• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 - 3x 8pin Question

Associate
Hey there I currently own a 750w PSU with 3 8pin slots , right now I'm using 2 of the slots one for CPU and the other one for a split 2x 6+2 for my 1080.
I'm upgrading to msi Trio 3080 soon and I was wondering how should I distribute the cables.
Am I keeping the split cable to fill the first two, and then from the 3rd psu slot I send a straight 8pin? Or do I have to use another split cable (even if I use only one of them)

Any info would be appreciated

Soldato
The 8 pin connector for the CPU (called EPS) can't be used as 8 pin PCIe power because they're wired differently. You'll need an adaptor to get power from molex or sata power.

Soldato
What is system spec? Specifically PSU, mobo and CPU?

You'll need an adaptor to get power from molex or sata power.

wqMWK7z.gif

Associate
OP

So now one is for cpu, one for gpu (ends at 2x 6+2) should I get any aftermarket single 6+2 and send it straight to the last gpu slot?

Associate
Soldato
Those adaptors are frowned upon and I wouldn't like to use one myself, hense the feedback from my suggestion, but it's either that or a new PSU.

How old is the PSU? If it's over 5 years old then perhaps a new one wouldn't be so bad.

Associate
OP
Yes its over 5 years but I was trying to save money as I over spent for my recent build hehe. Any decent not overpriced suggestions with more than 3 8pin slots?

Soldato
Soldato

So now one is for cpu, one for gpu (ends at 2x 6+2) should I get any aftermarket single 6+2 and send it straight to the last gpu slot?

Check the box, the RM750 comes with two cables that split into 2x 6+2pin PCIe connectors. So use two of those cables, to provide the 3 6+2pin connectors for the card.

Then use the 3rd slot for the CPU power.

No need to change PSU yet.

Associate
OP
Check the box, the RM750 comes with two cables that split into 2x 6+2pin PCIe connectors. So use two of those cables, to provide the 3 6+2pin connectors for the card.

Then use the 3rd slot for the CPU power.

No need to change PSU yet.
That was my original idea. The only problem is that I don't have the 2nd split cable anymore.
What if I buy any aftermarket 6+2 cable (extension) and send it straight to the 3rd gpu slot? Wouldn't do the job?

Edit:
Something like that

Associate
that would work, just make sure that its got the correct ends...... extensions will usually be Male on one end Female on the other, whereas a replacement cable will be Female to Female

Associate
That will not work. It's an extension only, it doesn't have any way to plug into the PSU.

Theres a few copanies that do custom cables that can be specced to connect to the PSU, i.e. Cablemods, or you can probably buy original Corsair cables separately too if you look online.

Associate
That was my original idea. The only problem is that I don't have the 2nd split cable anymore.
What if I buy any aftermarket 6+2 cable (extension) and send it straight to the 3rd gpu slot? Wouldn't do the job?

Edit:
Something like that

I have a few Corsair 2x6x2 cables sat doing nothing in the box at home as I use cablemod cables. Fire your address over and I'll throw them in the post for you later this week. Full of man flu at the minute so may take a few days, but you're welcome to them.

Back
Top Bottom