• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Adjusting the voltage of a rx580

Associate
Hi guys just looking for some advice. My gpu is reaching 87 so I need to change the voltage as people say that will help. Just a question, how do I and by how much? I have no idea where to start lol. Thanks for any information :)

Soldato
MSI Afterburner is what you need to change your graphics card clocks, voltages and power limits.

I’d start by changing the fan curve rather than undervolting though - setting the fans to ramp up more quickly. If the card has been in your machine a while it’s also with taking it out and blowing out all the dust buildup.

Associate
OP
MSI Afterburner is what you need to change your graphics card clocks, voltages and power limits.

I’d start by changing the fan curve rather than undervolting though - setting the fans to ramp up more quickly. If the card has been in your machine a while it’s also with taking it out and blowing out all the dust buildup.

Do you just adjust slightly and then check temperatures? Or do you do it to by a certain amount?

Soldato
Download Unigine Heaven and run it on a loop, windowed, to stress the card. You can change settings as the test runs to see the effects. Small changes and waiting until the temperature stabilises is the right way to do it. Make sure that the ‘apply at start-up’ option isn’t selected otherwise if you crash it you may have to boot in safe mode to restore the settings.

If you’re set on undervolting you’ll need to lower the core clock and power limit as well to remain stable. You don’t have settings available in Afterburner that will allow you to damage your card. The vBIOS won’t allow crazy voltages and will throttle to avoid cooking itself.

Do check if it’s just clogged with dust before starting any of this!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Download Unigine Heaven and run it on a loop, windowed, to stress the card. You can change settings as the test runs to see the effects. Small changes and waiting until the temperature stabilises is the right way to do it. Make sure that the ‘apply at start-up’ option isn’t selected otherwise if you crash it you may have to boot in safe mode to restore the settings.

If you’re set on undervolting you’ll need to lower the core clock and power limit as well to remain stable. You don’t have settings available in Afterburner that will allow you to damage your card. The vBIOS won’t allow crazy voltages and will throttle to avoid cooking itself.

Do check if it’s just clogged with dust before starting any of this!

Well, my gpu is getting too high, I purchased extra fans which didn't make much of a difference. I opened up the other pci slots to help vent the air out.i cleaned the gpu from dust. The only time it runs at a ok temp is when I have the side panel off which isn't s long term solution I don't think ? The only solution I have left as far as I can tell is under voting it or buying a new pc case for more ventalation, which I can't afford to spend much on a case at this current time. I think letting it run to hot isn't going to do the gpu to good. Trust me I really don't want to mess about with it so if there is anything else I could do ?

Soldato
The RX 580 is a hot running card. My daughter's 580 also runs at similar temperatures at stock speeds. You can reduce the voltage and clock speeds to help in the Radeon Setting app too. Reducing the clock speeds will reduce the temperature but at the cost of performance of course...

Soldato
You don't actually need any external software to adjust it with an AMD card. You can do it in AMD's own driver software. There are some decent guides out there that'll walk you through the process:

I'd highly recommend it. Polaris is overvolted to buggery by default and you'll absolutely be able to end up with a cooler and quieter card without losing any performance, or a really cool and quiet one for a tiny performance trade-off.

Associate
OP
You don't actually need any external software to adjust it with an AMD card. You can do it in AMD's own driver software. There are some decent guides out there that'll walk you through the process:

I'd highly recommend it. Polaris is overvolted to buggery by default and you'll absolutely be able to end up with a cooler and quieter card without losing any performance, or a really cool and quiet one for a tiny performance trade-off.
Ok so I followed his steps and unfortunately it just kept crashing thr program even if I adjusted it by 30 instead of a 100. So i guess my card isn't up for it... or I am just messing up somehow lol

Associate
Is this a hard thing to do ? Or really simple ?
It depends on the cooler. You will need to be confident with a screwdriver as there will be a few screws to undo check on YouTube as there is bound to be somebody who has done it for your graphics card.

Soldato
Ok so I followed his steps and unfortunately it just kept crashing thr program even if I adjusted it by 30 instead of a 100. So i guess my card isn't up for it... or I am just messing up somehow lol
Are you adjusting the clock speed along with the voltage? If your card is a bit of a dog and won't let you undervolt much at stock clocks, you might try dropping the clocks along with the voltage and approaching it from the other direction. For example, you could make your State 7 1050mV on the voltage and 1200MHz on the clock, then adjust the other states as in the video to cascade downwards incrementally. Then test if you're stable (which you really should be unless you have the worst card in existence), and after that gradually work the clocks back up in, say, 20MHz steps whilst leaving the voltage alone until it becomes unstable. Then back the clock down 20MHz and go about thoroughly testing it to make sure. I'd recommend saving overclock profiles every now and then in the AMD software by clicking the three dots in the top right though, as it will reset everything to default after a crash and you'll have to enter it all again if you can't just load up a saved profile. Plus if you want to lower voltage even more in the future, you'll have an easy starting point. My best RX 580 would do 1340MHz at just 1000mV, though I've had others that performed worse than that. There's definetly silicon lottery involved.

Associate
OP
Are you adjusting the clock speed along with the voltage? If your card is a bit of a dog and won't let you undervolt much at stock clocks, you might try dropping the clocks along with the voltage and approaching it from the other direction. For example, you could make your State 7 1050mV on the voltage and 1200MHz on the clock, then adjust the other states as in the video to cascade downwards incrementally. Then test if you're stable (which you really should be unless you have the worst card in existence), and after that gradually work the clocks back up in, say, 20MHz steps whilst leaving the voltage alone until it becomes unstable. Then back the clock down 20MHz and go about thoroughly testing it to make sure. I'd recommend saving overclock profiles every now and then in the AMD software by clicking the three dots in the top right though, as it will reset everything to default after a crash and you'll have to enter it all again if you can't just load up a saved profile. Plus if you want to lower voltage even more in the future, you'll have an easy starting point. My best RX 580 would do 1340MHz at just 1000mV, though I've had others that performed worse than that. There's definetly silicon lottery involved.
Ok thanks will give it another go :)

Associate
OP
It depends on the cooler. You will need to be confident with a screwdriver as there will be a few screws to undo check on YouTube as there is bound to be somebody who has done it for your graphics card.
Ok bud thanks. Any thoughts on the compound to use ? As in brand of it ?

Associate
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut as I have had very good results with it espically with my vega 64 which gets stupid hot.

Back
Top Bottom