BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
It's so difficult to look past an M340i or similar as an absolutely excellent all-rounder. They are really very tempting, especially given BMW seems to have accidently facelifted the 5 Series to appeal to the ex-fleet high mileage Ebay bling market.

What’s the differences between an M4 and a M440i? Is it just an engine or does the M4 have genuinely different mechanical suspension etc?

Soldato
Typically M cars are massively different with a totally different drivetrain, stiffer or solid bushings, different suspension arms, uprights, dampers etc.

Think of the M440i is an 440i M Sport with more power than you'd expect. It's not an M4.

Thank you, noted. M4 it is then. Thinking of getting a last gen M4 cab next year to replace my Z4 335iS and I am seeing a lot of 440i's and just wondered what they were.

Soldato
On the cost of the M340.
It’s cheaper for me to get a Porsche Taycan 4S on my company car scheme than it is for an M340

Man of Honour
Thank you, noted. M4 it is then. Thinking of getting a last gen M4 cab next year to replace my Z4 335iS and I am seeing a lot of 440i's and just wondered what they were.

The 440i you are seeing are not M440i then they are 440i M Sport. These are considerably less powerful than the new M440i which isn't available as a cab yet.

Man of Honour
On the cost of the M340.
It’s cheaper for me to get a Porsche Taycan 4S on my company car scheme than it is for an M340

This is because the government is distorting the market through tax policy to encourage take-up of electric cars.

If it's that cheap why are you driving that plastic Polestar thing, get your Taycan order in!

Man of Honour
I guess cause they are worth FA in 3 yrs ?

Which they are not.

Even the discontinued last gen 440i isn't worth nothing at 3 years old, the much newer and fresher M440i will have stronger residuals than that.

It's simply a nonsense price, a combination of a crap lease deal and silly company car tax.

Soldato
An M340i would be something daft like £600 in BIK alone wouldn't it for a 40% tax payer? (which I'd guess is most people who could access such a car as a company car)

Caporegime
Which they are not.

Even the discontinued last gen 440i isn't worth nothing at 3 years old, the much newer and fresher M440i will have stronger residuals than that.

It's simply a nonsense price, a combination of a crap lease deal and silly company car tax.
Have you found a better deal on a M440? i just looked and all £800+ with big deposit

Soldato
You asked why, I gave you the answer.

Unless it was one of those rhetorical political type posts where the government are the audience type questions?

They never really work on forums for obvious reasons. :p

EDIT: they are actually encouraging the uptake of low carbon cars to meet Paris 2050 agreement. This happens to be electric cars.

I’m guessing the Taycan is a 4S or even the entry RWD anyway?

Last edited:
Soldato
Question regarding the 35is Z4, I believe there are less than 400 on UK roads, is this going to become a “collectible” or worth anything in the future? Some comments I’ve read on the Z4 forum seem to suggest their value has gone up a bit this year.
Debating what to do with mine, sell on or keep/store/sorn etc over winters. It’s an additional car so I don’t need it, but do like it, but running out of space

Soldato
Question regarding the 35is Z4, I believe there are less than 400 on UK roads, is this going to become a “collectible” or worth anything in the future? Some comments I’ve read on the Z4 forum seem to suggest their value has gone up a bit this year.
Debating what to do with mine, sell on or keep/store/sorn etc over winters. It’s an additional car so I don’t need it, but do like it, but running out of space

They aren't that special. I'd be amazed if they became collectible.

It's not like the new Z4 is a flop or anything. It's got the brilliant B58 engine, an LSD and decent looks with up to date tech.

Lots of cars have increased in value this year and thats mainly because there was increased demand for second hand cars as people tried to avoid public transport. New car sales were significantly down in 2020 which also reduced used car supply.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom