Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Hey guys, currently residing in Australia (Still a UK resident, but working over here on a temporary visa) and have been dabbling in the market a little bit with some of my savings to varying degrees of success. I hold a few ETFs and stocks but have been thinking that I would like to get involved with the UK market and put my savings to use. I'm not really clued up on how best to get going back in the UK but am I right in saying I should be trading via a S&S ISA (in the first instance)?

I've looked at the options and they all seem fairly expensive (well, in comparison to Australia). I saw Halifax have a 36GBP (up from 12.50) per year fee from April 2021 to use their S&S services (I bank with Halifax already so thought it may be easier) and I think their per trade cost was around 12GBP. Then I read about iWeb which was 5GBP per trade but a one-off sign up of 100GBP. Have read of a few others but would be keen to know what platforms are recommended?

I'm not going to be day trading and likely not invest much more than 5-10K in the first year.

Associate
Hey guys, currently residing in Australia (Still a UK resident, but working over here on a temporary visa) and have been dabbling in the market a little bit with some of my savings to varying degrees of success. I hold a few ETFs and stocks but have been thinking that I would like to get involved with the UK market and put my savings to use. I'm not really clued up on how best to get going back in the UK but am I right in saying I should be trading via a S&S ISA (in the first instance)?

I've looked at the options and they all seem fairly expensive (well, in comparison to Australia). I saw Halifax have a 36GBP (up from 12.50) per year fee from April 2021 to use their S&S services (I bank with Halifax already so thought it may be easier) and I think their per trade cost was around 12GBP. Then I read about iWeb which was 5GBP per trade but a one-off sign up of 100GBP. Have read of a few others but would be keen to know what platforms are recommended?

I'm not going to be day trading and likely not invest much more than 5-10K in the first year.
I finally bit the bullet. Apart from Royal Mail's IPO (£532 profit over a month) I have never bought stocks/shares. At the end of last year I got a Halifax SIPP. Yes, there are fees but the 20% contribution bonus from the government convinced me it was a good deal. From 1 Apr 21 their trade fee goes down to £9.95.

Anyway, the main point of my post is that I've banked with the Halifax for 20 years and can't fault their online system. My SIPP is listed right below my other accounts so it feels like my money is still around and not disappearing to some account manager. I bought Vanguard's FTSE 100 INC index as the yearly fee is 0.06%. Because it's a pension it's all about the long term and only buying yearly. Why sell until I'm at least 55? Stocks are pretty much guaranteed to go up over the long term so just hold a good spread and leave it.

Hope you find what's right for you.

Soldato

S&S ISA with Trading212 has been very straightforward for me. They had some wobbles with the GME nonsense but most platforms did.

Fee free trades, although I guess they're taking an extra spread.

If you're just buying long term then the transaction fees are immaterial really though!

kai

kai

Soldato
i did the exact same thing last week, divided £600 into Loyds, NIO, ADA and XRP just get my feet wet. All of which I'm planning on adding more into it as I see them as long term holds. Closely watching the "blue chip" shares and learning how they rise and dip with the market.

I stuck £500 in this morning for TRX Stock (0.576) - for a more long term hold. But its currently crashing and burning. I think this is stock im going hold for 3-6 months.

Associate
I stuck £500 in this morning for TRX Stock (0.576) - for a more long term hold. But its currently crashing and burning. I think this is stock im going hold for 3-6 months.

Yeah one thing I have learnt, if you like the actual stock and think there is potential long term growth then stick with it. My NIO stock went down a few points this week. Chinese new year always produces dips.

Associate
One thing that struck me earlier today. In a S&S ISA you have £20000 tax free per year, is that only for money you put into the ISA, or does it count possible earnings from your funds/shares?

Associate
Thats the whole point of an ISA. Any gains within the wrapper are non taxable.

If you would still like to contribute to our great nation, then feel free to donate extra to our government.

Just wanted to double check that I understood it right :p And I will do my best to keep mine for myself :p :D I now need as good returns as possible as I'm a bit late into the savings game lol.

Soldato
What's happening with rolls-royce?

There's this bug going round which seems to have stopped all international travel.

Bad news for an engine maker that decided to exit the short haul/narrow body market and only focus on long haul.

They still have other parts of the business which are profitable, defence and nuclear in particular.

Betting big on SMR (Small Modular Reactor) nuclear as the solution to a low carbon future (and I think they're right)

Soldato
There's this bug going round which seems to have stopped all international travel.

Bad news for an engine maker that decided to exit the short haul/narrow body market and only focus on long haul.

They still have other parts of the business which are profitable, defence and nuclear in particular.

Betting big on SMR (Small Modular Reactor) nuclear as the solution to a low carbon future (and I think they're right)
Do we think that plane operators wont renew fleets due to their existing airframes having a year less flight hours?

Soldato
Do we think that plane operators wont renew fleets due to their existing airframes having a year less flight hours?
A year hardly makes a difference on 25+ year contracts. RRs biggest problem is 700s leaving the fleet and XWBs not entering quick enough, and 800s and 900s not on the right air frames.

A350 demand is good though.

Back
Top Bottom