Upgrade advice

Associate
I have been out of pc world for many years and realized my current pc is 11 years old - I have upgraded to SSD and a graphics but everything else remains the same.

Time for an upgrade but I'm rusty.

I'm thinking:
Intel Core i7 10700 10th Gen Comet Lake 8 Core Processor
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM

I'm not going to be overclocking, I'm not fussed about RGB in my pc at all, so I'm flexible on RAM and mobo.

I do game and also music production.

Suggestions?
What cooler do i need for an i7 - when last I did this liquid cooling was a proper old faff and I didn't trust it.

I look forward to hearing from you
Tom

Soldato
What case do you have as that will restrict the size of the cooler/fitting of radiators??

The rest is fine although the 11th gen is out soon so probably best to wait for that to drop first.

Associate
OP
What case do you have as that will restrict the size of the cooler/fitting of radiators??

The rest is fine although the 11th gen is out soon so probably best to wait for that to drop first.
My case is Corsair carbide air, so plenty of room

I also have

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
currently- will this work?

Associate
I have been out of pc world for many years and realized my current pc is 11 years old - I have upgraded to SSD and a graphics but everything else remains the same.

Time for an upgrade but I'm rusty.

I'm thinking:
Intel Core i7 10700 10th Gen Comet Lake 8 Core Processor
MSI MPG Z490 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM

I'm not going to be overclocking, I'm not fussed about RGB in my pc at all, so I'm flexible on RAM and mobo.

I do game and also music production.

Suggestions?
What cooler do i need for an i7 - when last I did this liquid cooling was a proper old faff and I didn't trust it.

I look forward to hearing from you
Tom

If you wait until March, Rocket Lake is coming, then you can see if there is an IPC gain with the 10700K equivalent. Also Z590 motherboards are incoming with PCIE-4 bus. If you have had a PC for 11 years, two weeks wait will not really be an issue.

Then you can decide whether to stick with 10 series or use the latest chipset and CPU architecture from Intel.

Rocket Lake incoming!

Associate
OP
If you wait until March, Rocket Lake is coming, then you can see if there is an IPC gain with the 10700K equivalent. Also Z590 motherboards are incoming with PCIE-4 bus. If you have had a PC for 11 years, two weeks wait will not really be an issue.

Then you can decide whether to stick with 10 series or use the latest chipset and CPU architecture from Intel.

Rocket Lake incoming!
That’s interesting and useful, thanks.

Soldato
Associate
your in the same situation as me collecting up the extras parts I need and waiting for Rocket lake

the 5 series motherboards look to be hitting next week and I think the Cpu release date is the 15th of march but only read that on one source

Associate
OP
further advice on the same topic but different:

I have on old version of windows 10 licensed from my work which is no longer valid. So I want to get myself an new copy and probably do a clean install on my new hardware. This will be on my existing SSD. Will a new version conflict with my HDD drives which I use for storage files and some program installations?

Soldato
Not in general but you will have to redirect windows to find the files and programs you need.
Some programs may need to be reinstalled because its windows.

Back
Top Bottom