2.1 living room setup sub £1000

Soldato
anyone care to suggest a decent audio reciever and sub/speakers for a half decent 2.1 setup for mixed use music tv/film

previously love of Onkyo receivers and Mordaunt short speakers and subs in my last setup was tempted to go similar but its been 10 years so thought it might be prudent to ask for some advice first.

viewing is in 4k and sources will be Virgin box various streaming services and spotify for music (yes i know not exactly quality material ) and all being viewed on a 4k philips screen.

Soldato
I’d be very tempted to pick up a second hand Anthem MRX 310/510 and then something like KEF Q350s and then a BK Sub for ~300

That should be about £1000 and will outperform anything you can be new for the price.

Soldato
If you doing it solo , I’d try some quality headphones. If with a partner / kids that’s a different choice.

Sony xm3 or 4 are ideal. I use the 3 for tv,Spotify, Apple 4k ... basically any service available.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spending a grand on 2.1 just seems wrong when you can get a decent Atmos soundbar setup for around that these days

https://www.rtings.com/soundbar/reviews/best/by-type/dolby-atmos

Stick it in stereo mode for music and Atmos for TV and movies.

If you doing it solo , I’d try some quality headphones. If with a partner / kids that’s a different choice.

Sony xm3 or 4 are ideal. I use the 3 for tv,Spotify, Apple 4k ... basically any service available.

I'm sorry but the Sony xm3 are only quality headphones in one area and one area only. Active noise cancelling.

If I had to choose a pair of headphones to listen to music with at home it would either be sennheiser HD 600 / HD 650 or akg k702. The akg for musical instruments and the sennheiser for anything where I wanted the vocals to shine.

If I needed closed I'd pick beyerdynamic dt770.

In fact I have 3 of the above 4 headphones in my collection.

If I had to choose an all rounder then i'd pick up some Phillips Fidelio x2hr. However they are a jack of all trades master of none. But they would be the best for movies as they are lively in the bass department again I've owned the Fidelio X1.

I also own the Sony xm3's and they are used simply when on a plane only and nothing else.

I also own sennheiser hd700 and I own plenty of in ears too and I've owned a plethora of other headphones too.

If I had to choose one for TV use I'd probably go with the Phillips as they are easy to drive and don't require an amp.

Again all my options are wired as is such for the best sound quality you require wired unfortunately.

But I don't think he wants headphones based on the fact he's asked for a 2.1 system and a receiver but if he did the Sony's would be only the best choice if he had someone playing the drums In the same room as him watching TV otherwise their sound quality is horrific compared to anything I've listed and majority of them being 33% to 50% of the price too.

Soldato
The OP didn't ask about headphones.

I'd go second hand I have an original Audiolab 8000s, Kef LS50 speakers and a BK XLS200 sub for my PC/Office audio and it sounds superb should manage to get a similar setup for under 1k. With the new LS50 Meta's coming out the original LS50 have dropped massively in price. Add a ifi/Topping/Fiio DAC rather than a receiver and you will have a great sounding setup.

Soldato
I don’t do multiple quotes... gets messy lol.

I was giving an alternative solution to the situation. In regards sound quality on The Sony I agree the headphones mentioned are better but then that also requires a headphone amp a long lead to your sofa :D

My suggestion was based on his listening habits. Seeing as a tv was involved the wireless suggestion was valid imo. If it was solely based on music that’s a different conversation.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t do multiple quotes... gets messy lol.

I was giving an alternative solution to the situation. In regards sound quality on The Sony I agree the headphones mentioned are better but then that also requires a headphone amp a long lead to your sofa :D
Wouldn't wireless headphones be better then having a long cable going across the room

Soldato
You have not mentioned room size, however I would consider floor standing speakers, then adding a subwoofer. Yamaha make good amps, floor standing speakers, and sub woofers.

Back
Top Bottom