Spec me a better monitor setup!

Soldato
Hey folks!
I currently have 2 LG 27" 4K Monitors (LG 27UK850-W to be exact) which are great, but when I bought them I didn't really know much about Hz etc, and these are 60Hz.

My viewing distance is about 75cm from the screen.

As you can potentially see in the pic, my chair faces almost central to the first monitor, and the one on the right is further - this is due to my PC case being to the right of my legs, I could move it and sit more central but ultimately i'd still be sitting almost facing the middle bezel if I did that.

I have flirted with the idea of an ultrawide, but then worry if I will miss the dual-monitor setup - I am using it for web browing / music stuff and gaming (COD Warzone)
GPU wise I have a 2060 and pc is i7-9700 / 32GB / 2TB SSD

I don't run COD in 4k, I use it in 1080p and get around 150-200fps showing (60hz monitor limited of course).

By the same token, I am concerned if I drop the resolution (to a 1440p monitor) I would lose 'height' which is more noticeable in music software etc.

I did notice in my display settings it shows 'Scale 150% (Recommended)' and a display resolution
of 3840 x 2160.

(Is the 150% not making it less in which case am I defeating the object of 4k resolution?)

Anyhow! I ramble... Any suggestions of monitors / better layouts are welcome!

Here is a image;

w4lsOLI.jpg

Soldato
Here is a image;

How about having a 4K monitor stacked on top of an ultrawide? Or both your 4k monitors above a 32:9 monitor? I really like multi-monitor setups. It means you can have a game on one monitor and something else on another. Monitoring tools, a guide, notes you're writing, whatever.

I did notice in my display settings it shows 'Scale 150% (Recommended)' and a display resolution
of 3840 x 2160.

(Is the 150% not making it less in which case am I defeating the object of 4k resolution?)

My 27" 4K monitor is set to 150% too. It does make text look nice.

Soldato
Maybe a 38" 3840 x 1600, either the new Alienware AW3821DW or the LG 38WN95C. Both use the same LG panel, the warranty is better on the Alienware being Dell but the LG has USB-C / KVM for multi system connectivity like a desktop + laptop sharing the same screen easily. Those would give a wider resolution for gaming, making use effectively of 2 x 1920 * 1600 screens but without the center bezel. You can use their included app to split the screen in Windows to effectively give you the same as having two separate monitors of 1920 * 1600. If the USB-C / KVM isn't of interest then LG also do one geared more to Nvidia that is closer to the specs of the Alienware which is LG 38GN950-B.

or

If you don't mind gaming on 1 monitor or dropping the resolution and gaming across both with the center bezel then you could look at 2 of the latest LG 27 4K 144 Hz, 27GN950-B. Eve are also making the Spectrum monitor that also uses this panel but theirs also includes HDMI 2.1.

Soldato
OP
Interesting ideas from you guys, I don't mind gaming on one monitor at all, no issue, the stacking of monitors also a good idea, although I am not sure how I could fit a stand, as you can see they sit on my windowledge, I am not sure if there is such a thing as a 'reverse' mount whereby I could clamp it to the front of the sill, and twist it to fit the monitors as such.
(Either that, or I move my desk forward slightly to use the stand on the back of the desk - only issue there is it feels like I have wasted some windowsill space (not that it's particularly neat at the moment :D)

Soldato
One problem i think your going to have is if you do get a bigger monitor the stand going be too big to fit on that window ledge
Can already see them stands on them 27" monitors are to big and are hanging over the edge

Soldato
the stacking of monitors also a good idea, although I am not sure how I could fit a stand, as you can see they sit on my windowledge

Ah, I missed that it was a window ledge. I can't tell how far back that sill goes but you can get a stand where you drill through the surface and secure it by pressure. Of course, it also means the monitors permanently block the window.

Soldato
OP
Blocking the window is ok, as it's in the conservatory and the blinds behind the screens are always down so that's not too much issue, I did think about dropping down to a 1440p 27", the LG thenewoc posted above seems to basically be the replica of my LG's only newer and with 144hz vs my 60hz, but quite expensive.

I think the 150% scaling works out to a 1440p resolution so I may not miss much if anything if going from 4k to 1440p - however I was also now looking at potentially swapping out one of my LG's for a HP Omen X27 (or the 27i) so I can use that at the 'gaming' monitor, but keep the dual-monitor setup - although it may look odd having two different monitor brands...

X27 looks more tempting than the 27i ...

Back
Top Bottom