Tips for a PC gamer returning to console after a decade

Associate
Hi chaps,

So my last console was a PS2, and for the last decade I’ve been gaming solely on PC, however today I picked myself up an XBox Series X. I don’t intend for it to replace my PC entirely, it’ll be for casual sofa gaming.

As I’ve been out of the loop on consoles for so long are there any tips or recommendations you’d give? Obviously game recommendations would be great, but also anything else that’s worth knowing/resources that would be useful etc?

My PC gaming tastes are mainly simulations and more hardcore FPS, which I’ll still play on the PC, but driving games or anything else that works well on console will be what I’m after.

Haven’t hooked up the console yet, that’ll be a job for tomorrow evening, and haven’t bought any games yet either, so I’m coming in from a blank slate.

Cheers.

Associate
OP
Thanks. Just signed up for game pass, and forza horizon 4 looks like a perfect game to start with.

Are there any action type games or anything else that is worth looking at? I already have RDR2, CyberPunk, and GTA5 on PC, but I’m tempted to grab GTA5 again for the Xbox. As my PC gaming has been in largely in somewhat niche genres in quite out of the loop really. I’ll try and find some YouTube reviews and articles to guide me along the way, but any personal recommendations would be highly appreciated too.

Lot's of titles are Xbox Play Anywhere so you can pick up on PC from your xbox session & vice versa.

Oh really, this sounds very interesting, I’ll have a look in to it, thanks.

Soldato
Thanks. Just signed up for game pass, and forza horizon 4 looks like a perfect game to start with.

Are there any action type games or anything else that is worth looking at? I already have RDR2, CyberPunk, and GTA5 on PC, but I’m tempted to grab GTA5 again for the Xbox. As my PC gaming has been in largely in somewhat niche genres in quite out of the loop really. I’ll try and find some YouTube reviews and articles to guide me along the way, but any personal recommendations would be highly appreciated too.

The Gears of War series is fantastic. Gears 5 looks awesome and plays well on the Series X so definitely have a look at that. And obviously Halo as well if you want to experience the original Xbox shooter. They're all being remastered in the MCC edition so worth a go as well.

Make sure you sign up to Game Pass using one of the Xbox Live Gold upgrade tricks so that you get a few years access for a load less than you'd pay without the conversion. There's a thread in here that shows you how to do it.

Man of Honour

A plague tale, hellblade, dishonored 2, the medium, resident evil VII, Yakuza 0-6, control.

Associate
State of Decay 2 is a great COOP game, infact pretty cool on your todd. You can leave your game open for others to join and help you build your community. It had a rocky uptake by the community initially but has had a fair bit of content now and really is a great little game. SOD 3 is in development for the SERIES S & X but 2 is well worth playing. It recently got optimised for the SERIES X and runs at a fluid 60FPS as what I presume is 4k as it looks great.

Classic bit of zombie smashing with a plethora of weapons to loot or do challenges for. Vehicles are fun to drive and use as weapons too. Permadeath makes it interesting. They have since made the game difficulty far more scalavble now. So you can pretty much customise as you like. From pottering around with litlte resistance to full on nightmare mode.

Give it a pop!

Man of Honour
State of Decay 2 is a great COOP game, infact pretty cool on your todd. You can leave your game open for others to join and help you build your community. It had a rocky uptake by the community initially but has had a fair bit of content now and really is a great little game. SOD 3 is in development for the SERIES S & X but 2 is well worth playing. It recently got optimised for the SERIES X and runs at a fluid 60FPS as what I presume is 4k as it looks great.

Classic bit of zombie smashing with a plethora of weapons to loot or do challenges for. Vehicles are fun to drive and use as weapons too. Permadeath makes it interesting. They have since made the game difficulty far more scalavble now. So you can pretty much customise as you like. From pottering around with litlte resistance to full on nightmare mode.

Give it a pop!

My friends hated coop on state of decay 2 because they were really mined in what the could do (they can’t build bases) and only the host has progress tracked.

Dead island and World War Z are much more enjoyable in coop if you are after a zombie game.

Associate
My friends hated coop on state of decay 2 because they were really mined in what the could do (they can’t build bases) and only the host has progress tracked.

Dead island and World War Z are much more enjoyable in coop if you are after a zombie game.

Yeah I would prefer to actually be able to construct and position items within the base myself. I feel that was actually something that could be fleshed out a lot more. I would also like coop to be true COOP, so when you scavenge or loot itms it goes into a collective pot (as you say only host progress is tracked. But I still think it is a good COOP experience with friends. Fingers crossed for SOD3, they are really active devs with the community so hope the feedback they got in terms of what people wanted in the game can now be realised with next gen consoles.

I had dead Island on PC and never really played it that much, think it was a stutter issues that I never got to remedy even with some hot fixes and third party programs. World War Z, I haven't looked at that yet, might take a look on SERIES X with that. I think the best Zombie experience for me was Dying Light & the following. That did have good coop, no base building obviously but great combat and just fun!

Man of Honour
Yeah I would prefer to actually be able to construct and position items within the base myself. I feel that was actually something that could be fleshed out a lot more. I would also like coop to be true COOP, so when you scavenge or loot itms it goes into a collective pot (as you say only host progress is tracked. But I still think it is a good COOP experience with friends. Fingers crossed for SOD3, they are really active devs with the community so hope the feedback they got in terms of what people wanted in the game can now be realised with next gen consoles.

I had dead Island on PC and never really played it that much, think it was a stutter issues that I never got to remedy even with some hot fixes and third party programs. World War Z, I haven't looked at that yet, might take a look on SERIES X with that. I think the best Zombie experience for me was Dying Light & the following. That did have good coop, no base building obviously but great combat and just fun!

Nothing has come close to Left 4 Dead for coop zombie gaming, but that's not on game pass :(

I too have high expectations for SoD3 coop.

Associate
OP
Get a really good HDR tv.

I’ve been running a Sony 55A1 OLED since 2017, so have that covered.

Give it a pop!

Yep grabbed that one, played the first on PC so if it’s more of the same it’ll be entertaining.

Have 8 games from game pass and I’ve picked up assassins creed Valhalla as well. That should do me for a while. Forza Horizons 4 is certainly very enjoyable for some casual sofa sessions, I’ve grabbed Forza 7 as well but haven’t played it yet.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom