• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I emailed ASUS to ask them why there are so few 3080's arriving in UK stores, and I got this reply TDLR it's Brexit to blame.

Thank you for reaching out and for your patients as we try and get you accurate feedback to the situation.

We know the demands for these new 30 series graphics cards is far outstripping supply and can cause frustration, but we are trying our hardest to ensure you get the graphics cards into your hands as quick as possible. We are seeing UK shipments face delays in 2021 with brexit issues, but these are now being resolved.

ASUS, TUF and ROG 30 Series GeForce RTX graphics cards are constantly in production and are being shipped as soon as they physically can be. We apologise that this is a frustrating time but please make sure you check your order status as frequently as you can and look for any direct communication with OCUK.

Again, we appreciate your patience and hope that this gives some form of clarity to the situation.

Know what I just noticed the geezer mentions OCUK, which is pretty funny as I never mentioned them in my email, lol, the fella's in the wrong job he should be doing a mind reading act ha ha.
Yeah, reading between the lines there, they’re trying to blame “Brexit” because then there’s no-one directly responsible and they don’t have to throw their partners under the bus.

With Brexit as the cause, it’s suddenly not the responsibility of:
  • NVidia for not producing enough GPUs
  • Chinese manufacturers for not being able to scale up supply
  • Component manufacturers for not being able to meet demand
  • Shipping companies who are swamped with all shipping delays
  • ASUS themselves

Associate
Sorry , but I'd pay £750 for an RTX 3080, rather than pay £1,900 for a 3090, when a 3090 only has 5-8% better performance in games, and that's at 4k otherwise the performance is the same. It is actually the worst card to get out of the 3070, 3080 and 3090.

MSI RTX 3080 comes over clocked as well and you can also run an overclock on 3080s as well.

Performance
What I noticed was RTX gaming at 4k looked just as good compared to 1080p gaming.

Anyone waiting for these cards is not missing out on anything. Gaming at 4k still needs improvement and 1080p is what looks good.

I paid £1500 for my 3090 and some 3080's are creeping up to and above £1000 so for me the difference in price isn't huge. I'm also taking advantage of the extra memory with 8k textures and other mods in flight sim 2020 with a 4k resolution. So for me four months after purchase it's worth the price I paid. But I agree somewhat with you. Double the price for the little extra performance is a questionable purchase.

Associate
I'm also taking advantage of the extra memory with 8k textures and other mods in flight sim 2020 with a 4k resolution.

Mind if I ask what mods you're running on MSFS? My 1080Ti has really been struggling and am really keen to play it (when my 3080 arrives, one day) without Minecraft scenery

Associate
Yeah, reading between the lines there, they’re trying to blame “Brexit” because then there’s no-one directly responsible and they don’t have to throw their partners under the bus.
Or maybe Brexit actually is contributing. If they warehouse/hub-distribute their products in an EU location, then even if the products themselves aren't subject to additional duties, they would still be subject to the same haulage delays as everything else, nevermind the sudden additional paperwork burden.
You might counter that they should've foreseen all this and moved to a direct-to-UK shipping model well in advance of all this, but as with everything else this government has done, the final settlements were sorted out (or still haven't been) at the very last minute.
Not everything is a conspiracy. The world is strung together with duct tape and rubber bands. Dumb **** like this breaks those fragile systems and has real effects.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff

With Brexit as the cause, it’s suddenly not the responsibility of:
  • NVidia for not producing enough GPUs
  • Chinese manufacturers for not being able to scale up supply
  • Component manufacturers for not being able to meet demand
  • Shipping companies who are swamped with all shipping delays
  • ASUS themselves
In their defence, Asus have been suffering with major delays at the UK ports for all deliveries coming from their Netherlands stock hub. I mentioned earlier in this thread that their first three deliveries of the year were held up for weeks and as such they'd had to put all subsequent shipments on hold until the issue could be resolved. We've only just started to receive stock from these delayed deliveries in the last ten days. So yes, Brexit is a contributing factor.

Soldato
I emailed ASUS to ask them why there are so few 3080's arriving in UK stores, and I got this reply TDLR it's Brexit to blame.

Yea I've heard it all before a dozen and more times now, I'm utterly sick of the lot of them, they need to stop giving us reasons why they are failing and just stop failing. Gamers are an impatient and demanding bunch at the best of times, so at the worst times ...well you can imagine. I'm just sick of it, all I want is to buy a damn GPU and to do it for the price it is supposed to be, I don't want to jump through hoops or sign up for anything or sit there hitting F5 like I have nothing else to do, I don't want to be in competition with everyone else for it, I have the money I just want the damn card. I would break these companies if I could for this, I would break the whole lot of them and throw them into the sea (sorry dolphins) to show them how their miserable failure is to be rewarded, Nvidia, AMD and their board partners. The fact a little pandemic and a bit of extra demand and a few supply chain ripples can cause this much of an issue worries me, it's not like their shipments are being hunted by U Boats and their factories are being bombed day and night ...those are not problems they have, just make more GPU's more quickly and do it yesterday.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Yea I've heard it all before a dozen and more times now, I'm utterly sick of the lot of them, they need to stop giving us reasons why they are failing and just stop failing. Gamers are an impatient and demanding bunch at the best of times, so at the worst times ...well you can imagine. I'm just sick of it, all I want is to buy a damn GPU and to do it for the price it is supposed to be, I don't want to jump through hoops or sign up for anything or sit there hitting F5 like I have nothing else to do, I don't want to be in competition with everyone else for it, I have the money I just want the damn card. I would break these companies if I could for this, I would break the whole lot of them and throw them into the sea (sorry dolphins) to show them how their miserable failure is to be rewarded, Nvidia, AMD and their board partners. The fact a little pandemic and a bit of extra demand and a few supply chain ripples can cause this much of an issue worries me, it's not like their shipments are being hunted by U Boats and their factories are being bombed day and night ...those are not problems they have, just make more GPU's more quickly and do it yesterday.

