Wardrobes & Chest of Drawers

Soldato
Hey all

We purchased some flat pack Argos furniture namely a wardrobe and chest of drawers in the malibu range. It sat in our bedroom for most of the last few months but earlier in the week I started building the chest of drawers. It was MDF so I wasn't expecting much but after building most of the frame and drawers already it then transpires the top was incorrectly finished. The horrible MDF end was showing where the nice finished edge was meant to be. I deconstructed it all and followed the guide again to the t but definitely was wrong. Anyway I thought I would just finish the build even though it was the wrong way around to test it and omg it was rubbish, the drawers slid off the sliders, it was bowing in the middle before even put anything in.

Anyway the wardrobe was from the same set and build type and realised we don't want them now. To be fair to Argos they were great, arranged collection of the half built chest of drawers and of the wardrobe. Collected and refunded in just a few days.

So now thinking about all this cheapness I want to invest in some good solid furniture but the budget is still rather low (£500 tops for both). So does anyone have any decent places they know of to get decent solid wood furniture and don't have a 12-16 week turnaround (like oakfurnitureland)

Last edited:
Soldato
So now thinking about all this cheapness I want to invest in some good solid furniture but the budget is still rather low (£500 tops for both). So does anyone have any decent places they know of to get decent solid wood furniture and don't have a 12-16 week turnaround (like oakfurnitureland)

I'd second IKEA for that sort of money. Once it's together, it's pretty solid, doesn't look bad, not very expensive. For instance, when I did a big chest of drawers, they had things like a metal strut you screwed across the bottom of the wide drawers to give them support so you won't bow the bottoms out by overloading the drawer. The top on it was heavy and solid.

Last edited:

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Got a couple of IKEA PAX wardrobes which although decent and solid all the shelves in the doubles have bowed over time despite having minimal weight on them.

Back
Top Bottom