Bizarre performance issue after software crash

Associate
I was running Blender on my new PC build and ran a function which caused Blender to become unresponsive. I was actually quite impressed that I managed to crash it through what I assumed would be running out of RAM (32gb). I eventually closed Blender but the insanely sluggish performance wouldn't go away.

I then turned off the computer and it took a solid 30 seconds to completely switch off (Usually an issue with the OS from my experience).

Once I re-booted the computer it was still incredibly slow, and this was very strange as 5 minutes ago my computer was as quick as lighting. I ran an SSD write/read test on my OS drive (after waiting 10 minutes to get chrome to open, download CrystalDisk & run etc) and even though the process was incredibly slow to complete, my results were perfectly normal. So it couldn't have been an issue with my SSD even though file explorer was telling me to format/optimise the drive.

I then ran a vulnerability scan and Bit Defender alerted me of a Windows update, something about a new framework? After the update was applied the computer sprung back to life as if nothing ever happened.

The question is how on earth did this happen? I've never experienced anything like it before.

Could it be that by running out of RAM my OS somehow got slightly corrupted? Or could this be something else?

Associate
OP
Have you checked cpu usage in task manager ?

Yeah, everything seemed normal from what I remember, it's also what confused me so much as the computer was incredibly slow but my CPU seemed normal.

Looking at it now after the windows update whilst doing a system scan temps are at 32 C & utilisation is at 2% ~4.4Ghz.

Man of Honour
Yeah, everything seemed normal from what I remember, it's also what confused me so much as the computer was incredibly slow but my CPU seemed normal.

Looking at it now after the windows update whilst doing a system scan temps are at 32 C & utilisation is at 2% ~4.4Ghz.
Sounds like a software or windows issie as the update seem to have fixed it.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a software or windows issie as the update seem to have fixed it.
I think so too, my last PC had a BSOD boot loop not soon after using Blender about a month ago (entirely different system). Something strange is definitely going on with either Windows or Blender that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom