ASUS Z170-P Motherboard with i5 6400 2.7GHz - CPU Upgrade worth it?

Soldato
Hello,
As above, I have an ASUS Z170-P m/board with a Core i5 6400 2.7 GHz CPU (LGA 1151).

Looking at the mother board spec I could buy a "pre-owned" Core i7 6700T 4GHz for £150 (varies - auction). New £300!!! - what sort of performance upgrade - e.g. games or Photoshop would I notice - can anybody hazard a guess or estimate please?

The Graphic board is a Radeon RX580 (bought ages ago at a reasonable price, not todays sill prices!)

INTEL Core i7 6700K 4.0Ghz & ASUS Z170-P - Motherboard & CPU Bundle

Brand new £439.99 SIIILLLLYYY Price!

Thanks, Mel

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would suggest you get a 10100F for £70 and a H410/B460 motherboard, then sell yours, rather than buy a 6700T for £150. The low clock speed isn't really something you want to be hindered by nowadays. If you mean a 6700K it performs better, but I'd still pick the 10100F.

Soldato
OP
This is a spare PC that my Grandson uses and at the moment doesn't get much use (no visits) but with 1 "jab" done and another in a month or two may get more use. He has borrowed it for a month or so and it's on the border of his games requirements - works but sometimes a bit sluggish. Has 16GB of DDR4 memory.

So it's all working "OK" and copes with his "needs" - just thought - "what is the cheapest way to get a bit more performance?" - was hoping for (say) £100 - but as with everything else - CPU prices seem silly at present.

Was hoping for a "just drop a better CPU in" solution. Thanks for your thoughts though - I am OK at buying a package of parts for a new PC but no good at judging when to upgrade in mid-life (of the kit, not me!).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is a spare PC that my Grandson uses and at the moment doesn't get much use (no visits) but with 1 "jab" done and another in a month or two may get more use. He has borrowed it for a month or so and it's on the border of his games requirements - works but sometimes a bit sluggish. Has 16GB of DDR4 memory.

So it's all working "OK" and copes with his "needs" - just thought - "what is the cheapest way to get a bit more performance?" - was hoping for (say) £100 - but as with everything else - CPU prices seem silly at present.

Was hoping for a "just drop a better CPU in" solution. Thanks for your thoughts though - I OK at buying a package of parts for a new PC but no good at judging when to upgrade in mid-life (of the kit, not me!).
The prices for 1151 quads with HT have always been silly, so it's nothing new I'm afraid. The difference is that now you can buy something equivalent or better, for less than the price of one second hand CPU.

Soldato
OP
The prices for 1151 quads with HT have always been silly, so it's nothing new I'm afraid. The difference is that now you can buy something equivalent or better, for less than the price of one second hand CPU.

You look about right here! Thinking cap on - will wait and see what user-demand turns out to be before I splash out!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom