Spec me a budget gaming rig around a 3060ti and 5600X.

Associate
As title.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I managed to snag a 3060ti today - but my current machine is an ancient i5-2500k on Sandybridge.
I will be using a Fractal Design Define 7 case, as i like their minimalistic design and noise-dampening.

I need recommendations for:
  • Mainboard
  • RAM
  • PSU
  • CPU cooler
  • Anything else I have forgotten about
The machine will only have one spinning disk, and two SSDs. I already possess all the storage I need.

I don't need any 'extras' on the mainboard such as super-fast networking or wi-fi. Just a solid board that will be stand the test of time, and run the attached components to their rated specs. I will not be overclocking anything. I care far more about the longevity of my components than computing power.

My other priority is silence; so the most quiet CPU cooler for this board/CPU would be great. I've been impressed by Noctua in the past - so this would usually by my go-to, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

It's been a long time since I built a machine, so let me know if there are any 'gotchas', such as needing specific PSU cables for the GPU.

Many thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
Quality cooler and quiet but the be quiet dark rock pro 4 or nocthua chromax are quality.

DE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £519.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Man of Honour
Thanks for that mate!

That lot would bring it all in for < £1000, including the case and GPU so seems like a great starting point.

Cheers!

The 5600x will need the motherboard bios yo be updated for it to wotk so make sure you buy a motherboard with bios flashback which the tomahawk does.

This will allow you to update the motherboard without the need for another cpu.

Associate
OP
The 5600x will need the motherboard bios yo be updated for it to wotk so make sure you buy a motherboard with bios flashback which the tomahawk does.

This will allow you to update the motherboard without the need for another cpu.

Ah - thanks for that!

Last time I updated a BIOS was with a floppy and you were encouraged to pray to your deity of choice as it was happening! It seems that we have moved on and it isn't quite so dangerous an operation as it used to be :)

Associate
Good luck, I doing a similar build (got the 3060Ti already) and coming from an i5-2500k which has been running with a good overclock all these years.

Now does seem to be a good time to build a new system.

I am just waiting for my CPU and PSU to ship, which keep getting pushed back.....

Back
Top Bottom