• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
The 3700X will out perform the 5800X in multithreaded workloads and in terms of heat the 3700X also comes with a much better cooler so should be better in this regard also.
Only in near-perfectly threaded tasks, right? Otherwise the clock and IPC advantage would crown the 5800X?

Associate
Isn't it the case that 6 fast cores are pretty much always better than 8 slower cores (for the same overall GFLOPS)? Just as 1 super fast core today, is far more useful than a 1000 core supercomputer from the 90's even if the theoretical performance is the same.

I think the 5600X will often be a better choice than the 3700X, not least as I'm expecting it use less power.
This is my understanding. Cores are a workaround to getting more performance. A single monster core is easier to program for and can handle whatever.

Caporegime
Lol. Moves the goal posts again, typical Psycho :p

You would rather save that time and use the time saved to argue about how pointless it is here right?

Just admit, you got it wrong, you have contradicted yourself plenty ;):D

if the software had never been released i would never bother about it.

nothing to do with changing goalposts.

i would never spend days trying to tweak a cpu because it makes zero difference for my usage.

i overclocked my gpu and saw modest gains. cpu is even less for more work. pointless.

however i can click a button now. only an idiot wouldn't be able to see the difference between the two.

press a button vs days of tweaking. i'm still opposed to one of them as i always have been. not changed my views on the pointless exercise it is spending days to clock a cpu by 50 mhz.

if you can't tell the difference that says it all maybe stop smoking green for a while. also my motherboard won't support the new cpu's most likely either. so even if it was cheaper i wouldn't have bought because the cost of motherboard plus cpu wouldn't be worth it.

again not a huge deal i get 500 fps in the main game i play

Last edited:
Associate
Isnajr

i would never spend days trying to tweak a cpu because it makes zero difference for my usage.

i overclocked my gpu and saw modest gains. cpu is even less for more work. pointless.

however i can click a button now. only an idiot wouldn't be able to see the difference between the two.

press a button vs days of tweaking. i'm still opposed to one of them as i always have been. not changed my views on the pointless exercise it is spending days to clock a cpu by 50 mhz.

if you can't tell the difference that says it all maybe stop smoking green for a while. also my motherboard won't support the new cpu's most likely either. so even if it was cheaper i wouldn't have bought because the cost of motherboard plus cpu wouldn't be worth it.

again not a huge deal i get 500 fps in the main game i play

Is automatic over clocking better than it used to be? Loads of voltage for small gains?

Soldato

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

if you can't tell the difference that says it all maybe stop smoking green for a while
Lol. But before you said it was pointless, now you say it is not pointless. Make up your mind. It does not take "days" to manually do it, you are making that up. So many things you have said you went on to contradict. We all get things wrong, happens to us all, you got it wrong, simple :p:D

You have probably spent as much time arguing about this then I have overclocking it manually. You time cannot be that valuable then can it. Just an excuse ;)

Soldato
Looks like Zen 3 just got a whole lot more expensive for Asus pre 500 series owners.

I love the way they say to just go and buy an Asus X570 or B550 just to rub salt into the wounds.
Yeh just buy a new board and make sure it isn't a Asus board that's the only way to get back at them don't buy there products can't blame this on amd typical asus

Caporegime
Lol. But before you said it was pointless, now you say it is not pointless. Make up your mind. It does not take "days" to manually do it, you are making that up. So many things you have said you went on to contradict. We all get things wrong, happens to us all, you got it wrong, simple :p:D

You have probably spent as much time arguing about this then I have overclocking it manually. You time cannot be that valuable then can it. Just an excuse ;)

clutching at straws now?

Its easier to have this tool then run it to find a sweet spot. I had the 3600 from launch, and manually faffing with the BIOS settings, memory timings takes a lot of time. Obviously this is old school overclocking so happy to have that granularity.

If your out for something quick and dirty its a really good tool. It makes the CPU run cooler with a small bump over the regular stock setup.

Its a decent tool, very easy to use and confirmed what I suspected, my 3600 is pants, bronze. I held off buying one for months and still ended up with one from the first batch. Went from 3460-3615 to 3791 on cb20 just using stock test 1250mv.

it's amazing how so many people are now using this tool and overclocking now that never did before?

i said manual overclocking is pointless and i'm still saying that today. maybe we need to get someone to draw you a picture as you are having trouble understanding simple english.

so all these people who never bothered before and are now using the tool are they also hypocrites?

maybe this analogy will help you.

you have a car but to tune it you need a mechanic to spend 3 days on it. you will lose use of the car for 3 days whilst the mechanic tests for the best gains and stability.

or you can buy a chip, plug it in and away you go.

only the most anal of nerds would pick option 1.

Associate
Damn. Betrayal or justified?
Can't be justified as most competititors will make it work.
I suspect communication breakdown. As in there will be no support at launch. And information about January BIOS release hasn't trickled down to whoever was answering the question

Associate
Can't be justified as most competititors will make it work.
I suspect communication breakdown. As in there will be no support at launch. And information about January BIOS release hasn't trickled down to whoever was answering the question
That's plausible, with them staggering for 400 series boards.

it's not done in bios but software based. its a brand new software which only released literally a few days ago.

there is a thread about it go read it.
Okay, will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
clutching at straws now?

it's amazing how so many people are now using this tool and overclocking now that never did before?

i said manual overclocking is pointless and i'm still saying that today. maybe we need to get someone to draw you a picture as you are having trouble understanding simple english.

so all these people who never bothered before and are now using the tool are they also hypocrites?

maybe this analogy will help you.

you have a car but to tune it you need a mechanic to spend 3 days on it. you will lose use of the car for 3 days whilst the mechanic tests for the best gains and stability.

or you can buy a chip, plug it in and away you go.

only the most anal of nerds would pick option 1.

Any of this directed at me? I have used both methods and in between done two BIOS updates, but have been manually overclocking since 1999.

Associate
People, when do you think the 5900x will be equivalent to the 6600k?

By which I mean - until recently I was in a 6600k and was going to upgrade this generation because most things were bottlenecked by the CPU. So I had that chip around 4.5-5 years before it no longer held up in gaming.

How long do we reckon until the 5900x again reaches that same point?

Edit to add: Because I'm weighting up a very long life Vs high price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom