32" OLED has arrived - LG 32EP950

Soldato
Because it categorically doesn't, not side by side in regular/low light conditions. The per pixel illumination sees to that when viewing dark content such as star fields/space scenes, a flashlight in a dark room (so basically every horror film ever made), and anything else of that nature. OLED utterly destroys LCD in these situations, this isn't even subjective.

HOWEVER, add lots of ambient light in your environment, something like a nature programme, a colourful scene full of bright colours etc. then you will see a top-end FALD LCD pop more.
Ok i just tested the start of this You tube clip on my OLED vs My LCD and yes i admit my OLED did look much better playing this video

Associate
How many monitors someone has doesn't change the fact that burn-in is a risk inherent to OLED. Not that it's guaranteed by any means, but the longer someone spends in the same application with static menus, the risk WILL be greater.

I know, I don't think I ever suggested otherwise. I'm just taking about describing it as safe for 'gaming', which I disagree with, because most consumers use the the same monitor for everything. I. E. It's not going to be just gaming, it's going to be browsers and menus

Soldato
OP
I know, I don't think I ever suggested otherwise. I'm just taking about describing it as safe for 'gaming', which I disagree with, because most consumers use the the same monitor for everything. I. E. It's not going to be just gaming, it's going to be browsers and menus

I've never seen a case of an average gamer suffer from burn-in on an OLED. I don't doubt someone playing Fortnite or any ONE single game with a HUD displayed for hours and hours on end might cause problems (and the rtings torture tests prove as much, albeit extreme), but that being the case, it would also be a concern for any application used in the same way, but as has been mentioned, desktop brightness settings would be less than a game most likely.

Associate
I've never seen a case of an average gamer suffer from burn-in on an OLED. I don't doubt someone playing Fortnite or any ONE single game with a HUD displayed for hours and hours on end might cause problems (and the rtings torture tests prove as much, albeit extreme), but that being the case, it would also be a concern for any application used in the same way, but as has been mentioned, desktop brightness settings would be less than a game most likely.

I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me, agreeing with me, or don't get the point I'm trying to make?
We both agree that OLED can suffer burn in. Are you suggesting that using an OLED, for example, 50% desktop use and 50% gaming isn't likely to be an issue?

Soldato
OP
I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me, agreeing with me, or don't get the point I'm trying to make?
We both agree that OLED can suffer burn in. Are you suggesting that using an OLED, for example, 50% desktop use and 50% gaming isn't likely to be an issue?

I'd argue that any use case, for the most part, will not result in burn-in. Using the same application, for example a video editing app or Photoshop, for 12+ hours a day, every day, would be just as risky as playing a single game for that amount of time. Most people don't do this though. If someone is doing either, whether they're a content creator or hard core gamer, I wouldn't want to recommend that person get an OLED.

Caporegime
Because it categorically doesn't, not side by side in regular/low light conditions. The per pixel illumination sees to that when viewing dark content such as star fields/space scenes, a flashlight in a dark room (so basically every horror film ever made), and anything else of that nature. OLED utterly destroys LCD in these situations, this isn't even subjective.

HOWEVER, add lots of ambient light in your environment, something like a nature programme, a colourful scene full of bright colours etc. then you will see a top-end FALD LCD pop more.
This.

You just can not match self emissive pixels, no matter how many zones you have on a LCD.

Also, with oled, you don't even need to display HDR content to get proper blacks in SDR content, way back when I got my first oled:

k12UH8ol.jpg

6mpPmP5l.jpg

LCD just can't come close to that clean crisp look, then when you turn HDR on a LCD, you'll just get halo'ing/blooming (watch on an oled based screen)

Back
Top Bottom