• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Associate
Vega 64's going for over £500 on the bay. So glad i got mu new card and got a decent price for my Vega 64(though not £500). I can just sit back and smile at this stupidity now!!
If it's the most recent Sapphire Vega 64 sale then that was mine. Certainly shocked me to see where it ended up! I was offered £350 as soon as the auction went live last Sunday which I would have taken but because someone bid straight away it took away the option to submit a best offer.

It was up to £300 by the time I woke up the next day so thought I might get lucky and hit the £400 that I paid OCUK in 2019 when I bought it new.

I know going from it to a MSI 3060Ti Gaming X Trio - again from OCUK a couple of weeks ago when they were listed under a different category - isn't as big an increase as some may have gone for but for it to have cost me less than £100 to get a new GPU that performs better and comes with a warranty then I am very pleased with the result. That's probably about half what it would have cost me under normal market conditions (£200-250 back for the Vega and £400-450 for the 3060Ti AIB cards).

Soldato
What do you mean?

Significant risk of paypal charge back for up to 6 months, proof of delivery isn't enough if the buyer claims it was faulty, or not as described which they can do any time.
Sellers win the case on the auction site and Paypal still refund as Paypal buyer protection is totally different.
Paypal doesn't guarantee you as the seller will get the item back, you can pay return shipping and they can send you a brick or in other cases a 10 year old GPU.

I won't sell anything of value at auction unless it is cash on collection... and that tends to limit the selling price anyway.

Permabanned
Significant risk of paypal charge back for up to 6 months, proof of delivery isn't enough if the buyer claims it was faulty, or not as described which they can do any time.
Sellers win the case on the auction site and Paypal still refund as Paypal buyer protection is totally different.
Paypal doesn't guarantee you as the seller will get the item back, you can pay return shipping and they can send you a brick or in other cases a 10 year old GPU.

I won't sell anything of value at auction unless it is cash on collection... and that tends to limit the selling price anyway.

Fair enough. I always mention no returns accepted in my ads hence don't think that will be an issue.

Also receipt will be provided where they can take it up with the shop for any faults or issues for returns.

Soldato
"No returns accepted" is about the most meaningless line ever put on an eBay advert. It counts for nothing the moment the buyer logs a dispute.

Soldato
Fair enough. I always mention no returns accepted in my ads hence don't think that will be an issue.

Also receipt will be provided where they can take it up with the shop for any faults or issues for returns.

Be aware, that all counts for nothing, the buyer has 6 months to log a dispute, even if there's nothing wrong with it they can say it's faulty and PayPal/eBay will side with them 100% of the time and you will even have to pay for the return shipping, they can then re-buy somewhere cheaper.

I no longer sell on eBay for exactly this reason. I've even had a card come back to me with different serial and eBay wouldn't accept the photos as proof of anything, police didn't even want to know, was told I would have to sue the person via small claims.

Soldato
It's an option in the listing.

Yup. But all the buyer has to do is log an "Item not as described" dispute and come up with something mundane like "There's a small scratch on the GPU backplate" and the "No returns" policy goes out the window.

I never use the option, as if the buyer changes their mind I'd sooner them just say. Most will still log it as a NAD as it gets them out of paying return postage. But you just got to hope you get someone honest (as is basically always the case with eBay)...

Soldato
Option might be there but if they raise dispute over claims of item being faulty or mis sold etc it wouldn't matter as consumer rights then kick in if I am not mistaken.

Yes but I had a guy admit the camera I sold him was too complicated.

I could have refused a return but didn’t.

I agree there aren’t many times a buyer could get on the right side of a dispute.

Associate
I honestly think people are being crazy selling GPU's on eBay for way more than they are normally worth. Huge risk to the seller. I wouldn't even sell a GPU on eBay at normal prices. Anyone selling now better pray that the crypto bubble doesn't burst within the next 6 months! You are taking advantage of peoples desperaton / greed by selling at inflated prices today and some unscrupulous buyers won't feel an ounce of guilt in getting their own back on the person who (in their minds) took advantage of them.

