LG makes shift to Mini-LED TVs at CES 2021

Soldato
Great news ahead. The sooner we move on from the fundamentally flawed OLED technology the better. Plus we don't have to beg TCL to bring their mini-leds to UK anymore.

LG has announced the company's first Mini LED TV lineup ahead of CES 2021. Marketed as "QNED MiniLED", these TVs will feature Mini LED backlighting for greater contrast range, as well as combined quantum dot and NanoCell technology for richer colour expression.

Soldato
MiniLED isn't much different to the local dimming we already have in LCDs is it? It's just each MiniLED backlight will only be illuminating a few hundred pixels rather than maybe a few thousand, so the local dimming is more local than current LED TVs achieve.

Soldato
MiniLED isn't much different to the local dimming we already have in LCDs is it? It's just each MiniLED backlight will only be illuminating a few hundred pixels rather than maybe a few thousand, so the local dimming is more local than current LED TVs achieve.

The current Nanocell apparently has 32 local dimming zones (https://www.avforums.com/reviews/lg-nano90-lcd-tv-review.17845) whilst (and if I am getting my maths right) the QNED will have closer to 208 (2500/12). (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55474953).

Should still be a fairly significant step up, without going Microled and OLED

Soldato
It’s just more dimming zones, still won’t beat effectively 8 million dimming zones on an OLED.

Soldato
Soldato
LG are probably still using IPS panels which aren’t great for TV’s and we don’t know what their dimming algorithm is like, Sony sets do better than Samsung despite having less dimming zones due to their algorithm.

Soldato
Hopefully it brings OLED down in price. I only watch TV and films at night in a dark environment so OLED would be fine for me.

Soldato
I still believe OLED TVs will go the way of plasma, certainly when MicroLED comes in full force. Until then, traditional LCD and LED backlighting will just improve year on year and continue to be more reasonably priced and longer lasting.

Soldato
Great news ahead. The sooner we move on from the fundamentally flawed OLED technology the better. Plus we don't have to beg TCL to bring their mini-leds to UK anymore.

move on? Hahaha try again mate, mini led is just qled with a different name, same ****. Considering that reviews of TCL mini led have shown worse performance than qled I wouldn't hold my breath

LG are probably still using IPS panels which aren’t great for TV’s and we don’t know what their dimming algorithm is like, Sony sets do better than Samsung despite having less dimming zones due to their algorithm.

of course lg don't use VA. They use ips panels which looks really bad for color contrast next to Samsung's VA

I still believe OLED TVs will go the way of plasma, certainly when MicroLED comes in full force. Until then, traditional LCD and LED backlighting will just improve year on year and continue to be more reasonably priced and longer lasting.

Oled will remain king until affordable MicroLED. Microled will replace everything - it will be the only computer monitor and tv technology once it's available and affordable

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
the fundamentally flawed OLED technology

tenor.gif

Soldato
the photo - its only the LG that had poor oled picture processing ?

Big>77" oled's have low yield contributing to making them unaffordable, I don't see mini-led competition reducing their prices

It is heard that the Paju fab’s production yield of OLED panel is around 80%.
It is expected that LG Display’s OLED TV panel shipments will increase even more in the fourth quarter as TV manufacturers around the world will look to secure large OLED panels in order to prepare for the end of the year spending season.
so at 55" you throw 1 in 5 away , at 77" effectively 1 in 2 (maybe you salvage a 55)

True, but what you have to consider is that your eyes naturally introduce blooming that you see on LCD TVs, so while a camera can differentiate between OLED vs a high quality FALD LCD TV, your eyes can't so much - I think MiniLED will be an excellent compromise between the two technologies.
yes,
can't refind earlier link where they provided scientific data on resolving power of the eye with high contrast items adjacent on a screen,
similar'ish debate to what viewing distance is a 4K tv's resolution discernible from 1080 in sdr

Soldato
the photo - its only the LG that had poor oled picture processing ?

Big>77" oled's have low yield contributing to making them unaffordable, I don't see mini-led competition reducing their prices

so at 55" you throw 1 in 5 away , at 77" effectively 1 in 2 (maybe you salvage a 55)

yes,
can't refind earlier link where they provided scientific data on resolving power of the eye with high contrast items adjacent on a screen,
similar'ish debate to what viewing distance is a 4K tv's resolution discernible from 1080 in sdr

If you think that's bad, take a look at MicroLED yields. It's so bad that about 90% of panels come out of the production with a hundred(s) dead pixels

Soldato
You can have as many dimming zones as you want; its how you control them that matters.
A Sony/Samsung equivalent model has been staying toe to toe re: performance with TCL Mini-LEDs this year; so a lot of is dependant on the algorithms and picture processing used.
I expect some fantastic results from Sony and to a lesser extent Samsung with these technologies. I think LG's LCD panels suck, period, so I don't hold much hope of the PQ being better than the other 2 big boys.

I'd be really excited if Panasonic enter the mini-LED market.

Soldato
If you think that's bad, take a look at MicroLED yields. It's so bad that about 90% of panels come out of the production with a hundred(s) dead pixels

Yup. Micro isn't coming for 10 years IMO where it'd be affordable for a 77''+ panel.

£3.5k for a 77'' OLED. I don't think we'll reach £3.5k for a 77'' microLED for ages.

Soldato
A Sony/Samsung equivalent model has been staying toe to toe re: performance with TCL Mini-LEDs this year; so a lot of is dependant on the algorithms and picture processing used.

I'm not sure who makes the tcl mini led panels, and then why the likes of panasonic and sony are not using those(100hz versions), and adding their processing,
to recreate the glory days of the dx902 full array.
[? https://www.ft.com/content/945ee1ce-7031-4670-ad25-df6f04a30d23 not helping me]

Soldato
I'm not sure who makes the tcl mini led panels, and then why the likes of panasonic and sony are not using those(100hz versions), and adding their processing,
to recreate the glory days of the dx902 full array.
[? https://www.ft.com/content/945ee1ce-7031-4670-ad25-df6f04a30d23 not helping me]

I have a DX902B. I loved it but it had flaws I hope will be addressed this year.

Are Panasonic going mini-LED too?

I have a few personal issues with OLED (24p motion, banding, DSE/grain on whites, no HDR impact on full field bright scenes, no 85'' or 95'' screen sizes) so if we can get a mini-LED breakthrough, I'd love to give them a go TBH.

However I doubt they'll have sizes above 85'.

Back
Top Bottom