Anyone applied for permission for increased fence height?

Soldato
I'd like to replace a two panel fence separating two driveways between two bungalows.

The front doors to the bungalows face each other as they're both on the sides of the houses, and they both have offices on the same wall facing each other, and garages that cross the drives and connect.

The neighbour put up a ring security camera and security light, and due to the confined space it's pretty much impossible for them not to capture us walking up the drive to our front door.

I've got nothing against security cameras, I have both ring and nest myself, but my relative who lives in the bungalow doesn't like the idea of being captured on a neighbours camera when coming and going. We just want privacy.

Plus, due to the way the ring works, I think even though they may have set motion zones to their drive only, our approach still triggers the motion detection for the security light aspect.

I'd like to replace the two panels and increase their height to approx 2.3m, which would be just below the garage soffit, and would mean both houses could have security cameras and lights without disturbing the other party.

I asked the neighbour about this and it ended up in a heated argument when he said he didn't want to look at a tall fence from the office (as opposed to looking directly into our office window, at our front door and our wall??)

He doesn't want me to put anything up taller than the standard 2m, which doesn't really solve the security camera problem.

So, anyone know what the process is like when applying for increased fence height and the likelihood of getting it in this situation?

Does someone come out and look or do they just judge by information/photos/drawings provided?

Does notice get sent to the neighbour?

Just not sure if it's worth the hassle for long term neighbour relations or not.

Soldato
OP
Get a grip on what?

Is it unreasonable to not want to be recorded by a camera owned and controlled by someone else every time you walk in and out of your front door?

Soldato
I don't know the answer, but I don't think your concerns are unreasonable. Good luck getting it sorted out.

A word with the council will probably give you an idea about fence height restrictions.

Man of Honour
Stick extremely loud and obnoxious windchimes up, in the line of sight that you have issue with. This will act as a motion source, either causing them use a lot of data/battery/notifications to be sent or forcing them to put a proper dead zone in, as well as being a nice source of audio for them to listen to while in their office :)

I have no real solution, I'm sorry.

Soldato
Grow bamboo up the existing fence? It'll act like a fence/screen but it's not so I don't think it would be applicable to planning consent, it doesn't take a very big footprint in the ground either.

I think the rules surrounding CCTV are quite strict as well now, you can request to see footage under the GDPR if you want to go down that route also. Maybe it'll make him point the camera away in the end.

Soldato
Wow, really, it’s unreasonable to not want to be filmed by neighbors every time you enter your own house?

you get filmed everytime you walk into a shop, you get filmed everytime you fill your car with petrol, you get filmed everytime you walk down the high street..... do i need to go on? whats the difference, you think your neighbor sits there masturbating watching you walking into your house....

Soldato
You can apply for planning permission for whatever you want. Whether it is accepted on not depends on the impact it would have on character of the area, residential amenity etc.

A good starting point is whether you would find the proposal unreasonable if on the receiving end?

A planning officer would review all the submitted information and make a site visit.

Soldato
you get filmed everytime you walk into a shop, you get filmed everytime you fill your car with petrol, you get filmed everytime you walk down the high street..... do i need to go on? whats the difference, you think your neighbor sits there masturbating watching you walking into your house....

These are examples of being filmed when you voluntarily enter someone else's property. The OP does not want to be filmed when he enters his own property. Personal property rights have to mean something since, like you say, you get filmed everywhere else.

Soldato
Put a 2 metre fence up then attach planter baskets with some tall growing plants to make the difference in height?
Or every time you go out pop a leaflet through his letterbox asking to for a copy of all recorded identifiable information within 30 days, and another one requesting to be deleted from said recordings.
He'll get sick of that before you do.

Soldato
Grow bamboo up the existing fence? It'll act like a fence/screen but it's not so I don't think it would be applicable to planning consent, it doesn't take a very big footprint in the ground either.

I think the rules surrounding CCTV are quite strict as well now, you can request to see footage under the GDPR if you want to go down that route also. Maybe it'll make him point the camera away in the end.

Bamboo is a pretty good shout. Nicer to look at than a fence, and will easily surpass 2m

Caporegime
These are examples of being filmed when you voluntarily enter someone else's property. The OP does not want to be filmed when he enters his own property. Personal property rights have to mean something since, like you say, you get filmed everywhere else.

If he takes issue with the cameras then ask for them to be placed elsewhere where they cover the same area but from a different angle.

If they refuse then get on with life.

Or buy a infrared laser and just point it straight at their cameras.

Soldato
Or every time you go out pop a leaflet through his letterbox asking to for a copy of all recorded identifiable information within 30 days, and another one requesting to be deleted from said recordings.
He'll get sick of that before you do.

wouldn't he then have a case for trespass/nuisance and has all the evidence on the camera in question?

Soldato
The neighbour is now a Data Controller and has legal obligations to fulfil those requests.
I think the OP has every right to privacy on his own property.
If the neighbour won't amicably agree to a mutual solution of a 2.3 metre fence, and neighbourly relations are already poor, then I'd raise a nuisance/privacy case with the Local Authority

Tea Drinker
Don
Stick extremely loud and obnoxious windchimes up, in the line of sight that you have issue with. This will act as a motion source, either causing them use a lot of data/battery/notifications to be sent or forcing them to put a proper dead zone in, as well as being a nice source of audio for them to listen to while in their office :)

I have no real solution, I'm sorry.

Like that or a deer scarer in line of sight or start feeding squirrels.

Soldato
:D

I can't help but think those suggesting to "attack" thy neighbour are the ones sharing that meme about not dobbing in thy neighbour if thy neighbour breaks COVID rules.

Bamboo sounds sensible. Or ask them to point it more specifically at their drive.

On the other hand, if you ever have an issue it could come in handy.

Back
Top Bottom