ROG Zephyrus G15 - GA503QS

Associate
I don't like the look of the strix its looks very gimmicky/ disco (Personal opinion and I know some will like it) and has a bigger footprint.

The other laptops from what I can see use old intel chips or don't have 1440p which puts me off. I would have like to see what the Legion 5/7 would be like but with a release date of June 2021, I just cant wait that long.

I feel the same when it comes to the looks of the Strix; I'd prefer having a laptop that doesn't look like it's been designed by a teenager, thankyouverymuch!

I'm going to lament the loss of the 17.3" screen on my current machine a bit at first, but I'm hoping that the increased resolution of the very tasty looking 1440P screen is more than going to make up for that.

Associate
OP
I feel the same when it comes to the looks of the Strix; I'd prefer having a laptop that doesn't look like it's been designed by a teenager, thankyouverymuch!

I'm going to lament the loss of the 17.3" screen on my current machine a bit at first, but I'm hoping that the increased resolution of the very tasty looking 1440P screen is more than going to make up for that.

1440p on a laptop will certainly make up for it, though always connect to a larger monitor or tv when your at home to make up for it.

The Asus G15 RTX3080 version was suppose to be in stock today but has been pushed back to 12th Feb which was a shame :(

Soldato
I ended up ordering from the States which worked out even cheaper considering the strong pound at the moment - worked out around £1625 inclusive of expedited shipping and any import taxes! Can't wait.
Spec below:
ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR 15.6" QHD 165Hz, 3.0 GHz AMD Ryzen 9 5900HS, RTX 3070 Max-Q, 24 GB 3200MHz RAM, 1 TB PCIe SSD

Associate
I ended up ordering from the States which worked out even cheaper considering the strong pound at the moment - worked out around £1625 inclusive of expedited shipping and any import taxes! Can't wait.
Spec below:

I have done this previously and had a nightmare with international warranty issues. Have you had to RMA an internationally bought laptop before? Do Asus deal with this type of thing well?

Associate
OP
Spec below:

Not a bad deal as long as your covered if anything goes wrong, otherwise could end up costing more sending it back and forth. When are you due to get it?

I am still waiting for an update on my order from OCUK. They have now updated the G15 (RTX 3080) as Out of stock, so I am not sure if that means they got them in stock but shipped them all out for pre-orders or if the amount they are getting in have all been pre-ordered and therefore they are not allowing anymore pre-orders.

Soldato
I'm ordering to the middle east and the latest laptops they have here are still the 4000 series ryzen. God knows how long it will take to get the 5000 series and I need a laptop fairly urgently meaning I have little choice. The amount I'm spending would have barely got me a G14 from last year here.

Already asked OcUK and unfortunately they can't deliver one to me else it would have been perfect.

I have no experience with international rma's and hope I never have to. It comes with a year's warranty from the place I bought it from so worse case scenario I will have to pay postage fees.

Should arrive latest 9th March!

Soldato
So my initial thoughts and psuedo-review on this beast.

First a bit of context - I am not a massive gamer these days (I do have the obligatory Steam library with a few hundred unplayed games etc) and my last gaming device was my 4790k / GTX980 system from around 2014/2015. This is my first venture into gaming laptops so have nothing to compare it to from this range. My previous laptop was a Huawei Matebook X Pro (i7, 16gb, 512ssd) and I have had Dell XPS 15's in the past and MacBook Pro's as well

Ok, the G15.

My device is the infamous BestBuy unit with RGB in Gray.
It is the R9 5900HS / RTX 3070 / 24GB / 1TB variant.
Model GA503QR

Design
First things first, mine is the grey variant with the single zone RGB keyboard.
I love the lid personally, I think its a nice balance between professional and gamery. The half panel funky colour thingy works well and is understated enough I don't mind taking it into work. I have had a few comments of it looking smart and when they see the inside I get the whole 'oooh fancy keyboard'. My only gripe about the top panel is the ability to fill the holes with random dirt :(

Inside its robustly built, other reviewers have complained about build quality, glue issues on screen, creaks here and there.
Fortunately mine has no such issue. I am a fan of the ergo lift hinge as I think it suits the laptop nicely

The speaker design is strange for me, the recesses for the sound to come out are fairly small and I know I am going to drop something in there that I need to fish out! Speaking of speakers, this is my only complaint about the laptop. Sadly mine suffers from the popping issue reported on some. It's a non issue really as I have headphones I use but is annoying and I hope that a software update fixes this.

