PCI-E 4.0 CPU and PCI-E 3.0 motherboard

Soldato
I have a 3700X and a Prime X470-Pro. The CPU has 24 Gen 4 PCI-E lanes and the motherboard has 32 PCI-E Gen 3 lanes.

I'm looking for a Gen 4 SSD to replace my Gen 3 SSD and I am trying to figure out PCI-E lanes. However I noticed in GPU-Z that my 6800XT is using Gen 3 lanes even though the CPU can provide Gen 4 lanes. Will the motherboard always limit me to Gen 3 regardless of what gen CPU lanes I have? I heard about some gen 3 chipsets (on Intel) supporting Gen 4 as long "as they were not too far away from the CPU" is that the case for AMD too? (The gpu is in the top PCI-E slot)

Soldato
I have a 3700X and a Prime X470-Pro. The CPU has 24 Gen 4 PCI-E lanes and the motherboard has 32 PCI-E Gen 3 lanes.

I'm looking for a Gen 4 SSD to replace my Gen 3 SSD and I am trying to figure out PCI-E lanes. However I noticed in GPU-Z that my 6800XT is using Gen 3 lanes even though the CPU can provide Gen 4 lanes. Will the motherboard always limit me to Gen 3 regardless of what gen CPU lanes I have? I heard about some gen 3 chipsets (on Intel) supporting Gen 4 as long "as they were not too far away from the CPU" is that the case for AMD too? (The gpu is in the top PCI-E slot)
Im pretty sure it will mate you need a x570 or b550 motherboard

Back
Top Bottom