Buyers know the score with the eBay return policy. Some buyers will buy these overpriced GPU's, mine or game using them for 5 months then start a dispute stating that the card is faulty. Automatically eBay will side with the buyer and the seller will have to arrange return postage at their own expense. Your probably talking £30 return postage if you fully insure the GPU.

Then you better pray that you get a working GPU back and not a literal brick in a box. If you don't get the original gpu back good luck proving it.

There will be a few threads on here talking about how ebay buyers ripped them off in 6 months time I bet.

Associate
I honestly think people are being crazy selling GPU's on eBay for way more than they are normally worth. Huge risk to the seller. I wouldn't even sell a GPU on eBay at normal prices. Anyone selling now better pray that the crypto bubble doesn't burst within the next 6 months! You are taking advantage of peoples desperaton / greed by selling at inflated prices today and some unscrupulous buyers won't feel an ounce of guilt in getting their own back on the person who (in their minds) took advantage of them.

Buyers know the score with the eBay return policy. Some buyers will buy these overpriced GPU's, mine or game using them for 5 months then start a dispute stating that the card is faulty. Automatically eBay will side with the buyer and the seller will have to arrange return postage at their own expense. Your probably talking £30 return postage if you fully insure the GPU.

Then you better pray that you get a working GPU back and not a literal brick in a box. If you don't get the original gpu back good luck proving it.

There will be a few threads on here talking about how ebay buyers ripped them off in 6 months time I bet.

I don't think you can dispute on eBay after like 28 days. The demand for over priced card is purely driven by Mining at the moment, most of the buyers are miners, have a look at 5700XT for example, those cards are going around 700GBP right now, why would anyone pay that kind of price for the card, even an over priced 3070 would perform better.

Soldato
I bought a clock that showed only hours and minutes. I wanted to upgrade it and have a pointer that indicates sixtieths of a minute.
The price was astronomical!!!

Associate
I don't think you can dispute on eBay after like 28 days. The demand for over priced card is purely driven by Mining at the moment, most of the buyers are miners, have a look at 5700XT for example, those cards are going around 700GBP right now, why would anyone pay that kind of price for the card, even an over priced 3070 would perform better.

It's 6 months with Paypal.

Miners are the worst possible buyers. They are in it purely for the money. If the bubble bursts before the 6 months are up and they are looking at any sort of loss (or even if they aren't) they are going to want to recoup as much money as possible. Starting a paypal dispute will be the first port of call for many of them.

Soldato
Fortunately, eBay are in the process of dumping PayPal. Many sellers have already been invited on to the new payment system, and once on it PayPal will no longer process their card payments and they no longer have to accept PayPal as a payment method.

Soldato
It's 6 months with Paypal.

Miners are the worst possible buyers. They are in it purely for the money. If the bubble bursts before the 6 months are up and they are looking at any sort of loss (or even if they aren't) they are going to want to recoup as much money as possible. Starting a paypal dispute will be the first port of call for many of them.
Paypal will side with them too. I had it once with a RAM kit I sold on Ebay. All went fine (or so I thought) and about three months had gone by, only for Paypal to suddenly email me saying that the buyer had claimed the purchase with unauthorised and so they'd taken the money back (and put my account into the red in the process). Didn't matter how ridiculous the claim was and that I could prove the item was delivered to the address on the buyer's account (since I'd kept the proof of postage) - Paypal sided with them in the dispute and refunded them anyway. Without them needing to return the item, I should add.

Associate
Fortunately, eBay are in the process of dumping PayPal. Many sellers have already been invited on to the new payment system, and once on it PayPal will no longer process their card payments and they no longer have to accept PayPal as a payment method.

Buyers can still use Paypal through the managed Payments system so it isn't going to make much difference to people looking to take advantage of Paypals 6 month buyer protection policy.

Soldato
Buyers can still use Paypal through the managed Payments system so it isn't going to make much difference to people looking to take advantage of Paypals 6 month buyer protection policy.

Sellers don't have to offer PayPal though going forward. Items can be credit/debit card only, with payment being processed by eBay.

Back
Top Bottom