• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

20GB Vram vs 10GB on PCIe 4.0

Associate
Basically I'm waiting for the 20gb 3080 or one of the 16gb models. What I'm wondering is will a 20gb vram card need the PCIe 4, as the 10gb version I could get away with sticking to my i7 8700k on PCIe 3.

Is Vram even related to PCIe 3/4

Associate
If I recall correctly bottlenecking PCIe 3 would require a single card equivalent to ~2x 2080Ti which even the 3090 isn't.

However that isn't taking other PCIe devices into account you might have that could take up bandwidth.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Basically I'm waiting for the 20gb 3080 or one of the 16gb models. What I'm wondering is will a 20gb vram card need the PCIe 4, as the 10gb version I could get away with sticking to my i7 8700k on PCIe 3.

Is Vram even related to PCIe 3/4

i personally feel that only direct io access will fill up the pci 4 lanes with a top pci 4 nvme ssd. Graphic cards 2080ti only used pci 3 8x so a lot of headroom still to be used.

I know there is a lot of talk about a 20 gb and 16gb cards but I really can’t see them coming anytime soon. Nvidia stated that the 3080 was there highest end gpu for mainstream adding in another version of it soo soon would be disastrous to there product line. They could make one but i persoanlly belive it’s a midway card

Back
Top Bottom