• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

0.5 - 6% of Ryzen 5000 Processors Faulty

Associate
That comment is nonsense. Mind factory like all retailers, the first year of any defect is with retailer. You deal with the retailer. After first year some manufacturer will be dealing with the returns. I believe even with AMD places like OCUK will act on your behave. The only time you really need to deal with AMD directly is if you bought CPU second hand or off auction sites provided they are genuine CPU.

almost all of the large retailers in this country provide full RMA services for you so you don’t have to deal with the likes of AMD for at least 1 year if not the full duration of the warranty period.

the 15day is just a period of grace for distance selling in case you changed your mind. That’s mandated by the consumer rights in this country and in EU to tackle the rise of e-commerce dating all the way back to early 2000s.

the bloke wrote that comment knows nothing, worthless opinion.
Yes, the distance selling part is 14 days:
https://www.mindfactory.de/info_center.php/icID/48
Fall spätestens binnen vierzehn Tagen ab dem Tag
In their terms on the other hand, they mention 2 years warranty for consumers:
https://www.mindfactory.de/info_center.php/icID/59
Not hard to find, and even Google Translate copes surprisingly well with the legalise in their terms. (Actually, I think Google Translate coped better with the legal German than it does with far simpler stuff which I find strange.)

Associate
Your CPU was Fine actually.
You just had a Failed 5950x with Dual CCD and one disabled. There is a new version of Ryzen master out to day which solves this Ryzen Master. I had the very same isssue with my 5600x I could see the cores or the speed in RM. Now I can.
Google Dual CCD ryzen 5000

I did wonder about that but then it didn't explain the constant BSODs and reboots at default settings and the disparity between core counts in the bios. Ryzen Master was just another thing and I knew AMD were releasing an update to sort out the telemetry in that but I wasn't happy with the instability of the system. Even with a CCD disabled it should work at stock settings and it simply didn't.

I had a choice of waiting to see if a mobo update would sort the problem and putting up with being dumped out of raids etc, sometimes up to every 20 mins, or returning and trying a new chip.

Personally I think that if AMD are putting chips out that behave like this then the BIOS code they supply to mobo manufacturers should make sure it's up to scratch to prevent problems at stock settings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I did wonder about that but then it didn't explain the constant BSODs and reboots at default settings and the disparity between core counts in the bios. Ryzen Master was just another thing and I knew AMD were releasing an update to sort out the telemetry in that but I wasn't happy with the instability of the system. Even with a CCD disabled it should work at stock settings and it simply didn't.

I had a choice of waiting to see if a mobo update would sort the problem and putting up with being dumped out of raids etc, sometimes up to every 20 mins, or returning and trying a new chip.

Personally I think that if AMD are putting chips out that behave like this then the BIOS code they supply to mobo manufacturers should make sure it's up to scratch to prevent problems at stock settings.
I wouldn't be happy if that had been my experience either TBH, very understandable.

Soldato
On the one hand its something, on the other a sample size of 1 (or three) isn't too far from nothing when you're after a result for "AMD Ryzen".

Associate
OP
Op and thread title updated with mindfactory.de estimates (thanks @Zeeflyboy).

Please stop attacking one-another (and more importantly me) if you don't like the number. No one has the final RMA/failure datasets yet so we're all trying to interpolate and predict reality; everyone I've read here's doing it in good faith.

Caporegime
This has been debunked. PowerGPU deleted the tweet, PC World gathered data from other vendors.

Ryzen 5000 series fails at 2.9 percent.
Ryzen 3000 series fails at 3 percent.
ThreadRipper 3000 series fails at 2.5 percent.

Intel 9th-gen fails at 0.9 percent.
Intel 10th-gen fails at 1.2 percent.

