Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 15/17

Rate the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Hams tested positive for COVID so won’t be racing Sunday.

Oh no! Get well soon, Hamilton. Diagnosed on Monday, so quite likely infectious on Sunday, there could be a lot more people going down with this. Thank goodness he'd already taken the season but a shame he's lost his shot at the highest percentage of wins in a season.

Vandoorne and Gutierrez are the officials but I guess we’ll wait and see? I bet Bottas is sweating. Imagine he gets beaten by the replacement...

Vandoorne is most likely I'd think, although my hope is that they make a deal with Williams and promote Russell :D

in reality Max will win.

Unlikely I think, the "oval" is likely to be tough for the Red Bull (look at their pace in Monza, the closest track so far). Pérez winning would be a great.

Associate
Well, this has added a bit of interest to the end of the season. Hope Hamilton is ok however!

I'd love Russell to get a shot but, that seems unlikely. Surely Mercedes would want to get some more data on Russell compared to Bottas.

Soldato
Oh no! Get well soon, Hamilton. Diagnosed on Monday, so quite likely infectious on Sunday, there could be a lot more people going down with this.

Oddly, after the race at the weekend I noticed that when Lewis got out of the car and celebrated with the team he was just elbow bumping them all. In other forms of motorsport this year most drivers have been happy enough jumping into the team as normal, presumably confident in the security of their bubble. Anyone know off hand if it has been the norm for Lewis to celebrate in that way this year or did he perhaps already know that either himself or some of the team may have been at increased risk of infection?

Soldato
"He woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain has subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.

Mercedes will need to replace Hamilton this weekend, meaning his record streak of 265 consecutive race starts since his debut in March 2007 will come to an end. Mercedes reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez is one option that the team have to replace the Briton, as is current Mercedes Formula E driver Stoffell Vandoorne, who is testing with the all-electric series in Valencia on Tuesday.

But Mercedes could also look to former F1 driver Nico Hulkenberg to substitute for Hamilton after the German filled in three times this season for Perez and Stroll, having competed in the British Grand Prix, 70th Anniversary Grand Prix and the German Grand Prix in 2020."

Caporegime
Oddly, after the race at the weekend I noticed that when Lewis got out of the car and celebrated with the team he was just elbow bumping them all. In other forms of motorsport this year most drivers have been happy enough jumping into the team as normal, presumably confident in the security of their bubble. Anyone know off hand if it has been the norm for Lewis to celebrate in that way this year or did he perhaps already know that either himself or some of the team may have been at increased risk of infection?

It's been a bit of a mixture. Certainly the week before he was full on leaping into the crowd, but he's also been more cautious at other times. I guess with the Grosjean incident everyone was feeling less exuberant, and having already won the championship this was just another race win for the tally.

Soldato
"He woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and was informed at the same time that a contact prior to arrival in Bahrain has subsequently tested positive. Lewis therefore took a further test and returned a positive result. This has since been confirmed by a retest.

Mercedes will need to replace Hamilton this weekend, meaning his record streak of 265 consecutive race starts since his debut in March 2007 will come to an end. Mercedes reserve driver Esteban Gutierrez is one option that the team have to replace the Briton, as is current Mercedes Formula E driver Stoffell Vandoorne, who is testing with the all-electric series in Valencia on Tuesday.

But Mercedes could also look to former F1 driver Nico Hulkenberg to substitute for Hamilton after the German filled in three times this season for Perez and Stroll, having competed in the British Grand Prix, 70th Anniversary Grand Prix and the German Grand Prix in 2020."

I would do a deal with Williams and get Russell in the car.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Well that is some good timing if there was such a thing! How crap would that be to lose a WC because you got COVID!

Fingers crossed he recovers well and I'm looking forward to seeing someone new in the Mercedes. See what its like for a new driver with almost no experience in the beast.

Back
Top Bottom