Oscillating tool vs Dremel?

Soldato
I assume you'd want an oscillating tool(otherwise known as a multi tool I think) over a Dremel, as the OT can do everything a Dremel can do with the right attachment, have I got this right?

And ideally it be battery operated?

I'm looking at being able to cut maybe nails or bolts, small widths of metal and also do some sanding, grinding, polishing etc.

Soldato
I find the size of my Dremel to be a major advantage when working on the car, it can get into annoying places where a larger tool either just can't access or would be extremely limited in terms of angles. You also have a fully circular cutting head which is useful too

Given most of my automotive Dremel use is to get problem fixings out this makes a big difference (to me at least)

Soldato
I use a multi tool all the time and it's great for cutting stuff but they are quite large in size compared to a demel.

I think it all depends on the size of the stuff you are working on. Small get a demel, larger get a multi tool.

I'd just have both.

Don
Get both. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.
If you want a cheap Dremel style tool, Lidl do a rechargeable one that's pretty good and my go to device even though I have a legit Dremel.

Man of Honour
I have both as they both have their strong and weak points. A Dremel type rotary tool (mine is a Ryobi that's been great over the 10+ years I have had it) is better for fine/small work areas while a multi tool is better for large areas. If you have lot's of nails to cut through the multi tool is better than a Dremel, likewise for cutting metal or wood. The Dremel style tool is brilliant for precision work.

Soldato
Get both. I got a taclife fake dremel on Amazon and it's done everything including drilling through some pretty decent bits of metal I use for blade making.

Also have a Tacklife, been good so far

3rd one for Tacklife. Bought it and got an email from them asking me to upload the receipt for a chance at winning cashback.

Did it but thought I'd have no chance of winning. A week later and I get an email and simultaneous deposit in my bank for the full purchase price. Happy days.

Soldato
They are both multi tools but generally speaking the cross over between them is very small. Two very different tools for very different jobs IMO.

To be clear, they aren’t a one or the other type of tool, the job either needs a rotary or it needs an oscillating tool. If you have jobs which needs both, you’ll need to get both.

I also have both.

Associate
Dremel is definitely best when working in confined spaces. I once used one to cut the power steering hose "quick release" off and there is no way a multi tool would have gotten in there.

Back
Top Bottom