Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
CBT completed yesterday, put myself down for manual but ended up on a ped with a 16 year old lad doing the cbt with me. I think with covid and the small groups (2 in a group) there's got to be a little understanding. Even going on the little ped i enjoyed it, obviously had no power but just to get an introduction to biking was good and instructor was decent. Originally i was going to do the CBT then get a 125cc but i don't the cost of a 125 and the fact that the speed will annoy me its worth it. Asked @ the training center about getting used to gears on a bike and he said they would cover that of when i do the full license which is very much next on my to do list. Just need to wait for impending lockdown to end then i'll book my theory.

Soldato
So this morning I took the BMW R18 for a demo ride.

An interesting riding position, very wide and low bars, with a super low seat height , shame BMW didn’t do something with the switchgear housings to make them look less cheap plastic. gearbox a bit agricultural "clonk clunk" and my feet were against the cylinders while shifting and braking but I guess that’s something that could be adjusted out to a degree.
Didn’t touch the riding modes, left it in “Roll”, instrument display was very clear. The motor is an absolute peach, so effortless. It had a reverse gear but didn’t try that. Thankfully the demo had heated grips fitted so that was nice .roads were dry and it was super windy.
Please don’t take this as a brag but I touched the footpegs down on both sides while cornering sedately (I’m no racer) so that was a surprise.
The Exhaust sound was disappointingly muted, you seem to get more of and induction sound from the airbox tbh.

Was out on it for just under an hour and nothing bad to say about at all. Thankfully avoided the rain until I was on my way home so that was good.
If I was in the market for a cruiser and had this much to spend I’d be looking elsewhere though as this just left me feeling a bit meh, maybe I’d go for the Guzzi 1400 Cali touring or maybe a Harley Davidson.

If you are interested of even just curious give one a try if/when you get the chance, definitely worth experiencing the motor

Soldato
I've cancelled my insurance/tax for winter as it's not suitable to ride to work, and realistically I won't have much spare time, plus I'm a fair weather rider so would be a rare moment to go out even so.
Other than giving it a clean, lubing the chain and disconnecting the battery, is there anything else I need to be doing either now or in the next 3-4 months?

Hopefully, I'll do my full licence before next May when my CBT is up. A place near me is already booked up until March!

Soldato
I've cancelled my insurance/tax for winter as it's not suitable to ride to work, and realistically I won't have much spare time, plus I'm a fair weather rider so would be a rare moment to go out even so.
Other than giving it a clean, lubing the chain and disconnecting the battery, is there anything else I need to be doing either now or in the next 3-4 months?

Hopefully, I'll do my full licence before next May when my CBT is up. A place near me is already booked up until March!

I do that (I don’t ride any of mine once the gritters come out) plus make sure the fuel tank is full (avoid fuel preserver/stabiliser) and the bike is upright if possible as opposed to being on the sidestand

I’ve never had a problem in over 30 years

Soldato
Too late about the fuel! Everything cancelled already. I think there's about a quarter tank left, hopefully ok!
And hadn't thought of taking the battery indoors. Perfect, thanks all! :)

if you’re able to get hold of a little 5L Jerry can and fill it that way, I recommend you do so. You don’t want a rusted fuel tank and system. Filling the tank minimises oxygen in the tank to react with the fuel and drives corrosion

Soldato
CBT completed yesterday, put myself down for manual but ended up on a ped with a 16 year old lad doing the cbt with me. I think with covid and the small groups (2 in a group) there's got to be a little understanding. Even going on the little ped i enjoyed it, obviously had no power but just to get an introduction to biking was good and instructor was decent. Originally i was going to do the CBT then get a 125cc but i don't the cost of a 125 and the fact that the speed will annoy me its worth it. Asked @ the training center about getting used to gears on a bike and he said they would cover that of when i do the full license which is very much next on my to do list. Just need to wait for impending lockdown to end then i'll book my theory.

Won't take you long doing a bit of start stop stuff off the road. A bigger bike is much easier to ride than a geared 125 anyway, in my opinion.

Soldato
Won't take you long doing a bit of start stop stuff off the road. A bigger bike is much easier to ride than a geared 125 anyway, in my opinion.
I was quite impressed with the company who i did it with, i emailed them asking for a breakdown of costs for getting the license and let them know i enjoyed the day but was a little surprised to be on a ped, the owner got back apologising as he had made an error with the booking, said once lockdown is over he will sort out a 1 on 1 lesson with a geared bike for me free of charge and when i book my tests / training he will discount them. Pretty good as i wasn't complaining to them and was generally happy with the day.
Working with people who are into their bikes i will be impressed if i get to the end of next year without getting a bike. Kawasaki Ninja 650r gets good reviews (https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/kawasaki-ninja-650r-beginner-bike-profile-owner-reviews/) and there's quite a few around second hand. Strangely they're cheaper than the 125 versions second hand.

Man of Honour
Just like little "learner friendly" cars 125s sell for a premium because almost anyone can ride them, they're cheap to run and if you service them even vaguely sensibly they'll last forever.

Also there's a relatively small pool of 125 models whereas there's loads you can buy with your full licence.

The plus side for buying a 125 is again like little learner cars you could ride it for a year or two and basically lose no money on it.

Soldato
As above, the cost and age restrictions of getting a CBT are noticing which is why 125s command a premium. A full licence costs considerably more but you open up world cheap bikes. Here's a 600 for less than a grand.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YELLOW-2...891311?hash=item2f4cea5fef:g:oMUAAOSwH3Fflvzt
See something like that looks miles better than most of the 125s. As long as the acceleration isn't to brutal I can't see it being to much of a problem. Ideally something where I can turn rhe throttle ans get speed gradually and then if I want to floor it then red line it. Kinda like the civic type r I had that was pretty slow unless you were about 5k revs.

I'm hoping I can get the tests and bits done for less than 600 but thats a finger in the air guess at costs and kinda what I could put aside without feeling it to much

Transmission breaker
Don
Because of the license system here, any smart looking 125 with an MOT is worth 1k minimum.
Even if it's ancient!
Just changed the engine in a 2004 (I think) cbr125 for my neighbour, cleaned it up, serviced it wrapped some body panels and will advertise it for more than £1k and likely sell for £1k

Hornet 600 is a very rideable bike, super forgiving riding position, enough poke to be fun, and looks pretty smart done up :)

I have one, and it's an amazingly reliable hack, but can still hold its own on a spirited rideout with sportsbikes.

Man of Honour
I'm possibly looking for a 125 and can confirm the prices are silly for even old stuff. I wasn't initially going to bother getting one. But my brother probably isn't selling his vespa now and my theory test and DAS have all been pushed back due to the lock down. So I may get one as practice and then sell it later. But prices are high for anything learner legal. I've been looking at CBF's and YBR's.

On the positive side it will sell for the same as I buy it so it's not too expensive to do.

Man of Honour
Associate
Anyone know what type of maintenance charger plug this is? Maybe optimate or Oxford products?
]
123241886_10158917365032889_130504186637207447_o.jpg
[/SPOILER

Back
Top Bottom