• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX580 seriously loud

Associate
When gaming on Cyberpunk 2077 my RX580 is really loud once the temp reaches 70c. Other games are usually quieter.
If i close afterburner it goes silent, however I need afterburner on for the fan to work properly.

Is it supposed to be loud, and are all GPUS like this ?

Don
Nope no overclock. But im assuming if the GPU reaches 75c with the fans going crazy, if the fans were any slower then surely it would overheat ?

Nope, most GPUs can run higher temperature than that without issue - sounds like Afterburner is overriding the default fan curve (which would probably allow the GPU to run closer to 80C before ramping up the fan speed)

Associate
If you've set an aggressive fan curve it'll be loud, try playing with it in afterburner. And yeah any fan maxing out is going to be quite loud I would have thought.

Associate
OP
Nope, most GPUs can run higher temperature than that without issue - sounds like Afterburner is overriding the default fan curve (which would probably allow the GPU to run closer to 80C before ramping up the fan speed)

That makes sense. So im safe to run games without opening up Afterburner ?? ..

Here is the fan curve...

Soldato
At 70c afterburner is setting your fan to 70%....just adjust the curve to get the right balance between temp and noise that you are happy with.

personally, i wouldn't want the GPU to sit any higher than 80c

Associate
The RX580 can hit mid 80s without any long term issues really. So you can let the GPU heat up a tiny bit without issue. Reduce the fan curve down a bit for lower noise from the fans.

Also, almost all the stock fans on all RX580 are loud when at 40%+ (I have the Red Devil RX580). I had to resort to taking off the GPU shroud in my case, and strapped on some 120mm fans instead to cool it down more quietly than stock fans. Now have a pair of Noctua A12x25's (you don't need to use Noctua's or the A12x25's, its just what I'm using) that are told not to go above 55% fan speed, and the GPU holds at 84-86C with room temp of around 26C when the GPU is being used heavily.

Associate
I've found this with my Pulse 580, temp readings and power draw can be lower but fan speed higher than in games that draw more power and the card reports a higher temp. Then my card decided to just hit 3krpm/80c generally so I underclocked it as I'm not confident enough to repaste it.

I've always assumed there is another sensor somewhere that also has an impact on fan speed, possibly relating to memory, which is why power draw and temps don't always correlate with fan speed.

Back
Top Bottom