3% which is higher than Intel but their 14nm is far more mature.
These CPU's are also NOT DEAD, as PowerGPU reported, they are rejected for failing their torture test requirements, that being stress tested with high frequency RAM with all RAM slots occupied. "They didn't pass muster for frequency or letency"

Other tech journalists had spoken with their countries retailers, Hardware Unboxed reported under 2% failure rates for Ryzen 5000 in Australia, Mindfactory reported under 1% for Ryzen 5000 in the EU.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3608349/ryzen-5000-failure-rates-we-reality-check-the-claims.html

Associate
OP
This has been debunked. PowerGPU deleted the tweet, PC World gathered data from other vendors.

These CPU's are also NOT DEAD, as PowerGPU reported, they are rejected for failing their torture test requirements, that being stress tested with high frequency RAM with all RAM slots occupied. "They didn't pass muster for frequency or letency"

Other tech journalists had spoken with their countries retailers, Hardware Unboxed reported under 2% failure rates for Ryzen 5000 in Australia, Mindfactory reported under 1% for Ryzen 5000 in the EU.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3608349/ryzen-5000-failure-rates-we-reality-check-the-claims.html
With respect this isn't quite debunking, 2.9% is smack in the middle of the 0.5-6% range.

Thanks for the additional info though, have added to the OP.

Caporegime
With respect this isn't quite debunking, 2.9% is smack in the middle of the 0.5-6% range.

Thanks for the additional info though, have added to the OP.

The 2.9% is not a failure rate, its the rate the CPU's failed "to meet this particular system builders standards" a bit like 8Pack might bin CPU's for his systems, if they don't meet his standard they don't go in, that's what that is. PowerGPU said their CPU's were DOA. :)

Soldato

And to show how maturity affects it - look at the PlayStation 5 and Xbox series X - there are over 10 million in the wild now, they all have Ryzen 3000 cpu and I haven't seen anyone complain about them dying

Associate
OP
The 2.9% is not a failure rate, its the rate the CPU's failed "to meet this particular system builders standards" a bit like 8Pack might bin CPU's for his systems, if they don't meet his standard they don't go in, that's what that is. PowerGPU said their CPU's were DOA. :)
The exact phrase seems to be 'internal quality screening' which is a bit more ambiguous, but fair point it's not necessarily borked.

Caporegime
I think scale will have an impact on these rates.

PowerGPU are a system builder, in the short time they have been building Ryzen 5000 PC's how many have they sold? a few hundred? so they order several CPU batches of 50 units, the first two batches they may have had one dead CPU, so "0.5%" they order another two batches and there are 3 dead CPU's "3%" and another two batch has 4 dead in one 50X batch and two in the other "6%"

Ok, so you look at that you're thinking wow, 4 dead CPU's in a batch of 50, that seems high and you're rightfully concerned and you put out a tweet about it, the tweet goes viral, some tech journalist gets wind of it and wants to do a piece on it, so he writes to his nations primary retailer and asks Mindfactory what's your failure rate? The stock manager pulls up some numbers, sold 30,000 Ryzen 5000 CPU's 180 have been returned as faulty, he writes back to the tech jurnalist and says "Our Ryzen 5000 failure rate is 0.6%" Hardware Unboxed do the same, Case King look at their own figures and they all conclude its roughly around 1%.

Meanwhile PowerGPU are getting a lot of pushback because the whole internet has blown up and none of the figures that are coming out of much larger retailers agree with them, they conclude they have jumped the gun a little and delete the tweet.

The thing here is if you're only shifting a few 100 units you don't really have a sample size that's big enough for a conclusion, if you're shifting tens of thousands you probably do and they ain't necessarily going to agree with eachother.

Soldato
Regardless they have stated they get through a higher quantity of intel CPUs and the failure rate is far lower like 1 cpu doa in a long time of ordering. So more like 0.001% for intel.
Also far more issues posted on these forums about amd cpus than intel. So fanboy defence is gonna have a hard time going against the facts.

Associate
Never heard of PowerGPU until now.. so I guess their marketing worked :) My WD 10GB HDD was DOA, I returned it and got a working one, been fine since. Thats a failure rate of 50% based on the two samples I used. That's what a warranty is for.

Back
Top Bottom