Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
CINE is the lowest it's ever been, at 27p after the announcement about closures. It's been a very well-run company before Covid so I'm expecting it to bounce back eventually. Might drop lower than even 20p. Very closely monitoring.

Soldato
In accumulation funds the dividends are reinvested automatically (the dividend date is only there for tax purposes), you're not issued new shares. The value of your existing shares will be increased

Probably me being thick but... the value of my shares increases/decreases all the time as the market changes anyway doesn't it? That description almost makes it sound like you get absolutely nothing from it (effectively)

As to the corporate action... is there a way for me to tell what happened? There's not a lot of info in the HL interface

Soldato
Probably me being thick but... the value of my shares increases/decreases all the time as the market changes anyway doesn't it? That description almost makes it sound like you get absolutely nothing from it (effectively)

As to the corporate action... is there a way for me to tell what happened? There's not a lot of info in the HL interface

Look at the income and accumulation funds:
https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-dis...esults/v/vanguard-ftse-100-index-accumulation
https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-dis...arch-results/v/vanguard-ftse-100-index-income

Accumulation is at 10,090.88p versus 8,653.04p for income. These Vanguard funds were launched in 2016 (at equal valuations), so that's the difference that dividend reinvestment has had in the last 4 years. If you look at the HSBC equivalents which launched in 1994 (accumulation, income), it's 197p versus 97p. That's the difference of 26 years of dividend reinvestment. You can buy income funds and use the money to buy more shares in the income fund, you'll have more shares of a fund that's worth less, versus fewer shares of a fund that's worth more. So the end result is mathematically the same.

Regarding corporate actions, these are announced by companies so there should be a way to look them up. Funds usually give a quarterly update which includes information about corporate actions of the stocks that they hold. If you haven't heard or found anything, it's probably something very minor, like an equalisation adjustment due to the timing of your transaction and dividend payments. If you contact HL they will give you the exact reason.

Soldato
CINE is the lowest it's ever been, at 27p after the announcement about closures. It's been a very well-run company before Covid so I'm expecting it to bounce back eventually. Might drop lower than even 20p. Very closely monitoring.

Already added to the watch list, could be an interesting one, question is how many of these companies will last until Christmas, let alone March time which I think it'll be before things start getting back to any sort of actual normal.

Associate
While CINE did make great profits pre-COVID, the debt on the balance sheet means I wouldn't invest, rapid vaccine development and return to normal and it could shoot up though.

Caporegime
Cineworld is a massive gamble. And might get a dilution too?

I was expecting my recently bought ezj shares to dive today. For some reason they are up?makes no sense

Soldato
Cineworld is a massive gamble. And might get a dilution too?

I was expecting my recently bought ezj shares to dive today. For some reason they are up?makes no sense
This is where the film industry needs to think longer term and for the industry not just a single studio's short term return on investment. On the assumption that the studios don't see a wholesale shift to online distribution then surely they have to play a role in preserving the cinemas. The big problem for CINE will be avoiding a default on the debt they have which is substantial and that is what makes this a risky punt. If it runs out of liquidity then suitors might prefer the debt to be written off making an insolvency more likely. Conversely CINE might be able to refinance and buy some time assuming the debt holders don't want a big haircut. Its down at 22p now and I am tempted to take a punt.

Caporegime
This is where the film industry needs to think longer term and for the industry not just a single studio's short term return on investment. On the assumption that the studios don't see a wholesale shift to online distribution then surely they have to play a role in preserving the cinemas. The big problem for CINE will be avoiding a default on the debt they have which is substantial and that is what makes this a risky punt. If it runs out of liquidity then suitors might prefer the debt to be written off making an insolvency more likely. Conversely CINE might be able to refinance and buy some time assuming the debt holders don't want a big haircut. Its down at 22p now and I am tempted to take a punt.

Its tempting at a small punt. Its 10x lower than it was. Even 1k would be 10k (not expecting it to get back to 220 but you know..

Soldato
Agreed, it's almost worth the small punt for curiosity stakes.

Not that my small punt is a grand however :p

EDIT - Gone with a limit order at 23p. They've recovered slightly from when i first looked when they were about 21p and i'm being cautious!

Last edited:
Caporegime

Yeah I've rethought and thinking about half that I dunno. Its a bit gambling eaque for me.

EDIT - Gone with a limit order at 23p. They've recovered slightly from when i first looked when they were about 21p and i'm being cautious!

Soldato
Yeah, i've gone with £500

I figure todays hit is mainly driven by panic but realistically shutting down is the sensible option. I imagine it'll recover in the short term and i'll likely kick myself not just buying at 25p as i reckon it's a quick easy 20% trade. But i'm trying to keep my sensible head on. One thing my history has taught me is to be sensible with trades and not let emotion/greed override my decisions (i'm looking at you Quindell!)

I'd also imagine landlords would be receptive to decent terms/reductions on rent, because those buildings aren't really usable for anything else so they'd be shooting themselves in the foot by pushing for insolvency as they'd just be left with large empty buildings (given that the competition likely already have venues in the area)

Soldato

I've got in at £0.237 - £500. Let's see what happens! :(

Soldato
Just got an email from Cavendish Online to say they've been bought by Fidelity.

Shouldn't make too much difference seeing as I managed my S&S ISA through the Fidelity platform anyway but it will be interesting to see if they put the platform charges up in 12 month's time.

Soldato
Accumulation or Acc saved my bacon on a poorly timed ftse fund buy because it keeps reinvesting something. It would have been better if I added regularly instead of a lump sun, I didnt but at least some new units were going in at the lows so it came good.

The big problem for CINE will be avoiding a default on the debt they have which is substantial and that is what makes this a risky punt.

They are in trouble then because thats a year or more of debt repayments to find with no profits

operations might resume in "two months, or a bit longer".
Dont really believe that, its better to buy into a recovery if they remain capable of that. Bonds > shares

Caporegime
Accumulation or Acc saved my bacon on a poorly timed ftse fund buy because it keeps reinvesting something. It would have been better if I added regularly instead of a lump sun, I didnt but at least some new units were going in at the lows so it came good.

They are in trouble then because thats a year or more of debt repayments to find with no profits

Dont really believe that, its better to buy into a recovery if they remain capable of that. Bonds > shares

Yeah I can't see much chance of them getting anything open before Christmas.

Rent and debt increase are both going on with no takings

Might be wrong but what films are even due out?

Associate
Yeah I can't see much chance of them getting anything open before Christmas.

Rent and debt increase are both going on with no takings

Might be wrong but what films are even due out?

I think I read the debt is trading in the 60s so lenders aren't expecting a decent recovery.

Back
Top Bottom