Crash to black screen and fans max (PSU warning)?

Soldato
So I have this issue that only happens sometimes when games are about to load. When I jump into some COD games just as it starts to load the map BOOM. Off. When I try to play Hell Let loose it crashes EVERY TIME just as I fire it up and it says 'unreal engine', then off.

- Screen black (no blue screen). PC fans go crazy and I must turn hold power for four seconds to restart.
- I say it's random but it's always as some game tries to launch - COD game one in 30 just after matchmaking and as the map loads, Hell Let Loose every time I even try to just start it.
- Upon restart MOBO says surge protection kicked in, press F1 to continue.
- Tried disabling ASUS surge protection as many said it was terrible so I thought i'd take the risk but it same thing happens
- Tried with the PC straight into the wall in case my power strip was overloaded - same thing.

Any suggestions? Is the PSU going quack?

Config

- Intel Core i5-6600K 3.9GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor
- AMD Sapphire Vega 64
- EVGA SuperNova G2 750W.
- Asus Z170-A Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Samsung PM961 Polaris 128GB M.2-2880 PCI-e 3.0 x 4 NVMe Solid State Drive
- 1TB FusionIO SSD card
- 1 x 4TB Disk
- 1 x 1TB Disk
- 1 x 500GB SSD

Soldato
Distinct possiblity. EVGA G2 PSU's if you registered the serial no (I think) within 30 days of purchase then they have a 10 year warranty. If you have done that then I would start RMA proceedings with them if it were me.

Man of Honour
Before you start a RMA, are you powering that Vega 64 from a single pci-e lead with a pair of daisy chained connectors or from two seperate pci-e leads? Many people were getting black screens and crashes caused by powering Vega from a pair of daisy chained leads. Once they swapped to single leads the problems went away. It's worth a try if you aren't already powering it with a pair of seperate leads.

Soldato
OP
Before you start a RMA, are you powering that Vega 64 from a single pci-e lead with a pair of daisy chained connectors or from two seperate pci-e leads? Many people were getting black screens and crashes caused by powering Vega from a pair of daisy chained leads. Once they swapped to single leads the problems went away. It's worth a try if you aren't already powering it with a pair of seperate leads.

That's a good question, obviously i'm using two leads but I should check they are direct leads and not coming off some kind of splitter.

Back
Top Bottom