Port selection is decent and I haven't needed to grab my bag to find an adapter or anything since I have had it.

Screen / Keyboard / Trackpad
The screen is absolutely gorgeous. The best laptop display I have used bar none! It is colour accurate, the software allows loads of tweaks, can be OC'd to 3ms and is native 165hz. Its an absolute gem. My only minor gripe here is brightness as I basically live in the sun out here. I wish it was a little brighter in the day but sitting here this evening even on 50% it looks fab.

The keyboard takes some getting used to but again is perfectly balanced. Nice travel and not too spongey as these laptop keyboards can be. Its not too clacky like the boards on MacBooks and I prefer it to the Huawei I am coming from. RGB is nice although the pedant in me would like per key control.

The trackpad is nice and responsive. I use it rarely as I have my MX Master 3 hooked up but its large and easy to use whenever I have needed it.

Performance and Battery life
The performance on this thing is insane. To be honest I have been using it my work profile where the CPU and GPU are limited and it burns through anything and everything I need.
Its completely overkill for my use case as I do basic programming, have about 100 chrome tabs open at anyone time and do a lot of spreadsheet work.
Nevertheless when at work it absolutely wants for nothing. It has never slowed, given me a BSOD or any performance related concerns at any time. All the while sitting comfortably around 30-40c in silence with no fans spinning.
Remarkable.

The battery life on this thing with a few tweaks is north of 8hrs.
Ive done a full day of moderate usage (8hrs) and left with circa 20%. It's genuinely unbelievable and if I pushed it could probably see 10hrs which is insane.
My screen brightness is around 50%, sound is off and profile set to silent. Anything that can affect battery has been limited. (iGPU on, panel set to 60hz and 3ms switched off)

The only game I have run as of now (and that was to appease the geeks at work) is GTAV and it was awesome. Average FPS on max settings was around 110 and temps never exceeded 70c.
This was with the power brick plugged in. I am yet to try USB C PD but as it charges in an hour with the brick I don't see why its needed.
Maybe in emergencies.

Final thoughts
I love the laptop. It does everything I need it to without any compromise. I think I have been very fortunate not to get one with the various issues widely reported. (other than the speaker popping)
I haven't touched the boundaries of what this laptop is capable of but look forward to exploring that over the next few weeks / months.
I will take some pics and post some performance scores when I have the chance to run them.
If anyone has any specific questions let me know and I can try my best to answer them.
If you're on the fence and your use case is similar to mine, just buy it.
You won't be disappointed.

PICS
Lid (Yes I've scratched it already, yes theres holes with dirt already, yes I need a skin)
QzWWNpA.jpg

Right Hand Side ports and vents
zdnXzAJ.jpg

Left Hand Side ports and vents
Ry7zqzX.jpg

Screen 100% Brightness (under office lighting)
NVrv34s.jpg

Screen lowest Brightness (under office lighting)
Haao5xp.jpg

Keyboard lowest brightness
LAHK229.jpg

Keyboard max brightness
JhjKmX0.jpg

Vents to screen (MX Master 3 for reference)
UXBt1EQ.jpg

Rear vents (MX Master 3 for reference)
Q2tXPf3.jpg

Associate
OP
Nice review Skaif!

I have had my G15 (R9 5900HS / RTX 3080 / 32GB / 1TB/ White variant) for a couple of weeks now but upgraded it with another 4 TB NVME so got 5TB altogether.

I have to say it is amazing! No issues what so ever my end, the speakers sound amazing (No popping on mine) and the display is stunning! Temps have been good across the board, even after a few hours of playing.

Other than no Thunderbolt and HDMI 2.1, which personally I don't see what all the fuss is about, it has got to be one of the best laptops out there for multiuse, both professionally and gaming.

Back
Top Bottom