Has anyone replaced ISP router with significant diff?

Associate
Hi all,

I was watching a review of a new router and I realised it never occurred to me to question the router provided to me by my ISP. Not sure why as the wifi signal is fairly poor beyond the room the router is in.

Have any of you replaced your default router with something shiny and pricey and notice a significant difference in the quality and speed and wifi signal around the house?

Thanks in advance

Associate
No i have the router with firewall, a 12 port managed poe switch, 2 managed ap's, a pihole on a ... er pi and all going out from the router with pppoe to a draytec modem.
So er 6 things, plus the flight radar 24 pi that uses an sdr usb dongle and a couple of antenna on the roof to capture data for the fl24 website but thats not part of my actual network.

Associate
OP
No i have the router with firewall, a 12 port managed poe switch, 2 managed ap's, a pihole on a ... er pi and all going out from the router with pppoe to a draytec modem.
So er 6 things, plus the flight radar 24 pi that uses an sdr usb dongle and a couple of antenna on the roof to capture data for the fl24 website but thats not part of my actual network.

I've no idea what you just typed but I hope your xmas was fantastic and I wish you and your family an amazing new year! :)

Soldato
If you have an issue with your WiFi and are otherwise happy with the router you have, then install an AP centrally, it’s much more likely to give you the outcome you want.

Soldato
Most ISP routers (certainly in the UK) are actually quite good. The challenge they all face is that builders and the phone line installers tend to put the phone by the front door or behind the TV which are spectacularly duff places to install a wireless access point as there is usually somewhere in the house where you can’t get decent wireless signal. By moving the access point to an elevated central position (usually the stair-well ceiling) you almost always get very good wireless LAN coverage in UK homes. Personally I have 6 wireless access points at home (too many actually) but I sell and install this stuff as a side-gig and I’m always testing out new things.

TVs are by far the biggest issue in bad Wireless LAN. One person in the household decides that they want to hide the WLAN access point for aesthetic reasons and they stick it behind the TV. The TV is basically WLAN kryptonite due to its EMF shielding and it utterly wrecks wireless coverage.

Permabanned
Hi all,

I was watching a review of a new router and I realised it never occurred to me to question the router provided to me by my ISP. Not sure why as the wifi signal is fairly poor beyond the room the router is in.

Have any of you replaced your default router with something shiny and pricey and notice a significant difference in the quality and speed and wifi signal around the house?

Thanks in advance

I gave up on Wifi many years ago. It always caused numerous problems for me, so I replaced it with an entirely wired system. Even so, I replaced the isp router to get the features I wanted.

Soldato
I replaced my Sky router with a TP-Link AC2800. It's the one with the built in modem so you can remove the sky one completely.

Saw ZERO performance or signal difference so sent it back for a refund.

That wasn't the main reason though. The feature set through the web console was severely lacking, and the mobile app......well! that was obviously an after thought.

Back
Top Bottom