Inheritance spent

Soldato
I’m not sure if this is in the right place(mods please move in it’s not)
A bit of a back story, my uncle died in December 2019 without a living will so as I understand it the house and other assets go to his partner/girlfriend(that’s fair enough), but at the same time he also had a work insurance policy for £150k in which was written down within the policy that when he dies £50k goes to his partner, £50k goes to his 25yo son and £50k goes to his 13yo daughter.
The son got his money but the £100k for the daughter/partner was all put in the partners bank account by his employer, the partner has now spent all of her money renovating the house(she told my gran this) and she is now in the process of spending the daughter’s inheritance, the solicitor dealing with my uncle’s estate keeps requesting the daughters money (to put into trust) which she is ignoring, she slipped up when my Nan was nagging her saying there is £40k left which she is keeping for her.

To me she is stealing his daughters inheritance is there anything I can do or see about it? as the poor girl will have nothing left when she gets to her 18th birthday.

Soldato
OP
Up to the solicitor to sort. I would have thought it was up to him to put it in trust for her. His responsibility surely
That’s what I would have though, but somehow she gave some sob story to his employer and they put the money on her account instead of transferring it to the solicitor, I’m worried by the time the solicitor gets the money most of it will have been spent

Soldato
Is the partner also the daughters' mother, or did the daughter come from a previous relationship ? It sounds like the only provision of childcare for the daughter is that 50K, so the partner can claim (whether legally or not - I've no clue here !) that she is using that money for the child's benefit. Putting the money into a house is at least better that blowing on the GD stalwart of coke and hookers !

Soldato
Is the partner also the daughters' mother, or did the daughter come from a previous relationship ? It sounds like the only provision of childcare for the daughter is that 50K, so the partner can claim (whether legally or not - I've no clue here !) that she is using that money for the child's benefit. Putting the money into a house is at least better that blowing on the GD stalwart of coke and hookers !

Corner sofas and gucci belts

Soldato
OP
Yes she’s her mother, I didn’t think you could legally spend someone else’s money without consent

Associate
For my work life insurance scheme, you specify your preferences for where you want the money to go, but it's not legally binding. Ultimately they are entitled to distribute the funds in any way they see fit. If this situation is similar, then as tragic as it is, I'm not sure what you can do. Worth noting that if this is the case, then the partner has done nothing wrong (legally anyway). Blame the employer.

The solicitor should know what the legal situation actually is, but from your post it sounds as if he's practically begging the partner for the money back, so that's not a good sign...

Soldato
A bit of a back story, my uncle died in December 2019 without a living will so as I understand it the house and other assets go to his partner/girlfriend(that’s fair enough), but at the same time he also had a work insurance policy for £150k in which was written down within the policy that when he dies £50k goes to his partner, £50k goes to his 25yo son and £50k goes to his 13yo daughter.
The son got his money but the £100k for the daughter/partner was all put in the partners bank account by his employer, the partner has now spent all of her money renovating the house(she told my gran this) and she is now in the process of spending the daughter’s inheritance, the solicitor dealing with my uncle’s estate keeps requesting the daughters money (to put into trust) which she is ignoring, she slipped up when my Nan was nagging her saying there is £40k left which she is keeping for her.

To me she is stealing his daughters inheritance is there anything I can do or see about it? as the poor girl will have nothing left when she gets to her 18th birthday.

You need a lawyer to take it to court. If the girlfriend was the executer of the will, she could get into a lot of trouble as courts generally frown greatly on people not administering wills properly. Ultimately she could be sued and forced to sell the house to pay back the money.

Soldato
Sounds like a rather "pathetic" solicitor if he's not actually doing his job.

Also depends on how/where it was "written down" as to the proceeds of the life policy. If it was an expression of wish - this is NOT legal binding. If there is "minors" involved (13 year old) this can also be complicated.

Best advice I can give - if your not directly involved - STAY OUT of it. Families/money etc - gets awfully messy.

Associate
Possible misunderstanding in your original post, regarding all assets *other* than this work life insurance scheme. If someone dies without a will, then the money goes to the next of kin - very precise legal definition. If he was married or in a civil partnership with the partner/girlfriend, then it'll go to them, otherwise will probably be ther kids.

Soldato
OP
Possible misunderstanding in your original post, regarding all assets *other* than this work life insurance scheme. If someone dies without a will, then the money goes to the next of kin - very precise legal definition. If he was married or in a civil partnership with the partner/girlfriend, then it'll go to them, otherwise will probably be ther kids.
They lived together for 15 years but were never married, but I thought now that was enough and you didn’t have to be married anymore

Associate
They lived together for 15 years but were never married, but I thought now that was enough and you didn’t have to be married anymore

Common misconception. No, no legal rights whatsoever in that case.

Edit: You really need to talk to a solicitor to get all the facts in this case, and appropriate advice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Given the context, I'm going to assume you meant "a will" when you wrote "a living will". They're different things.

Caveat - if you want reliable legal advice, you need to ask someone qualified to give it. Not some random people on a forum who might know some things. Here's my inexpert take on it, for what that's worth.

Were he and his partner legally partnered? Marriage or civil partnership. Living together doesn't count. If they weren't legally partnered and he died intestate (without a will) then strictly speaking the whole lot is split between his children and his ex partner has no legal rights to his estate. None of it. None of the insurance policy. None of the house and other assets either. There hasn't been common law marriage here since the Roman period, despite what a lot of people think. There are calls to change that, but as far as I know it hasn't been changed yet.

Given that the daughter is a legal minor, it'll get more complicated.

As for what you can do, I don't see anything other than seeking legal advice. Preferably from a solicitor who will do something more than repeatedly requesting something that isn't happening despite more than a year having passed.

I really think qualified legal advice is the best approach here. Because you're probably right and the daughter will end up with nothing. If the ex girlfriend is already spending the daughter's money why would she stop doing so? Maybe she intends to, but there will be something else to spend the money on at some point.

Back
Top Bottom