I'm in stitches after reading this and then seeing the quote in your signature :D:p

Associate

And there are 10s of thousands of other shops all over the world all vying for these cards. Factories can only produce so many cards per day and are probably doing their best to distribute them fairly between all these shops. OCUK may have 10,000 units on order but Newegg may have 1,000,000 on order. Do you think that they should fully supply OCUK with all their order and leave Newegg on the sideline until that has been fulfilled? Shops in Germany, France, Japan, Mexico, South Africa and all over the world are all just waiting as we have to do.

Whatever industry you work in, I'm sure there are limints on how much can be done every day by that comapany. What if your customers demanded that you supply 100 times what you could physically do every day and then started moaning about it because you couldn't do it immediately. They can't just hire more staff, there are fabrication limits etc and I'm pretty sure they would have been working 24/7 to produce and ship as many units as physically possible. You really need a reality check.

Permabanned
And there are 10s of thousands of other shops all over the world all vying for these cards. Factories can only produce so many cards per day and are probably doing their best to distribute them fairly between all these shops. OCUK may have 10,000 units on order but Newegg may have 1,000,000 on order. Do you think that they should fully supply OCUK with all their order and leave Newegg on the sideline until that has been fulfilled? Shops in Germany, France, Japan, Mexico, South Africa and all over the world are all just waiting as we have to do.

Whatever industry you work in, I'm sure there are limints on how much can be done every day by that comapany. What if your customers demanded that you supply 100 times what you could physically do every day and then started moaning about it because you couldn't do it immediately. They can't just hire more staff, there are fabrication limits etc and I'm pretty sure they would have been working 24/7 to produce and ship as many units as physically possible. You really need a reality check.

It's then comes down to things like who is their most profitable distributor. It's hard to blame a specific entity, but I'm sure they all share part of the blame. Then you have your Goliath, monopolising company Nvidia. They are literally making billions of dollars in profits on these over priced products and still people are paying more. Just wait and see how Nvidia screws us on 4 Series cards.

But if I had a PC shop, I would not do pre-orders on these cards, I would list them on the website as per availability. Restrict it to one customer per order on the site.

Associate
And she's back again. Just got my Gaming OC back from Overclockers and she's working fine again.

Sorry for wasting your time with that RMA, as I have no clue what caused the system to not POST. But seems I'm in the all clear again.

Associate
There's a good possibility they are lying about it anyway, if it was as easy as just going to another site and buying a card everyone would be doing it.

Haven't come to gloat but he's probably not, however juvenile his comment. I've managed to get 2 3080's and a 3070 without really trying.1 was from a forum user that was kind enough to sell one of two he'd ordered and sell at the price he got it for. The other was for a friend that was after one, as was the 3070. I work full time and have small kids so my time is spent, but it wasn't incredibly difficult to get one. I had more trouble getting my PS5.

Good luck to everyone still on the hunt, but as someone that was sub 1000 in the TUF queue here, if you put a bit of effort in I'm sure you would have better luck elsewhere.

Soldato

Tbf companies like Apple seem to manage ok especially considering more people buy phones than high end Gpus.

My wife recently ordered the new 12 pro max. had a choice of spec and colour, paid msrp and arrived a coulple of days later. No need for bot alerts or spamming F5.

These companies have had 5 months to sort out GPU supply issues and yet some people who ordered 1 hour after release are still waiting for their cards, it's a disgrace really.

Last edited:
Associate

All that is true, but all those stores existed in the past and it's never caused a shortage like this. You could maybe see there being a bit of a struggle when a hot new items comes out, but this is 5 month later, and it's getting worse, far far worse not better. This is unprecedented, shortages on this scale for this prolonged period of time have never happened before. Nvidia are a massive and are used to, or should be used to, covering the demand for their product they have always managed to supply those 10,000 stores around the world in the past so why not now? And you could argue it's hard to get a card because bots are snapping them up, but OCUK have had next to no supplies of 3080's come in stock now for months, it's not like they are only getting half or a quarter of what they ordered they are getting nothing, there has to be a reason for that, don't you think?

Associate
Thanks for this, good to know they took the time to reply.
Yeah I thought it was good of them to reply and pretty quickly too, I even emailed the guy back and asked how he knew I was talking about OCUK, and he said something like he had just been reading something about them just before he emailed me, so make of that what you will, lol.

Associate
All that is true, but all those stores existed in the past and it's never caused a shortage like this. You could maybe see there being a bit of a struggle when a hot new items comes out, but this is 5 month later, and it's getting worse, far far worse not better. This is unprecedented, shortages on this scale for this prolonged period of time have never happened before. Nvidia are a massive and are used to, or should be used to, covering the demand for their product they have always managed to supply those 10,000 stores around the world in the past so why not now? And you could argue it's hard to get a card because bots are snapping them up, but OCUK have had next to no supplies of 3080's come in stock now for months, it's not like they are only getting half or a quarter of what they ordered they are getting nothing, there has to be a reason for that, don't you think?

I mean, is a like-for-like now vs then comparison not a bit of an oversimplification? There's a lot of stuff happening now that is unique to now and probably increasing manufacturing or procurement delays. Off the top of my head:
1. global pandemic
2. eth values skyrocketing
3. Console launches.
4. TSMC's chip fab capacity basically being usurped by the new Apple M1 chips.

And then all that being exacerbated by bot reselling.

There are probably genuine failures and oversights on the manufacturers behalves. Also maybe some are underhandedly selling to miners or whatever. But there's a lot of stuff happening right now that isn't intrinsically evil or easy to plan for.

Back
Top Bottom