Ultrawide battle: AW3821 vs LG38GN950

Associate
Two new monitors with the same or similar 1600p IPS panel but pretty different price tags.

Same 1ms response time, HDR 600, small difference in max refresh (AW at 144hz vs LG at theoretical 16phz)...

But the AW is 200-300 cheaper.

Differences:
LG is freesync and G-Sync compatible (new model, no fans like for the older GL), while the AW is G-Sync ultimate

I've had an excellent 34" ultrawide before... but here - are there any reasons to choose LG?

What am I missing?

PS
I am excluding the older GL version due to fan noise issues as I prefer my rig to be super silent. The new LG GN has no fans while the AW has one but it seems a quiet one: (https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/d...more-specs-information-and-g-sync-discussion/.)
Has anyone noticed noise on the AW (I got sensitive ears so anything constantly above 16-17db is a pain for me).
Video card is an Nvidia.

Caporegime
LG warranty is pretty pants really. Go for the Dell. They’ll even ship you a replacement if yours goes faulty, delivered by the same courier taking yours away. LG don’t and won’t and you’ll be monitor-less while they try and repair or eventually replace.

Associate
OP
Yes, also heard a lot of QC complaints about the new LG here as well as the old GL.
But essentially, how is LG justifying the price difference for the same panel and also without the G-Sync module which adds around £100?

Soldato
G-Sync ultimate will be far better then just a G-Sync compatible monitor ;)

EDIT: Reason being
AW3821DW Variable Refresh Rate Range 1-144Hz
38GN950 Variable Refresh Rate Range 48-144Hz

I wouldn't want a G-Sync compatible monitor with that crappy range on such a high resolution monitor
But then there is a good side to a G-Sync compatible monitor as they also support AMD GPU's

So toss a coin :p
Heads for Full range VRR support for only Nvidia GPU's
Tails for Limited range VRR support for both AMD & Nvidia GPU's

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Got it.

So basically, given the IPS panel is the same and unless there's a fan noise issue with the AW (which no one is reporting), it's a better monitor for Nvidia cards at 200-300 less.

One last thing I'd say, having had the LG 34 Ultragear is that it has a bit of flimsy stand, while the AW looks super solid.

Permabanned
Got it.

So basically, given the IPS panel is the same and unless there's a fan noise issue with the AW (which no one is reporting), it's a better monitor for Nvidia cards at 200-300 less.

One last thing I'd say, having had the LG 34 Ultragear is that it has a bit of flimsy stand, while the AW looks super solid.

I have an AW3821DW. The main drive for me was that Dell warranty is so much better than LG, the Dell fan is silent, and surprisingly the Dell price is really good. The Alienware styling is just so much better than the LG and the stand for the Alienware is as solid as a rock! It's really heavy and well made. It's amazing and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending one. People are also saying that the AW does work with AMD graphics cards.

Associate
OP
Thanks so much for the feedback.
It's a pity that LG has gone so far up the price spectrum, possibly the reason is they sell through third parties while Dell goes directly. But glad to see a really high quality Dell product. Will be my birthday present to myself :)

Permabanned
Thanks so much for the feedback.
It's a pity that LG has gone so far up the price spectrum, possibly the reason is they sell through third parties while Dell goes directly. But glad to see a really high quality Dell product. Will be my birthday present to myself :)

The Freesync variants of LG tend to be much more popular and so often hold their price much better, for some reason.

Soldato
I have the LG 38GL950G, and fortunately haven't had any issues at all. That said, I'd buy a Dell if I were shopping now as the warranty really is stellar.

Soldato
What's the response time on the Alienware? I thought it was quite high

I can't recall where I saw the figures, but it was like 11ms on Fast overdrive, 7ms on Faster, 3ms on Extreme.. but extreme had a lot of overshoot and was unusable really. (I just ordered the AW myself so I've looked around at stuff)

Back
Top Bottom