Replacement for Mad Catz RAT MMO7

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking for a replacement for my Mad Catz MMO7. I'd ideally like the same number of programmable buttons which seems like a big ask at the moment. I'm also a fan of having a hat switch.

I thought Mad Catz had gone bust but their website is up, however none of the models are really what I was after.

Any suggestions? I like having lots of buttons for mapping in games like Grim Dawn, Divinity OS2 etc. :)

Soldato
I wouldn't touch a Razer Naga from my past experience, the quality is poor for the price you pay in my opinion and they've longevity problems.

If you're after an "MMO" mouse I'd be looking at a Corsair Scimitar or a Logitech G600 assuming you can find one.

Soldato
I wouldn't touch a Razer Naga from my past experience, the quality is poor for the price you pay in my opinion and they've longevity problems.

If you're after an "MMO" mouse I'd be looking at a Corsair Scimitar or a Logitech G600 assuming you can find one.

To be honest, I didn't really spend a lot of time researching the models. I know razer in general are poor and wouldn't recommend them.
Logitech is def a good shout, their normally solid as are Steelseries, so long as it's not a wireless one. They're horrendous.

Soldato
To be honest, I didn't really spend a lot of time researching the models. I know razer in general are poor and wouldn't recommend them.
Logitech is def a good shout, their normally solid as are Steelseries, so long as it's not a wireless one. They're horrendous.

I've never had much luck with Razer so I avoid them like the plague normally, I did give the Naga a go at one point simply because they were the go-to for MMO mice for awhile.

I'm usually pretty hardware agnostic, I'll buy from whichever company based upon model and warranty. The only real exception there is mice, I always end up with Logitech despite having tried numerous other companies over the years.

If I was buying wireless right now it'd be a G502, I'm a bit of a wired die hard but after having tried one they're genuinely fantastic. Luckily I don't really have any issues with wires, so I'm happy to save cash and buy the wired version.

Soldato
OP
Blimey, didn't think there were any still out in the wild. I remember my RAT5 and it was the worst mouse i ever owned.
What about the Steelseries Rival 500 or the Razer Naga Trinity?

The RAT7 is my most favourite mouse ever. It's built like a tank, but after all these years, driver issues and what seems to be like intermittent failure, I need something else.

I've never had much luck with Razer so I avoid them like the plague normally, I did give the Naga a go at one point simply because they were the go-to for MMO mice for awhile.

I'm usually pretty hardware agnostic, I'll buy from whichever company based upon model and warranty. The only real exception there is mice, I always end up with Logitech despite having tried numerous other companies over the years.

If I was buying wireless right now it'd be a G502, I'm a bit of a wired die hard but after having tried one they're genuinely fantastic. Luckily I don't really have any issues with wires, so I'm happy to save cash and buy the wired version.

I prefer wired to be honest. I've also had problems with Razer in the past and wasn't impressed. :(

I'll nose through Logitech's offerings though.

Soldato
I prefer wired to be honest. I've also had problems with Razer in the past and wasn't impressed. :(

I'll nose through Logitech's offerings though.

The Corsair Scimitar is pretty robust if you want an MMO mouse, Logitech mice are generally very sturdy in my experience but I'm not seeing the G600 in stock anywhere.

If you're not bothered about having tons of buttons, I'm currently using a G402 I bought for £15 open box a year ago, fantastic bit of kit and frankly I'd have been happy if I'd spent three times as much which is usually what they retail at anyway. The G502 which is the next model up is also a stellar bit of kit and a bit more premium feeling, I've used a couple in the past and they feel great in the hand.

Soldato
OP
The Corsair Scimitar is pretty robust if you want an MMO mouse, Logitech mice are generally very sturdy in my experience but I'm not seeing the G600 in stock anywhere.

If you're not bothered about having tons of buttons, I'm currently using a G402 I bought for £15 open box a year ago, fantastic bit of kit and frankly I'd have been happy if I'd spent three times as much which is usually what they retail at anyway. The G502 which is the next model up is also a stellar bit of kit and a bit more premium feeling, I've used a couple in the past and they feel great in the hand.

Hardly anything is in stock anywhere at the moment! :D

I'm wondering if I should just accept fewer buttons and maybe get a new keyboard with more convenient function keys tbh. It's just I've got used to playing with the mappable buttons over the past god knows how many years instead of pressing Q, E, R etc. :)

The G502 looks like it might be ideal for the job. I'll investigate further - there's always the bonus that Logitech support is second to none! Thanks :)

Soldato
The G502 looks like it might be ideal for the job. I'll investigate further - there's always the bonus that Logitech support is second to none! Thanks :)

You could always order one and test it for a week or so, send it back if you don't get on with it?

As I said, I'm very happy with my G402, but if I'd had to pay full price for it I'd have just ponied up the extra for a 502.

They're excellent mice.

Soldato
OP
You could always order one and test it for a week or so, send it back if you don't get on with it?

As I said, I'm very happy with my G402, but if I'd had to pay full price for it I'd have just ponied up the extra for a 502.

They're excellent mice.
I see they are also being scalped on other sites - what the hell is going on!

I see some complaints about the wheel build quality but I suppose I'll get one and test when I can. Cheers buddy.

The Scimitar button layout is horrid so that's a no go. The only thing I managed to find that is almost the same is the Asus ROG Spatha but it's expensive and I'm also minded to avoid ASUS products these days given some of the horrendous support experiences others have had with them.

Soldato
I see they are also being scalped on other sites - what the hell is going on!

I see some complaints about the wheel build quality but I suppose I'll get one and test when I can. Cheers buddy.

The Scimitar button layout is horrid so that's a no go. The only thing I managed to find that is almost the same is the Asus ROG Spatha but it's expensive and I'm also minded to avoid ASUS products these days given some of the horrendous support experiences others have had with them.

The Asus is supposedly decent, but like you I wouldn't take the chance as the support is awful. Everywhere is awful at the moment, limited stock coupled with covid issues for production I suppose. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be frank, the G502 shouldn't be terribly difficult to source assuming version.

If you can pick up a G402 for £30 or under I would HUGELY recommend it, could be an idea as a fill in and eventual spare until you can pick up what you want. That said, that's why I bought one and now it's my main mouse!

Good luck bud, I've never had a problem with the wheel on my G402 (it's a complaint for that model too), but use case is obviously going to vary to some extent.

Soldato
OP
Good luck bud, I've never had a problem with the wheel on my G402 (it's a complaint for that model too), but use case is obviously going to vary to some extent.
Got a G502 Hero winging its way to me - looks ideal, thanks matey! :)

RIP MMO7 - I don't understand what all the complaints are about online, mine's been awesome.

Also ordered a G513 brown to go with it seeing as my G15 is pretty knackered now. I'll miss the display though. T_T

Had to order elsewhere given Overclockers are all out of stock. No Haribo for me, ah well. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The G502 which is the next model up is also a stellar bit of kit and a bit more premium feeling, I've used a couple in the past and they feel great in the hand.

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Got the G502 and G513 set up now and they are both glorious :)

Back
Top Bottom