• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X & ASUS TUF B550M Windows Instability

Associate
Hi All,

I just wanted to capture that I had an absolute ******* getting my 5800X and Asus TUF B550M Gaming system to be stable in Windows 10.

I noticed crashing occurred that seemed to be randomly between 1-20mins after booting, but was generally coincident with high load on my NVMe SSD, SATA SSD, SATA HDD and also on connection of particular USB peripherals, which was my clue to the chipset drivers.
I didn't have an issue installing Windows several times, so figured the hardware was probably stable and this was an issue with Windows and Drivers.

The issue turned out to be that my Windows 10 installation USB was from 2015, which had a nasty interaction with the AMD Chipset drivers. This specific interaction isn't mentioned, but the AMD B550 Chipset Driver download has the following warning:
Code:
AMD software and drivers are designed to work best for up-to-date operating systems. Please be sure to update your operating system before installing drivers.

Resolving this issue was easy: Download the latest Windows Installer, where I used a USB stick.
If this isn't an option, then try installing the Ethernet driver and allow Windows to fully update before installing your Chipset drivers.

PS: Don't really mind if no one responds, but I figure a few people might get caught out by this so worth capturing.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi All,

I just wanted to capture that I had an absolute ******* getting my 5800X and Asus TUF B550M Gaming system to be stable in Windows 10.

The issue turned out to be that my Windows 10 installation USB was from 2015, which had a nasty interaction with the AMD Chipset drivers.

Resolution was easy: Download the latest Windows USB installer...
If this isn't an option, then just install the Ethernet driver and allow Windows to fully update before installing your Chipset drivers.

PS: Don't really mind if no one responds, but I figure a few people might get caught out by this so worth capturing.

I had the exact same issue with my 3950x a few months back. For me it was only the old windows version that was the issue, as I was getting constant crashes 10 seconds after being idle in windows. Didn’t even stay stable long enough for me to install the chipset drivers.

thanks for sharing sure this will help someone.

Back
Top Bottom