• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4A Games update Metro Exodus, new engine, Ray Tracing GPU now required

Soldato
Metro Exodus is getting updated

it's a huge update - a new game engine that supports 15 new graphics effects including new and improved ray tracing as well as support for DLSS v2

Interestingly enough, this update makes the game require a RTX2000 or AMD RX6000 GPU as the minimum spec - that's right, you must have a hardware accelerated ray tracing GPU that supports DirectX 12 Ultimate

to my knowledge this is the first game that says you need hardware ray tracing acceleration to run it - there is no ray tracing off/rasterization fall back option. For those who don't meet the minimum spec, you won't be able to run the update

Full list of new features included in the update

NextGen-PCEnhanced-Asset_4AV3.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/lkffzs/the_metro_exodus_pc_enhanced_edition_announced/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And free for existing owners from what I can tell.

That’s actually something to look forward to. :D

yes, it's free for all PC owners :) I'm surprised, they could have easily charged $10 for this and it would be worth it. There is a rumour they are also working on adding free multiplayer mode into the game

Associate
But if you don't have a RT card you won't need the update anyway. It is different from launching a game that only works if you have RT hardware.

Soldato
OP
Surely only a sucker would pay for the same game again just for a few graphical tweaks.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that upgrading the game to a newer engine with DX12 Ultimate support, adding 4k textures and a long list of new rayvtracing features costs $0 for the developer, I'm sure they already did all this work before the game launched and just kept it hidden away.

I'm not saying they should charge for it, I'm just saying they could have - many other developers have charged for enhanced editions of their game and this game's enhanced version is well above the new features that most enhanced games get

Soldato
I'm sorry, I didn't know that upgrading the game to a newer engine with DX12 Ultimate support, adding 4k textures and a long list of new rayvtracing features costs $0 for the developer, I'm sure they already did all this work before the game launched and just kept it hidden away.

I'm not saying they should charge for it, I'm just saying they could have - many other developers have charged for enhanced editions of their game and this game's enhanced version is well above the new features that most enhanced games get
This was a choice they took, no one forced them to invest the time to do this. They’re probably doing it as a stepping stone to test out a new engine for their next game.

Soldato
OP
This was a choice they took, no one forced them to invest the time to do this. They’re probably doing it as a stepping stone to test out a new engine for their next game.

probably, the engine is very compute heavy - in a Q&A session they got asked if they considered adding Mesh Shaders into the game since the new engine uses DX12 Ultimate to which they replied they have tested it and it added very little performance improvement because 90% of the frame is compute heavy

Soldato
Interesting. I've been playing through the game again over the past couple of weeks and have been switching from 4K with no RT to 1440 with RT every few hours of gameplay and I noticed the difference for the first time tonight. I was in a canyon with the sun high in the sky to the left. I switched from RT on back to 4K no RT and the canyon was dull and completely in the shade, switched back to RT and it was illuminated where the sun-rays where hitting I guess. I'd really struggled to see the benefits up to this point but I was impressed tonight.

Soldato
probably, the engine is very compute heavy - in a Q&A session they got asked if they considered adding Mesh Shaders into the game since the new engine uses DX12 Ultimate to which they replied they have tested it and it added very little performance improvement because 90% of the frame is compute heavy
Don’t happen to have link to this do you?

Associate
Interesting. I've been playing through the game again over the past couple of weeks and have been switching from 4K with no RT to 1440 with RT every few hours of gameplay and I noticed the difference for the first time tonight. I was in a canyon with the sun high in the sky to the left. I switched from RT on back to 4K no RT and the canyon was dull and completely in the shade, switched back to RT and it was illuminated where the sun-rays where hitting I guess. I'd really struggled to see the benefits up to this point but I was impressed tonight.
:D

Soldato
OP
Don’t happen to have link to this do you?

Quite a few interesting insights in the Q&A https://wccftech.com/4a-games-tech-...ue-for-rt-but-amds-approach-is-more-flexible/

Some quotes:

What I can say for sure now is PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X currently run our code at about the same performance and resolution.
As for the RTX 3000-series, they are not comparable, they are in different leagues in regards to RT performance. AMD’s hybrid raytracing approach is inherently different in capability, particularly for divergent rays. On the plus side, it is more flexible

Currently, we use DXR 1.1 inline raytracing and VRS. I like sampler-feedback - I’ve asked hardware
vendors about this for years and it will be utilized for our future projects. Not sure if we’d go for
mesh shaders in the future as we are not that dependent on traditional vertex/primitive/raster
processing anymore on recent architectures. Our current frames are only about 10% raster and
90% compute.

Soldato
Nice!

I played through this a while back when I got the Xbox game pass with my Ryzen 3600x, really enjoyed it and picked up the Gold Edition for ~£8 a couple of months ago to play the DLC. Was looking forward to playing through again, so this is a very nice added bonus :D

Back
Top Bottom