Is anyone having problems witth orders being sent to outside the UK or is it just me ?

Associate
Is anyone else outside of the UK having problems with their order being shipped ? I live in the ROI and I bought a Pre built PC on the 10th of December, it was shipped to me on the 4th of January but it had to be returned due to problems with Brexit and I was told about that it would "probably" be shipped within a week. But now all that I'm told is that their IT department will take longer than what they had thought to fix some problem which makes them unable to ship the computer to me. I bought a Monitor from Amazon UK now in January since then and had 0 problems, the item arrived in less than 2 weeks. I'm just wondering if anyone else is going through the the same thing as me.

Soldato
Some companies were ready for brexit and some weren’t, it’s as simple as that.

Amazon for example were always going to hit the ground running in order to maintain continuity of service in the ROI. Smaller companies with less sales outside of the UK are obviously going to take that bit longer getting things in order.

Permabanned
Caporegime

Admin fees from couriers are ridiculous they add up to like £16 to process the fee. Complete scam.

It's why people are paying more.

I think royal mail charge a flat £12 or something so if the fee is £3 you have to pay £15 to get your parcel.

Why I never order from USA any more either

Caporegime

People have been charged because UK VAT hasn't been accounted for on their purchases so they're having to pay import VAT plus any customs duties and courier admin fees.

That isn't going to change tomorrow, next week or next year.

Permabanned
Admin fees from couriers are ridiculous they add up to like £16 to process the fee. Complete scam.

I think royal mail charge a flat £12 or something so if the fee is £3 you have to pay £15 to get your parcel.

People have been charged because UK VAT hasn't been accounted for on their purchases so they're having to pay import VAT plus any customs duties and courier admin fees.

That isn't going to change tomorrow, next week or next year.

I never new this, now I do!

Soldato
I mentioned this in SC only a few hours ago:

Moving away from the vaccine stuff for a second — one of my eCommerce clients has just had to stop selling to the Republic of Ireland via their UK website because of a huge increase in delivery costs.

RoI isn’t a huge part of their customer base but it’s still going to hurt them. They’ve been trying since 4th Jan to keep it going but have finally admitted defeat. They have just cancelled and refunded all of the outstanding RoI orders. :(

Soldato

Its not new though I remember exactly the same thing on something imported from US years ago VAT+ admin fee or duty or whatever they called it which amounted to about half the vat charge. Didn't try that again.

Caporegime
Its not new though I remember exactly the same thing on something imported from US years ago VAT+ admin fee or duty or whatever they called it which amounted to about half the vat charge. Didn't try that again.

Yeah I know. I have ordered tons of stuff from America and continue to do so on a regular basis but much less now as even asking the sender to mark value as £15 or as a free sample no longer works sometimes.

The issue is that this wasn't normally the case for stuff bought within the EU and now it is.

It's why I bought everything I could think I needed or wanted before the end of the year as I knew prices would rise thereafter. The only thing I didn't get and completely regret was a robot vacuum. The one I was looking at in November has now doubled in price and I don't see it ever halving now.

Caporegime
Yeah I know. I have ordered tons of stuff from America and continue to do so on a regular basis but much less now as even asking the sender to mark value as £15 or as a free sample no longer works sometimes.

I recall you posting about how people evading tax should be targeted. Also, didn't you work for HMRC?

Caporegime
I recall you posting about how people evading tax should be targeted. Also, didn't you work for HMRC?

There's a huge difference between someone earning £1k a day cash in hand and someone who orders something only available abroad with no other alternative and because they live in another country being forced to pay ridiculous fees.

If Royal mail didn't charge £12 per parcel just to process a fee and it was a percentage or £3 I'd happily pay.

The alternative is I just stop ordering or I order them to family over the pond then I go over there and collect in bulk when I go over. Which is perfectly fine.

I pay the fees on a regular basis and have done so. Cash in hand don't pay anything at all.

Like I say my import charges are usually only £3 it's the fees which I completely disagree with it's money for nothing. The items I order are only circa 30-90 dollars at a time.

Last time I was there I just bought them directly and brought it over. Which is allowed as it's well under the threshold.

I don't think you can compare my situation with someone day in day out taking cash in hand. I have no alternative but to buy from America. It's not available anywhere else.

Soldato
Indeed, quit whinging that the current legal system annoys you.
A flat fee is more sensible for a company anyway, as no matter the size of the item, it likely takes the same administrative overhead to process a small item as it does an expensive item, so the fee should be flat.

Back
Top Bottom