Oak worktop smells strange

Associate
Hi, first time posting here
I ordered an Oak worktop from B&Q, which came a couple of weeks ago, but the smell of it is very strong, it's like a food, stale, almost urine smell, not unpleasant, but to the point where the whole house smells of it now. It is unoiled and not installed yet. I was about to use osmo oil on it, but I'm concerned the smell isn't normal as I can't find any other complaints about an oak worktop smell anywhere else. Has anyone got experience of buying an oak worktop to fit? Or noticed the smell of oak?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Untreated Wood can have a strong smell as it off gasses. It should dissappear when you oil it.

Associate
my boyfriend works in the production of furniture, sometimes they use oak, but have never received such a product. This is a sign of poor quality. If this information helps you.

Associate
OP
Yes I see. Thanks for the help everyone. I'm oiling it tomorrow to see if that helps. Slightly concerned. Hopefully the wood doesn't just mask the smell, and treats it. Found it strange there was no discussion about it anywhere online. Although I've had it indoors for a week, where the kitchen is, so noticed the smell before. Maybe others don't smell as much because they are delivered with treatment already applied too? Fingers crossed

Associate
I would not alter / oil it without speaking to B&q first. If it hasn't been dried properly or there is some other issue then if you have oiled it you might be knackered for a return..

Associate
OP
Yes, good point, I'll try tomorrow, but not sure a smell is a good enough excuse. Oiling might work, but it might be too late to return at that point, as you say. Or it might also potentially seal the smell in, to return at a later date.

Associate
Yes, good point, I'll try tomorrow, but not sure a smell is a good enough excuse. Oiling might work, but it might be too late to return at that point, as you say. Or it might also potentially seal the smell in, to return at a later date.

It's a perfectly valid reason to return it.

Back
Top Bottom