Windows not showing anything on desktop.

Associate
Hi Guys, I did something silly :) and need your help.

I got my new PC up and going and all I had to do was to get the dual display working.

I have Z490 Taichi and EVGA Geforce GTX1070.

I tried all sorts of things and it would only see the one monitor, I had a look on youtube and one guy said
to enable IGPU in the BIOS and I did and then I went to primary graphic monitor and changed it from PCI Express to the onboard.

I saved and exit. It looked as if I was getting somewhere because I seen extend monitors but I wasnt sure waht to do but I ticked something like stop windows from showing this display.

So no matter what I try to do It wont show the icons, I can see in the task bar the display setting box and my Nvidia control panel box but nothing on the desktop.

Nothing shown on the desktop because stupid me ticked that stupid box.

I need you help guys, How can I get things back to what it was.

I can’t get in to do a system restore even.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to add, I connected a different desktop PC to the two monitors and now the monitore are acting the same way as the other disktop was.

Whatever setting i hit by mistake on the other PC its effected the monitors on the other PC. what gives????

right click brings up new decktop but I dont see it changing anything.

I switch monitors, I connected the moniter that was connected to the motherboard (that was the RHS monitor) and is now connected to the 1070 graohic card and I now see what was no my LHS monitor. what ever i clicked on, it only see one monitor and they both were working as duel display.
Some setting is only showing the one monitor.

HELP :)
Ive tried going back into the bios to go back to my original setting and and F2 wont let me in, Ive been getting into the bios all along with F2.. can I reset the bios ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Press Win + I to bring up the Settings window. If it's off-screen, press Win + Shift + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) to move it onto the current screen (you may need to use this sequence more than once) and go from there.

Associate
OP
Press Win + I to bring up the Settings window. If it's off-screen, press Win + Shift + Left Arrow (or Right Arrow) to move it onto the current screen (you may need to use this sequence more than once) and go from there.

OK I will try that thanks but just to say I connected another monitor to the OLD PC and both monitors are working.

so It looks like whatever I did in the settings, (see above) its disabled the monitor that has been working all along...and all this just to get duel display.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

OK I see the settings window.

Why do you think all of a sudden I cant go into the bios with F2 Or maybe can"t see it.

And again i was able to get into bios with the exact same setup and monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
right click on desktop, select view and click on 'show icons' ?

OK Ive got the icons whats happening is I'm seeing No2 monitir instead of No1 monitor in display, windows can't detect the other monitor even when its shows 1 and 2 in display settings,
Im going HDMI out of the MB to my no 2 monitor, the one it cant detect, maybe its wrong or do I need an adaptor from HDMI from MB to DVI on back of the No 2 monitor?

Associate
OP
At the end of the day I only want to set up duel display. And not sure why I can't get into the bios unless its on the other monitor, that I can't see.

Soldato
Not sure why you were in the bios to begin with in order to set up dual screens??
It’s as simple as plugging 2 cables into the gpu outputs, you don’t even need to use the igpu.

right click on the desktop again and click on display settings. Does it show 2 screens numbers 1 & 2? If so click on identify and see what number pops up on the screen that’s showing a display. Click on that number and set it as the primary monitor and see if that displays bios on restart. If not then unplug it and just have the one from the igpu connected. Restart the pc again and see if bios displays. If it does go back in and undo everything you did previously.

Associate
OP
Not sure why you were in the bios to begin with in order to set up dual screens??
It’s as simple as plugging 2 cables into the gpu outputs, you don’t even need to use the igpu.

right click on the desktop again and click on display settings. Does it show 2 screens numbers 1 & 2? If so click on identify and see what number pops up on the screen that’s showing a display. Click on that number and set it as the primary monitor and see if that displays bios on restart. If not then unplug it and just have the one from the igpu connected. Restart the pc again and see if bios displays. If it does go back in and undo everything you did previously.

Yes, your right, I never had to go into bios before to set up duel display, I was going by the YouTube video. Sorry now,

Right I will try that again, it seemed to disable my LHS monitor, what ever I did, another thing I see in my panic was ..new deckop...I did this too what ever it did and maybe thats making things worse.

I think I did the setting with in Windows settings, not the graphic card settings, but I'm so mixed up now :)

Thanks I'll try that

Associate
OP
Just to add my last PC was set up for quick sync and this new one has to be the same, so I need one monitor connected to MB and other to graphic card, that's what work before and as I said above according to the YouTube guy I had to enable the settings in the bios.

I'll try your advice when I get the chance, thanks again.

Associate
OP
OK Ive an HDMI from MB into LHS Monitor and I see the desktop and I have a DVI into 1070 Graphic card and I see that RHS desktop.

The RHS monitor shorws the icons and when I right click and get desplay settings 1 and 2 is in the correct order and identify shows 1 and 2 on the correct screen,
1 being LHS and 2 being RHS and the mouse arrow goes from left monitor to right right monitor.
Detect says ...Dont detect another display

When I right click and bring up the Nvidia Control Panel i only see one monitor and then down to set up multiple displays it only shows one monitor with the number 1 on it.
and at the top of Nvidia Control Panel where it says Display and then indintfy displays a big 1 shows on the two monitors

Unless a driver missing or what I did in the BIOS, see first post...im stuck now :)

advise again please:) thanks.

Soldato
in the windows settings have you selected 'duplicate these screens' or 'extend' - what is it you are trying to achieve with the dual screen set up? 2 screens showing seperate things or 2 showing the same?

Associate
OP
Yes in display settings when i scroll down it does say that extend these displays but I would have thought the Nvidia Control Panel would see two monitors
thanks

The icons are all over in the RHS monitor not on the LHS monitor

Yet the monitors deplay the correct 1 and 2

Associate
OP
OK getting there now, I just need to know if someone knows if I have to enable quicksync in the Asrock BIOS? If so what do I look for?

Thanks so far.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A windows update sorted the duel display, the graphic card just needed updated. Simple and all that time spent trying to get it sorted.

Thanks all anyway.

Back
Top Bottom