• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS confirms ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080 Ti graphics card with 20GB memory

Soldato
the TI's were always going to come out, I mean you really had to have your head in the sand as it's a standard practice now for the the RTX series. Just wonder if they will do the competitive pricing, or just stiff the consumers again

It’s been standard practice for about 20 years (with a few exceptions) :D

Caporegime
It’s been standard practice for about 20 years (with a few exceptions) :D

A hell of a lot of exceptions, used to be the ultra would appear sporadically then vanish for a while as their high end. Ti was introduced in the 2 series in 2001, stuck around until the 4 series, then vanished for the 5\6\7\8\9\200\400\ series before reappearing in the 500 series again. In Between all that they were messing with gt\gts\xt\zt and ultra conventions for naming.

Soldato
A hell of a lot of exceptions, used to be the ultra would appear sporadically then vanish for a while as their high end. Ti was introduced in the 2 series in 2001, stuck around until the 4 series, then vanished for the 5\6\7\8\9\200\400\ series before reappearing in the 500 series again. In Between all that they were messing with gt\gts\xt\zt and ultra conventions for naming.

Hah that’s true, odd how they did away with it for so long. I still like the Ultra naming, the first GPU I purchased was a TNT2 Ultra!

Caporegime
You sound like the typical 3080 owner who is threatened by a 3080ti. It should be obvious, even to a small child, that a 3080ti will also be faster than a 3080, irrespective of how much memory they have.

It just so happens in this case that you're getting a faster card, with DOUBLE the VRAM. A much better package overall and one which will last longer than the 10GB 3080 will.

There are already titles where the 3080 runs out of VRAM at 4k, this will continue to be an issue in 2021 and beyond. 10GB was never enough for a flagship card at 4k(even consoles have more LOL), this mistake will be quickly rectified.
Not everyone runs at 4k mate and many likely never will. 4k currently makes up 2.25% of all PC's that took part in the Steam Hardware Survey. 4k is not and likely never will be the benchmark for gaming performance. VRAM is like a gas in a sealed room. Games will take advantage of it even when it provides no real performance boost.

Man of Honour
3080 Ti with 20GB, not worth the asking price and knowing Asus it won't be cheap.

3080 Ti with 10GB would be far more interesting and cheaper.

Anyone who really wants to part with a lot of money may as well go all the way and get the 3090.

For 99% of situations 10GB is plenty.

For the other 1% more than 10GB may help but on the other hand it still may be a waste of time. Just tested out my 3090 on Cyberpunk 2077 @2160p and got 18fps lol, the 24GB of VRAM is good for squat.

@Asus where is the 6900 XT Strix LC, no point advertising new cards when you can not even produce the old ones.

Soldato
3080 Ti with 20GB, not worth the asking price and knowing Asus it won't be cheap.

Ironic, considering you're planning on buying an ASUS AIO 6900xt that will probably have an RRP around $1500usd :D

Big Navi supply is very bad, worse than Ampere by quite some margin. MSI has decided that unlike Ampere where it has multiple models, for Big Navi it is cancelling all models except for the game x trio because long term AMD is unable to give them enough GPU die's to make multiple models cost efficient. So for those AIB who still decide to make special models like an AIO Strix - they have to charge a massive premium because they can probably only produce 200 of these cards a month for the next 6 months

Associate
They need the hype train to keep going so they can grab what cash they can I guess. This was the gen that was supposed to give us decent pricing too

Caporegime
Not everyone runs at 4k mate and many likely never will. 4k currently makes up 2.25% of all PC's that took part in the Steam Hardware Survey. 4k is not and likely never will be the benchmark for gaming performance. VRAM is like a gas in a sealed room. Games will take advantage of it even when it provides no real performance boost.

Steam hardware survey is a bit flawed as my primary monitor is 3440x1440, but I game on my 4k OLED.

Soldato
Yay, let’s hope it’s true. I’d rather fancy a 3080Ti FE with a waterblock.

looking at nvidia store I reckon pricing along the lines of:

3080 = £649
3080 Ti = £1000/£1050
3090 = £1399

In which case I’ll bite and get a Ti, assuming no stock nonsense.

Associate
Yay, let’s hope it’s true. I’d rather fancy a 3080Ti FE with a waterblock.

looking at nvidia store I reckon pricing along the lines of:

3080 = £649
3080 Ti = £1000/£1050
3090 = £1399

In which case I’ll bite and get a Ti, assuming no stock nonsense.
Don't forget to add 20% vat/gouge/exchange rate/ unexpected shipping costs.
My Aib 3090 set me back £1558 with my vat back

Soldato
Hardly surprising, as 3090 sales slow (which they already are to an extent as you can get them right now in various SKU's easy), repackage the same core into a 3080Ti, slightly less memory and and likely overall bandwidth for £1k to shift cores that would otherwise not go as a 3090. So close or nigh identical to 3090 performance, nice for those at 4k where the 3090 can stretch its legs slightly more. February seems reasonable for Nvidia to have the 3090 in hands of those willing to pay for it.

I would not worry about a lower TDP vs the 3090. Messing with my 3090FE they have gone really heavy handed with the voltage curve I think, so even its if 320w vs 350w for the FE when looking at 3080Ti and 3090 respectively, clock speeds will end up similar given similar quality chips IMO. Its pretty amazing how much extra power these cards need to squeeze out last mile and how much power a slight undervolt can save.

All that said, expect it will be a mess for first few months anyways and FE will be non-existent.

Soldato
Tbh if there wasn't covid, I would never have bought a 3090, I've never had as much time to use my own pc as I have this year
Covid was also the main reason why i bought my 2080ti back in March
I thought i was going be struck at home playing games everyday through the lock down (But i had to work Mon to Fri every week through it :( )

Associate
https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-co...ce-rtx-3080-ti-graphics-card-with-20gb-memory

In what was extremely obvious to anyone not already rolling down the hill, or in complete denial, we have further confirmation of a 3080ti releasing in a few weeks, with 20GB VRAM.

IMO this will be 'the' card to get, the card that will cope with newer games at 4K without being constrained by VRAM concerns. I think it will also be faster than the 3090, though time will tell.

Can't wait to get mine ordered, and very happy I picked up my MSI 3080 Gaming X as a temporary solution for my CX48, with them still being hard to obtain, selling it on will also be easy :)

Don't see how it could possibly be faster, same cuda, less mem bandwidth and lower tdp....

Soldato
Don't see how it could possibly be faster, same cuda, less mem bandwidth and lower tdp....
I know right. I thought the same when i read the article. It's basically the same in terms of GPU/core but the card will run at a lower TPD but the article suggested faster clocks... I don't see how. If anything it will be slightly slower clocks but that's fine as in games it will only see the 3090 only within a few FPS difference.

Back
Top Bottom