

If AMD launch the Big Navi at £800 to £900 then the 3090 becomes overpriced and Nvidia will launch their £800 to £900 3080ti with 16/20Gb and 95% of the 3090 performance to compete.

It was the same with the pascal Titan. £1250 but then the 1080ti came out and matched it for performance but £300 cheaper.
Yep, that's what I see happening. The 3080TI is just short of the 3090 and the price of the 3080 suggests Nvidia are aware of the threat from RDNA2. I'm certainly not jumping until I see everyone's cards on the table. Buying without even seeing AMD's
offer seems the height of short sighted naivety.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see how these cards do in the real world with vram usage at really high resolutions.

I realise they have improved bandwidth and that IO thing, but im still apprehensive about possibly getting a 3070 because 8gb just doesn't seem enough, especially with the new consoles coming on the scene. 8gb shipped with the 1070 4 years go!

I would feel a lot happier if the 3070 and 3080 had 12gb each.
Im plannig to use the 3080 as a 1440p card. So hopefully ok with the 10GB

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm thinking people will need the Ti with 16Gb* VRAM quicker than they think, some clever vram marketing going on here, I'm suspicious of the 80/90 gap. I wish I wasn't cause it would be a no brainer.
3080Ti will fill it with 20GB and they will, probably want £900 or so for it.

Not a fan of 10gb ram, but would rather save the £300 and put it towards a 4070/80 which would have more VRAM in 18-24 months and take my chances with RTX IO.

Soldato
The other problem is AMD drivers have never been as robust as nVidia and especially in terms of features like GeForce Experience, Integer Scaling, performance/stability etc.
That's nonsense in my experience. AMD's driver software has been outright better than Nvidia's for quite some time, with a lot more features built into it. GeForce Experience as a positive? Not in this universe. AMD also offer integer scaling, image sharpening, a Shadowplay equivalent, built-in overclocking tools, performance metrics, an overlay, etc. They did let themselves down with the Navi driver bugs, but in general their driver support has been very good.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see how these cards do in the real world with vram usage at really high resolutions.

I realise they have improved bandwidth and that IO thing, but im still apprehensive about possibly getting a 3070 because 8gb just doesn't seem enough, especially with the new consoles coming on the scene. 8gb shipped with the 1070 4 years go!

I would feel a lot happier if the 3070 and 3080 had 12gb each.
Yeah, I'm apprehensive about the 3070 myself. RTX IO won't be available until next year, so it won't be making a difference any time soon. And the 3070 has GDDR6 rather than 6X.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Buy more and save money :D

There will be a Ti version out in a few months.
So I may as well buy the 3090....but. there could be a 3090 Ti next year hmmmmm :)
Lol.

So essentially you want the best. Well I am pretty sure that won’t be 3090 in 6-9 months time as they will either release a 3090Ti or Titan. Will you upgrade again then or be stuck with a 2nd best £1500 card? Smart money is on 3070/3080 imo ;)

Soldato
q1.png

Possibly a 240 RAD as well. Hell yeeeeah.

Soldato
Lol.

So essentially you want the best. Well I am pretty sure that won’t be 3090 in 6-9 months time as they will either release a 3090Ti or Titan. Will you upgrade again then or be stuck with a 2nd best £1500 card? Smart money is on 3070/3080 imo ;)

I will water cool it and clock the nuts off it :D

Still better then anything amd have ;)

Soldato
So do I, their silence is strangely reassuring.
Probably out of embarrassment or awe to be honest. I just don't see it. They're even in a different release cycle. So, they've not yet even exceeded the top end 20 series in sheeer performance let alone with regards to RT capabilities and now the 30** series. So considering the full feature set NV offers,I just don't see AMD getting the better of them for a long while yet.

Everyone will be buying NV GPU's this gen. By the time AMD launch a generation of GPU's will alreayd be bought :D. AMD would have been better getting somethign out as good as a 2080 Ti/2080, a few months before now, at a nice price point i think

Back
Top Bottom