Mountain Biking

Soldato
Hi all,

I've recently cracked out my old bike and been on a few rides. It's actually my father's bike as mine is broken, but it's a Carrera XC Kraken I'm using at the moment I believe. I'm enjoying it, but I want to make sure everything is as it should be (as I think there are some issues). It has sat for some time and there is a small amount of rust on the chain, can this be cleaned or is it new chain time?

it has a 3x9 gear set up and I am wrestling constantly with it not settling nicely or when i think it has settled it has a wobble every couple of revolutions. I assume that something is going on in the chainset but I don't know the best way to give it a clean. I have read a few things but there's too much information if that makes sense?! Do I need to start with a chain lube, in which case which is a good one to go for, or is WD40 ok?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Caporegime
Hi all,

I've recently cracked out my old bike and been on a few rides. It's actually my father's bike as mine is broken, but it's a Carrera XC Kraken I'm using at the moment I believe. I'm enjoying it, but I want to make sure everything is as it should be (as I think there are some issues). It has sat for some time and there is a small amount of rust on the chain, can this be cleaned or is it new chain time?

it has a 3x9 gear set up and I am wrestling constantly with it not settling nicely or when i think it has settled it has a wobble every couple of revolutions. I assume that something is going on in the chainset but I don't know the best way to give it a clean. I have read a few things but there's too much information if that makes sense?! Do I need to start with a chain lube, in which case which is a good one to go for, or is WD40 ok?

Thanks for any help you can give!

I'd firstly check the chain is OK, probably replace if cheap enough. If not, don't overly stress and give it a good clean and rinse with soapy water. Then use any good lube on it. Check chain reaction etc for something in your price range. I like smoove. Wd40 isn't a lube, it displaces water so more likely to get rid of lube than lube itself.

Soldato
I'd firstly check the chain is OK, probably replace if cheap enough. If not, don't overly stress and give it a good clean and rinse with soapy water. Then use any good lube on it. Check chain reaction etc for something in your price range. I like smoove. Wd40 isn't a lube, it displaces water so more likely to get rid of lube than lube itself.
Fantastic, thank you. I'll give it a clean first and will go from there!

Associate
bit of snow certainly makes it interesting, good fun though. managed to get a couple of high rides in the snow over christmas/new year. no snow on sundays ride but the ice wasn't much fun, was just a bit to much of it when up high, the rain landing on it made it even slicker.

Associate
bit of snow certainly makes it interesting, good fun though. managed to get a couple of high rides in the snow over christmas/new year. no snow on sundays ride but the ice wasn't much fun, was just a bit to much of it when up high, the rain landing on it made it even slicker.

Haha I was on Helvellyn with crampons and ice axe between Xmas and new year and seen 3 guys on bikes ride up to the summit from dollywaggon pike way I though that's just insane lol

Associate
Any advice for a new rider looking to get into trails sort of riding, maybe some downhill later down the line, basically I always enjoyed cycling and want to do some outdoor fitness, no interest in road cycling and my knees are not fond of running

Looking at a max of £400 or so on a bike for now, seems the Carrera Vulcan is a pretty highly rated starter and my local Halfords has stock, any other options worth considering?

Soldato
Halfords Bazingo (if they have any in stock) or the Vitus Nucleus will both offer bargain cycling. Though 2nd hand is always worth a shout if you don't mind some spannering or potential issues. I sold my old zero for £600 which I doubt you'd match for less than 1200 new.

Planet x and Sonder are worth checking out too.
Just to update - thanks again for this suggestion - I ended up going secondhand and got a Bazingo on your suggestion. It's been fitted with 2.35" tyres at what feels like a ridiculously low pressure, and it's a very strange ride after only riding road bikes for maybe the last 10 years!

This is going to take some getting used to.

EDIT:
Any advice for a new rider looking to get into trails sort of riding, maybe some downhill later down the line, basically I always enjoyed cycling and want to do some outdoor fitness, no interest in road cycling and my knees are not fond of running

Looking at a max of £400 or so on a bike for now, seems the Carrera Vulcan is a pretty highly rated starter and my local Halfords has stock, any other options worth considering?
I ended up getting a secondhand Voodoo Bazingo - another Halfords bike - for £450. As above - it was recommended by @Begbie and from a bit of research it seems very well regarded (eg here - https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/voodoo-bizango)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just to update - thanks again for this suggestion - I ended up going secondhand and got a Bazingo on your suggestion. It's been fitted with 2.35" tyres at what feels like a ridiculously low pressure, and it's a very strange ride after only riding road bikes for maybe the last 10 years!

This is going to take some getting used to.

Awesome, good introduction bikes - I rode one ages ago. Have fun :)

Soldato
Awesome, good introduction bikes - I rode one ages ago. Have fun :)
Cheers! I'm itching for tomorrow lunchtime and a chance to get out for a first ride!

Quick question for anyone - I'm not used to flat pedals at all. They feel really odd and insecure. I've always used mountain bike SPDs on my road bikes, and I have a spare pair which I'm wondering about whether to put on the new bike.

What do most people do?

Caporegime
Cheers! I'm itching for tomorrow lunchtime and a chance to get out for a first ride!

Quick question for anyone - I'm not used to flat pedals at all. They feel really odd and insecure. I've always used mountain bike SPDs on my road bikes, and I have a spare pair which I'm wondering about whether to put on the new bike.

What do most people do?

It's a mix and whatever you feel comfortable with. Some of the fastest riders I know clip in. If you can, try both. I run flats, but I'd definitely be faster with clips. But when your riding down sketchy vert it's a steep learning curve!

Soldato

What do most people do?
Flats.

Associate

What do most people do?
flats, but I've just put some of those hybrid "clipless on 1 side and flat on the other" pedals on my hardtail to give it a go. Certainly keeping flats on my full suss as I want to be able to get my feet off instantly if it's anything technical.

Soldato
It's a mix and whatever you feel comfortable with. Some of the fastest riders I know clip in. If you can, try both. I run flats, but I'd definitely be faster with clips. But when your riding down sketchy vert it's a steep learning curve!

flats, but I've just put some of those hybrid "clipless on 1 side and flat on the other" pedals on my hardtail to give it a go. Certainly keeping flats on my full suss as I want to be able to get my feet off instantly if it's anything technical.

Thanks. I'll stick with these flats then for a few rides and see how I get on...

Back
Top Bottom