Cheap ANPR

Man of Honour
I’m posting this in GD because I’m not sure where else it fits.

Background:
Asking for a friend. He has a private lane which is used frequently by cars travelling at up to 20, maybe 25mph. He would like to keep an automated log of the vehicles using the lane, and also have the ability to get push alerts on his phone if certain specified VRMs access it. Images are not required as he has full CCTV coverage already. He just needs the text log accessible over a network share and the push alerts.

I know there are COTS ANPR systems and cameras available but they are expensive and indiscreet. I was wondering if there was the possibility of a Raspberry Pi based solution. I have found some R Pi project logs but they have been for low and slow traffic areas, e.g. personal driveways so I don’t know if they’d be up to the task.

What say you OcUK?

Pez

Pez

Soldato
I saw that but, admittedly not being up to date with a lot of this stuff, I wondered if it wouldn’t be potent enough to deal with, at peak, say 30 vehicles per hour?

From what the article says, I don't see why not? :) For the cost of a rPi it's not an expensive roll of the dice either.

Man of Honour
That looks like it could be the software answer. In terms of hardware, what are the general thoughts on what sort of beef is needed to run this?
I imagine a Pi would do it. But you will also need an infra red camera to account for low light / night conditions.

Caporegime
Nah that’s not the problem. He has people regularly accessing his property without permission and he wants to know about it ASAP even when he isn’t there.
We have a private road nearby, the owner has installed a gate across it and opens it at peak times and (presumably) pays someone to collect a toll.

Man of Honour
OP
We have a private road nearby, the owner has installed a gate across it and opens it at peak times and (presumably) pays someone to collect a toll.
That would be ideal but a bit overkill for the situation. In an ideal world, there would be an automated gate which operates on a VRM whitelist, triggered by ANPR. But that’s iteration 10+. The idea right now is to do this for under £200!

Man of Honour
OP
That’s the sort of budget we are working to! :D
I imagine it will need weather proofing and whatnot, but that aside, considering the layout of the are and the feasible places the kit can be placed, it might need some telephoto capability. Come to think about it, IR night vision would also be required. But I can see from the offerings on that site that either is a possibility. Something to ponder.

Thanks!

Soldato
That would be ideal but a bit overkill for the situation. In an ideal world, there would be an automated gate which operates on a VRM whitelist, triggered by ANPR. But that’s iteration 10+. The idea right now is to do this for under £200!

Surely you can install a gate for under £200 and fit a padlock to it, then just copy the keys and give to whitelisted people ?

Caporegime

If he's keen to keep costs that low (sub £200) then why not just a gate with a (combination) padlock or lock of some sort for the people who are supposed to be travelling down the lane? I know it's extra faff but...

Also just a basic automated gate and issuing the people with remotes for the gate would presumably be less faff than using ANPR... I don't see why ANPR would be needed if a gate is involved and CCTV is already present as the gate negates many visitors... all you'd have left are perhaps the odd tailgate incident before it closes etc..

Man of Honour
OP
If he's keen to keep costs that low (sub £200) then why not just a gate with a (combination) padlock or lock of some sort for the people who are supposed to be travelling down the lane? I know it's extra faff but...

Also just a basic automated gate and issuing the people with remotes for the gate would presumably be less faff than using ANPR... I don't see why ANPR would be needed if a gate is involved and CCTV is already present as the gate negates many visitors... all you'd have left are perhaps the odd tailgate incident before it closes etc..
All good points but where’s the fun in that?

A locked gate isn’t feasible as the faff involved with stopping and getting out to open and close is not tenable. The users of the lane change frequently and administering the dishing out of keys, codes, or fobs would be a pain.

He just wants to know who is using his lane and when. That’s a higher priority than access control right now.

Back
Top Bottom